Coronavirus (COVID-19)

When I started Uni nearly 30 years ago some Freshers ended up sleeping in the old Crombie Halls dining room, a bit like a backpackers hostel, because Aberdeen Uni hadn't the space to accommodate them all as was promised to Freshers. I don't think this lasted more than a week although I'm sure some ended up in accommodation in Stonehaven rather than near the campus. It wasn't a great situation and there were complaints but I think most of those involved just put up with things for the week they were there.

Back then though outside of the student newspaper and perhaps page 12 of the Depressing Journal I don't remember the media giving two hoots. There were other things to worry about such as the war in Croatia, the break up of the Soviet Union, Britain's membership of the ERM, the Poll Tax and whether Alex Smith's Dons could challenge Rangers. 

Hearing a Glasgow Uni student on Radio 4 news this afternoon just reminded me of this and I thought "at least you got a room when you arrived in your Student Halls".

47 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I reckon I could have been parachuted into 3rd year university from school and still got the same degree classification by reading a few textbooks. It wasn't even some nonsense like History or Politics. 

The only people that should be allowed to go near politics are those who are trained up to a degree standard in understanding how our institutions work, how we think, and how the economy functions. Some sort of degree which combined all three would be ideal.

When I started Uni nearly 30 years ago some Freshers ended up sleeping in the old Crombie Halls dining room, a bit like a backpackers hostel, because Aberdeen Uni hadn't the space to accommodate them all as was promised to Freshers. I don't think this lasted more than a week although I'm sure some ended up in accommodation in Stonehaven rather than near the campus. It wasn't a great situation and there were complaints but I think most of those involved just put up with things for the week they were there.
Back then though outside of the student newspaper and perhaps page 12 of the Depressing Journal I don't remember the media giving two hoots. There were other things to worry about such as the war in Croatia, the break up of the Soviet Union, Britain's membership of the ERM, the Poll Tax and whether Alex Smith's Dons could challenge Rangers. 
Hearing a Glasgow Uni student on Radio 4 news this afternoon just reminded me of this and I thought "at least you got a room when you arrived in your Student Halls".

Ok boomer.

Heard from a few sources that October's circuit breaker is 100% a goer. Throwback to March's lockdown for at least 2 weeks whilst children are off school and see how it goes from there.

Facts you made up thread... ? You never know these days tho. Politicians will move on with big pensions but we will still be left to try and make best of whatever shiteshow is left over
Protect peoples health and the economy- lets do neither

Heard from a few sources that October's circuit breaker is 100% a goer. Throwback to March's lockdown for at least 2 weeks whilst children are off school and see how it goes from there.

Isn’t the minimal period of furlough 3 weeks? No business is going to be happy being told to pay staff for 2 weeks without furlough being involved.

8 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I reckon I could have been parachuted into 3rd year university from school and still got the same degree classification by reading a few textbooks. It wasn't even some nonsense like History or Politics. 

2:2 aye?

Loving the idea btw that 'reading a few textbooks*' and then being able to pass the exam is the gold standard for a real degree education, as opposed to one that might require you to read more extensively and deploy even a shred of critical analysis. 

Though four years of regurgitating utter shite has certainly set you up well for the School of Hard Knocks/University of Life seetheathon on this thread.

Spoiler

'Textbooks' FFS 

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Gosh, I got that one wrong... :rolleyes:

Going back to your original post which I can't be bothered looking for, I've never really understood why Media Studies is what people lazily reach for when looking to highlight a pointless academic subject.  Surely, studying how things are projected in extremely diverse media is pretty important these days.  I honestly fail to see why it's less valid than the study of, say, English Literature.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

2:2 aye?

Loving the idea btw that 'reading a few textbooks*' and then being able to pass the exam is the gold standard for a real degree education, as opposed to one that might require you to read more extensively and deploy even a shred of critical analysis. 

Though four years of regurgitating utter shite has certainly set you up well for the School of Hard Knocks/University of Life seetheathon on this thread.

Reveal hidden contents

'Textbooks' FFS 

choofed.gif.36238632e894d58261d9a93423e6436f.gif

1408486631_Screenshot_20200925-074933_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.428b6fae0c0233c0a7a502b26bb06481.jpg

9 hours ago, virginton said:

You could make it part of their behaviour standards for being affiliated the university: if they don't want to do it then they can leave. I'd say that anyone who is working within a large organisation should be obliged to use the contract tracing app right now, instead of all these 'but.... mah battery!!!111!!' bullshit excuses being tolerated. No app in active use = a truncheon in the face.

When they released the app over here my employer sent an email out to everyone in the company that pretty much threatened anyone who didn't download it with the sack. Whether or not they could actually have used that as grounds to bin us, I don't know, but they were certainly trying to make sure we believed them.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The only people that should be allowed to go near politics are those who are trained up to a degree standard in understanding how our institutions work, how we think, and how the economy functions. Some sort of degree which combined all three would be ideal.

Isn't that degree pretty much Social Sciences?

As for the degree thing, my lot won't touch you if you don't have experience in a similar field, as well as further education or relevant professional qualifications.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Hell in a handcart. bring back National Service.