Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Watched an update from John Campbell and he reckoned that back in March cases were ten times the reported value.
Now even though cases are high theyre more in line with real numbers. Certainly not a tenth of actual figures.
Not sure at what point they will need to clamp down further, as seen on this thread earlier pubs closing at ten isnt working. Its actually making things worse.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Watched an update from John Campbell and he reckoned that back in March cases were ten times the reported value.
Now even though cases are high theyre more in line with real numbers. Certainly not a tenth of actual figures.
Not sure at what point they will need to clamp down further, as seen on this thread earlier pubs closing at ten isnt working. Its actually making things worse.

Surely the solution for Scotland is to kill all the Tories.

We should be opening up further, not clamping down further. 

Every restriction has made things worse 
When we locked down we should have implemented a massive track and trace operation. Could have almost have removed covid as china has done.
They tested an entire city due to one outbreak.
We are hopeless.

How are you arriving at that conclusion? Closing pubs at ten seems stupid and pointless tbh, but given they always say a change takes two to three weeks to be seen, what's your basis for this?

40 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Yes, I’m bored of you as well 

9 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I can only assume that you’re not bored of me then as you keep replying. 

Not that bored as to stop replying, though.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Presumably a government that keeps telling everyone who'd listen that we're 'three or four weeks behind France!!!!!111111!!!!' will learn the appropriate lessons and start restricting the obvious infection factory for a change.

Doesn't look like it.

Mr Leitch said restrictions on households mixing indoors , which were extended across the whole of Scotland on Tuesday, would take a while to have an affect.

"It's two, three weeks before you show any difference," he said.

"And we've now had universities and colleges back and you can see we now have hundreds of cases inside those institutions."

Don't mix with other households indoors but go to school/college/university.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

A good number of students quitting their Halls of Residence to return home.

Theres are also a good number of students from abroad who attended Glasgow Uni, many have already left.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18751697.coronavirus-mass-exodus-students-locked-university-accommodation/

Shambles.

yeah, kinda looks like this September intake was probably a bridge too far to get off to a good start to a university education for most.

Sort of wonder how much this could end up costing in tuition fee's across the UK, afaik the additional year is still intact for repeats etc. which new students without any prior study would get anyway but there's also that compelling personal reasons funding you can apply to get if you have to leave your course/suspend for reasons outwith your control if you've already used your additional year.

£9k for new and returning students doing another year of study due to Covid could add up to a pretty eye bleeding sum.

There's different seasonal intakes available for a fair few courses afaik and there are options like distance learning/Open University so hopefully people can still get a quality education through this.

Track and trace for a respiratory virus is a ludicrous proposition.
The countries with the highest Covid deaths tolls had the lightest flu mortality in 2019/20. Conversely, the countries with the lowest Covid deaths tolls had higher flu mortality. 

I’d genuinely be very interested to see some stats for that. Very interesting if true.

2 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Cases have gone up since mandatory masks in shops were introduced 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation#:~:text=In statistics%2C the phrase "correlation,association or correlation between them.

I wonder if there could be any other reason that the numbers of cases have risen besides masks spread the virus? 🤔 

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

I notice that cases in Spain have plummeted over the past week.

So fears of a second wave were unfounded then?

No, because they've risen here so second wave confirmed 

Edit: looks to me.like they've trebled in the last 30 days and are currently rising?? 

Screenshot_20200927-144417_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

57 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I didn’t say I was.

You, on the other hand, specifically stated that if you get bored of something that you ignore it.

As you clearly aren’t ignoring me - indeed, you are desperate for my attention - then you’re obviously not bored of me 

Cheryl Cole Okay GIF - CherylCole Okay Awkward GIFs

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Who latest, tired and just sad alias is this Chairman Mao p***k?

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

More like Chairman LMAO.

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Whos the new zoomer?

How are you arriving at that conclusion? Closing pubs at ten seems stupid and pointless tbh, but given they always say a change takes two to three weeks to be seen, what's your basis for this?
Think the point is that pubs are telling the media that their customers are telling them they're going to the supermarkets for carry oots before drinking further.

Now obviously, they would say that. But at the same time that does make sense. If you're having s decent night then 10pm is very early to be going home, and if you can get more booze then folk heading to someone's house is inevitably going to make spreading this virus easier.

It's a horribly difficult balancing act for the authorities to get right. But I'm still leaning to towards the "restrictions are becoming more damaging than the virus" side of the argument.

Young folk getting this virus is not the worst option if we, as a society, can protect the vulnerable as much as possible, and keep the rest of society ticking over.

Journalists down south beginning to figure out the fact that schools are a major driving factor. Will any politician admit they got it wrong when they bowed to some pressure groups on the schools issue?

I notice that it is fine for 16, 17 and 18 year old kids at school to be in the same class with little distancing but the same ages at colleges and uni must remain locked away separately because their mixing is such a high risk. Staggering.

35 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Indeed, correlation doesn’t imply causation. 

It’s a casedemic!

You're right. There are a large amount of identified cases of a potentially dangerous virus for which we have no magic bullet. 

For those interested in potential treatment options, my MiL is currently part of a trial. 

There are 4 options:

Convalescent Plasma

An anti-biotic I can't remember (azrithmycin or something) 

Plus standard care, which now includes Remdesivir and dexamethazone steroid. 

Each patient (I think) gets one standard care option and one of the plasma/anti-bi. 

Essentially they're at the stage where they know these drugs work individually, now trying to see if combined they have a greater effect 

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Think the point is that pubs are telling the media that their customers are telling them they're going to the supermarkets for carry oots before drinking further.

Now obviously, they would say that. But at the same time that does make sense. If you're having s decent night then 10pm is very early to be going home, and if you can get more booze then folk heading to someone's house is inevitably going to make spreading this virus easier.

It's a horribly difficult balancing act for the authorities to get right. But I'm still leaning to towards the "restrictions are becoming more damaging than the virus" side of the argument.

Young folk getting this virus is not the worst option if we, as a society, can protect the vulnerable as much as possible, and keep the rest of society ticking over.

Can you get a carry out after 10pm - the convenience stores where I live shut then & IIRC the supermarkets block the aisles at that time too?