Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I downloaded this from a forum and I’ve ticked my symptoms.
Any medical folk here who can tell me what my ailment is.
It would save me making an appointment with my doctor.
BTW I’ve been sneezing each summer for the last 5 years so I’m assuming it’s hay fever.
And I was a heavy smoker for over 60 years but I stopped 8 years ago.
symptom.jpg.f79b0f63e4b637c53a33965192db5186.jpg
RIP Wee Wille.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

All that's going to do is discourage people from being honest when contact tracing is done.

Make the rules too strict on compliance will go done. In Belgium when they tightened the rules for second wave, all they found was when the rules got too strict people stopped caring, and things didn't get any better, and stopped being honest about who they had been in contact with. So they've actually had to loosen rules while things are getting worse.

What a miserable time for students, especially those beginning first year. Adjusting to moving away from home and starting university can be tough in normal times, never mind with all of this going on.

Hopefully the universities are giving them plenty of support, having been happy to pocket their tuition fees and accommodation costs under false pretenses.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/labour-big-gun-supports-vale-22736305

Vale of Leven and 'Labour big gun' battling it out El Clasico style for the biggest minter in that headline (absolutely no contest about who takes the prize in the following sentence). 

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

What an absolute shambles. 

This seems like exactly the sort of thing that will drive people to start ignoring the restrictions and advice. 

Edit: Sturgeon's found her cards! 

The guidance warns: "We will take a strict 'Yellow Card/Red Card' approach to breaches of student discipline that put students and others at risk.

"While we first want to advise students about breaches of discipline, we will not hesitate to escalate this to disciplinary action including potential discontinuation of study."

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

What an absolute shambles. 

This seems like exactly the sort of thing that will drive people to start ignoring the restrictions and advice. 

According to research in the ft, during May to August only 18% of folk told to isolate after developing symptoms did so, only 11% of folk told to quarantine by the NHS did so:

So, that explains so fucking much.

19 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

BTW I’ve been sneezing each summer for the last 5 years so I’m assuming it’s hay fever.

Bad AIDS IMO

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/labour-big-gun-supports-vale-22736305

Vale of Leven and 'Labour big gun' battling it out El Clasico style for the biggest minter in that headline (absolutely no contest about who takes the prize in the following sentence). 

Who could ignore a double act consisting of a 7th tier Scottish football club and Jackie Baillie?

Expect fans to be allowed in grounds from tomorrow.

54 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

No idea where you got that from but it's bollocks. The accepted diagnostic symptoms for Covid19 are persistent cough, fever and/or change in taste and smelling senses. If you have a runny nose and you're sneezing you've probably got a cold and/or maybe hay fever. Unless you get to the point of being nearly unable to breathe for continually coughing, in which case phone 999, a  Covid test wouldn't do you much good, they'd just tell you to isolate which you already are.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, renton said:

According to research in the ft, during May to August only 18% of folk told to isolate after developing symptoms did so, only 11% of folk told to quarantine by the NHS did so:

Jesus christ. 

The baw's well and truly burst. 

If those stats are any way accurate then in the immortal words of Mixu Paatelainen 'What's the fucking point'

12 minutes ago, renton said:

I'd avoid taking too many conclusions from that. Haven't looked at it closely but the first graph compares what people in a sample said what they'd do if they caught Covid, and what they actually did if they caught it. Initially most of them said they would never leave their residence, after catching it most of them said they did. Amongst those who did, it could have been taking the bin out or going for a walk around the block at a quiet time of day.. After a very brief look at the data I'm not sure how many of the original 31,000 questioned actually caught Covid, so not sure of the sample size, it's quite a long and dense study.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.15.20191957v1.full.pdf

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I wonder if we as country, most of us never having seen anything like the War or properly major civil unrest have ever been closer to it... I know folk claim that it will all kick off over various things over the years, but it's never really happened. Not to a major extent. Theres also been a bit of chat on here that folknthink compliance with the restrictions is going to be a problem going forward. Does anyone think this could be the time? What do we think it will take to push it over the edge?

I see on the Championship thread someone saying the UK Gov have told the FA they arent getting any money. What's going to happen when someone emotive like folks football teams start going under.

I think over the winter there might be a huge push from people towards implementing shielding of the over *insert an age here*, and a big swelling in the "all this damage for a flu" narrative.

Just wait until January when the first effects of Brexit will kick in.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Agree completely, although you know it'll never happen as it'll set a precedent forever more.  I've passed lecture theatres whereby oversubscribed courses have had lectures beamed over from one on the other side of the building and thought that this may have well been prerecorded and watched from their parents' house.  

Without the opportunity to ask questions then being present at lectures in person is a complete waste of time.  That said, it would be somewhat problematic when it comes to registers for proof of attendance, although how important they are when you're just f***ing yourself over if you can't be arsed watching from your own bed is something I've yet to figure out.

That's already been sorted and most of the software in use for live lectures can record individual log ins (although there some glaring exceptions, most notably Teams and Zoom).

The real issue is students sharing a screen, i.e. more than one student watching on a single device (so only one has signed in but others are watching too). More accurately, the issue is students lying about that.

Schools know which pupils genuinely have problems accessing technology at home and which pupils are 'at it'.

If a pupil isn't engaging with any of the work set online we know who's not engaging because they're genuinely struggling and who's not engaging because they can't be arsed.

Also, this:

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Without the opportunity to ask questions then being present at lectures in person is a complete waste of time.

Isn't that the whole point of lectures, that you don't ask questions? Those are for tutorials?