Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Dutch are probably tall because of dairy products.

A nation of tall cheese-eaters http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34380895

Urban legend tells of a wealthy executive who complained to the national airline KLM about the food provided in business class. There was no need for all the fancy hot food and champagne, he said. A tasty cheese sandwich and a glass of milk would do just fine.[\quote]

So,we're back in the middle of a toilet roll purge,one person starts a rumour that its running out,next tthing they're all on it,what a shower of sheep,human brings are !!!

It's not like we're back in a "full" lockdown once more,shops still open,plus what is the benefit of having lots of bog roll stored away for coronavirus??

Sad seeing the utter desperation of certain people,that they would willingly disadvantage others 😟

On 21/09/2020 at 15:28, ICTChris said:

I really understand the frustrations at people when you see anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers getting airtime.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion but we don't need every evidence-contradicted batshit mental nonsense being given a slot on the Today programme.  

However, one thing about this pandemic and the response to it is that the many of the gate-keeping organisations have shown themselves to be poor at keeping up to date with the causes of the virus.  Part of the UK's pandemic response was planned under the impression that there was no aerosol transmission - authorities have now moved to say that aerosol transmission is the main way the virus is transmited.  Ventilation is probably more important than having hand sanitiser in every room (but sanitiser is also good).

There has to be a way to question repsonses and information but avoid giving a platform to Ian Brown-style idiocy.  We don't seem to have found it.

56 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Genuine question, and I'm not necessarily saying it's an issue in this case, but where does the line fall between the government not understanding human behaviour and the public acting like fannies regardless?

While people knowingly disregarding regulations and guidelines shouldn't do it, the blame falls on the governments. When they're deciding on the viability and practicality of a measure to stop the spread they need to consider how likely it is that people will fail to comply and what impact non-compliance would have on the success of the measure in reducing the spread.

In the specific case of pubs closing at 10pm, anyone who couldn't forsee that turfing pished people out of pubs at the same time hours earlier than usual when they all want to continue drinking would then lead to people congregating outside or possibly even going back to homes together to do so - taking them from an environment where distancing and hygiene measures are enforced to one where they won't be at all - is a moron.

Regardless of the people disregarding regulations in this way being responsible for their own behaviour, no government which came up with this can say they're powerless if people don't comply and wring their hands asking why it's happening when literally everyone who's ever been in a pub at the weekend could have told you this would happen.

Edited by Dunning1874

30 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

So,we're back in the middle of a toilet roll purge,one person starts a rumour that its running out,next tthing they're all on it,what a shower of sheep,human brings are !!!

It's not like we're back in a "full" lockdown once more,shops still open,plus what is the benefit of having lots of bog roll stored away for coronavirus??

Sad seeing the utter desperation of certain people,that they would willingly disadvantage others 😟

They're not like tomatoes, they don't go bad.

Heard on the radio that there was very little issue with the 10pm curfew now in place.

Is there a possibility most people have just decided to stop attending the pub? I know I made the decision not to bother until it’s back to normal hours.

Heard on the radio that there was very little issue with the 10pm curfew now in place.

Is there a possibility most people have just decided to stop attending the pub? I know I made the decision not to bother until it’s back to normal hours.
Honestly not sure when il next be in a pub. Post lockdown pub experience has been a mixed bag whenever iv been put and short of going into one with the wife if we go out for dinner or that, I'm not sure theres much point. Shite state of affairs.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Honestly not sure when il next be in a pub. Post lockdown pub experience has been a mixed bag whenever iv been put and short of going into one with the wife if we go out for dinner or that, I'm not sure theres much point. Shite state of affairs.

I've only been in a pub once since lockdown and it was shite. No music and no standing at the bar.

I'd rather just have a few cans at home while watching a film TBH.

So eh, the 'NHS' English app is supposed to let you upload details of a test result, for the obvious reason that if you've tested positive it can alert other app users and so on. You know, the whole point of exercise. However:

If you've had your test carried out  by Public Health England, the ONS or the fucking National Health Service itself it can't be linked with the app. Only if the private sector has carried it out.

The UK is a fundamentally ridiculous failed state.

See if the vaccine does get approved, what's to stop it being fired out in the form of a nasal spray like they can do for flu rather than an injection that requires a doctor or nurse appointment to give it out? Wondering if it could be a quicker way to get more coverage?

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

See if the vaccine does get approved, what's to stop it being fired out in the form of a nasal spray like they can do for flu rather than an injection that requires a doctor or nurse appointment to give it out? Wondering if it could be a quicker way to get more coverage?

I'd have thought it would take longer to set up manufacture and more expensive.

Excess deaths is still something like 5th in Europe behind Scotland, England, Spain and maybe Italy. They fucked the care homes situation as badly as here

“Excess deaths” is a pretty shite measure tbf. There are something like 15,000 excess deaths in the UK not caused by coronavirus.