Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A lot of lectures are being delivered remotely at the moment, are they not? 
A much better idea would've been to keep students away from uni halls unless in person attendance at lectures is necessary. And yes I'm fully aware that this would be shit, but so is 124 cases from two halls in Glasgow, more of which will no doubt be identified in the next few days and will probably lead to harsher restrictions being implemented due to sheer numbers. 
Leitch is now out firefighting when this could have been mitigated to some extent up front. Again, it's beggars belief that apparently no-one in the Scottish Government, nor Leitch or Sridhar, saw that one coming. 
I'm not aware of a uni outbreak in England just yet, but I'm totally confident that the lesson won't have been learned and the same will happen. 

English universities traditionally start a few weeks behind their Scottish counterparts I believe and whilst some will have held their annual rendezvous last weekend or the weekend before, many more won’t be moving into halls until this Saturday or Saturday week.

Having said that there’s already something like 167 positive tests from Liverpool uni students.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Yeah , slight financial implications for Universities around that one.

They can get behind the rail franchises and all the others that have seen their business thrown into the shit because of covid in the government bailout queue , tbh. 

Edited by Michael W

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

English universities traditionally start a few weeks behind their Scottish counterparts I believe and whilst some will have held their annual rendezvous last weekend or the weekend before, many more won’t be moving into halls until this Saturday or Saturday week.

Having said that there’s already something like 167 positive tests from Liverpool uni students.

Hadn't seen that, although Liverpool was already an area of high prevalence so it was sadly inevitable. 

Being made to isolate in a halls of residence also seems like it would be the pits. 

Edited by Michael W

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It was called New China Virus.  This was before the term Covid had been coined and there wasn't really a consensus on what to call it.  I updated it when the naming conventions became clear.

I hope you enjoy my new thread "Get rid of all the rapist wetbacks #buildthewall #qanon"

^^^

A cynic would say that universities have scrambled to get students back by having some face to face teaching so that they can cash in on the higher fee paying students, especially overseas students, as if there are no face to face teaching sessions then some students would rightly question what they are paying ludicrous fees for, and many a legal challenge would be launched. In other cases students would simply decide that there is no point and swap to a local university instead.

Such cynics would also point out that this is because universities got greedy and starter shovelling in higher fee paying students when said fees rose, and that such models were short sighted greed with zero contingencies that are now being exposed brutally.

Indeed, a cynic might suggest that personal experience has shown them how much the demographics of students have changed in each new intake, and could cite the newest intake as a prime example.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A cynic would say that universities have scrambled to get students back by having some face to face teaching so that they can cash in on the higher fee paying students, especially overseas students, as if there are no face to face teaching sessions then some students would rightly question what they are paying ludicrous fees for, and many a legal challenge would be launched. In other cases students would simply decide that there is no point and swap to a local university instead.

Such cynics would also point out that this is because universities got greedy and starter shovelling in higher fee paying students when said fees rose, and that such models were short sighted greed with zero contingencies that are now being exposed brutally.

Indeed, a cynic might suggest that personal experience has shown them how much the demographics of students have changed in each new intake, and could cite the newest intake as a prime example.

Another cynic might say the authorities are trying to force up the herd immunity figures on the quiet.

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Back to football stadia but at a smaller scale. Tayport juniors average about 150. Tayport car boot sales on the same site go ahead unaffected every Sunday and probably have around 300 people on site at any one time. Catering facilities are available.
They are running very well and safely by the voluntary committee.
Kind of shows what can be done without too much hassle.

I believe football in England is allowing fans in below national level and there has been fans at the early rounds of the FA cup games. I am guessing but I would imagine these teams get similar crowds to Junior/Highland/Lowland league teams.

Shame that this can't be applied to football in this country.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Lecturer pal says his university just lied to everyone. They lied to staff, saying it was all going to be done remotely, then at the last minute said no it will involve some face to face teaching. They lied to students, saying there would definitely be face to face teaching then once they'd paid for their halls and moved in and inevitably got covid, said actually no it'll all be remote. It's all motivated by whatever they thought at the time would ensure the survival of the uni. Complete lack of leadership.

...and that's what the monetisation of Education leads to.

Can anyone give me an example of any public service which has been hived off to the Private Sector profiteers where performance and customer satisfaction has increased? Anyone?

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Jason Leitch on the possibility of students being asked to stay away from home during the Christmas break.

''I would like them to think very, very carefully about weekends at home, and think about how they can make that as safe as they can.

I think we will have to take a view in the next couple of months about what we do at Christmas time.

I think asking everybody to stay in their halls of residence for the two-week holiday period over Christmas is unrealistic. But we will have to put in place something that keeps us safe. But we will have to do that for you and I too. Christmas is going to be a difficult period to live with Covid.''

After we've taken all your money to cover the interest payments on the horrible new buildings we've spunked on then we'll quarantine you over Christmas. 

There definitely won't be any consequences from doing this to teenagers. 

49 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They can get behind the rail franchises and all the others that have seen their business thrown into the shit because of covid in the government bailout queue , tbh. 

So you would be all for a privatised HE system in the UK.

39 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Reported.

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It was called New China Virus.  This was before the term Covid had been coined and there wasn't really a consensus on what to call it.  I updated it when the naming conventions became clear.

I hope you enjoy my new thread "Get rid of all the rapist wetbacks #buildthewall #qanon

I'm sure I saw New China Virus supporting Gay Dad in 1998.

I'm no fan of the paper nor the style of journalism but the Daily Mail are today running an expose that Carrie Symonds is on holiday on Lake Como with their baby.

Now, the woman is entitled to her holidays and time away. She has as much to do with  running the country as you or I. But there was also the - vehemently denied (he was mistaken for Tony Blair!) -  story that BoJo was seen at an Italian airport over the weekend.  However, he too is entitled to his holidays and time with his family.

But I can't help but think there's a whole load of loose ends that aren't currently tying up. If this turns into his Barnard Castle I fear whatever credibility he might hold may just be about to vapourise.  We may not, in fact, all be in this together....

Just now, Gaz said:

I'm sure I saw New China Virus supporting Gay Dad in 1998.

My favourite story about Gay Dad is that on the crest of the wave of their success (top 10 album and single I think) they went and did a tour of the US expecting to be the next cool, college radio English haircut band.  Their first gig was booked in an ice cream parlour, they played literally while people were coming in and ordering sundaes.