Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My work offers it for free, unfortunately through Boots, so glad I've asked for it with no prospect of getting it any time soon. Never bothered with it before, but seems best to get it this year given circumstances. 

I thought that the vulnerable groups got it though their GP rather than Boots, though? 

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The next couple of days are pivotal in how bad this second wave is going to be and for how long these latest restrictions will last. As Nicola Sturgeon said yesterday in her letter to Westminster:

Do politicians continue to ignore the school reopening elephant in the room or act decisively now?

I personally think the head burying in the sand routine will continue until the October holidays (the virus will be even more out of control by then), but you never know.

I think the return of Universities will blunderbuss any school elephant into extinction tbh.

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

My work offers it for free, unfortunately through Boots, so glad I've asked for it with no prospect of getting it any time soon. Never bothered with it before, but seems best to get it this year given circumstances. 

I thought that the vulnerable groups got it though their GP rather than Boots, though? 

I would have thought so, certainly over here we do, we're all booked in for 3rd October.

15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

They do. 

My whole family get the flu jab including my mum who is classed as my carer. The kids aren't allowed the nasal spray as it is "live" so I'll need to bribe them soon as they are both old enough now to understand what's going to happen when we go to the Doctors next month. 

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I would have thought so, certainly over here we do, we're all booked in for 3rd October.

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

They do. 

My whole family get the flu jab including my mum who is classed as my carer. The kids aren't allowed the nasal spray as it is "live" so I'll need to bribe them soon as they are both old enough now to understand what's going to happen when we go to the Doctors next month. 

Seems odd that Boots would put in place a restriction in that case, but perhaps demand is just too high and many have not unreasonably decided that they don't want to wait 

I've got my first experience this year of taking the little one for her flu vaccination, which I've no doubt will be delightful! 

A lot of lectures are being delivered remotely at the moment, are they not? 

A much better idea would've been to keep students away from uni halls unless in person attendance at lectures is necessary. And yes I'm fully aware that this would be shit, but so is 124 cases from two halls in Glasgow, more of which will no doubt be identified in the next few days and will probably lead to harsher restrictions being implemented due to sheer numbers. 

Leitch is now out firefighting when this could have been mitigated to some extent up front. Again, it's beggars belief that apparently no-one in the Scottish Government, nor Leitch or Sridhar, saw that one coming. 

I'm not aware of a uni outbreak in England just yet, but I'm totally confident that the lesson won't have been learned and the same will happen. 

Edited by Michael W

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

''I think we will have to take a view in the next couple of months about what we do at Christmas time.

I think asking everybody to stay in their halls of residence for the two-week holiday period over Christmas is unrealistic. But we will have to put in place something that keeps us safe. But we will have to do that for you and I too. Christmas is going to be a difficult period to live with Covid.''

Someone suggested this to me last night..... The Tories will have a plan that by November England will have joined the rest of the UK in banning visits to other households, but a few weeks before Christmas Boris will cancel the ban for the two weeks at Christmas and the news will be full off "BORIS SAVES CHRISTMAS" headlines.

I normally get the flu jab when I go to the GP for my annual asthma check up, got to assume that won't be happening this year.  

My checkup was back in January, called to book my flu jab and I’ve been told it’s just a jab then I’m to leave with nothing else to be discussed.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Jason Leitch on the possibility of students being asked to stay away from home during the Christmas break.

''I would like them to think very, very carefully about weekends at home, and think about how they can make that as safe as they can.

I think we will have to take a view in the next couple of months about what we do at Christmas time.

I think asking everybody to stay in their halls of residence for the two-week holiday period over Christmas is unrealistic. But we will have to put in place something that keeps us safe. But we will have to do that for you and I too. Christmas is going to be a difficult period to live with Covid.''

Put Jeremy Kyle and Supermarket Sweep back on that seemed to keep most of them in one place.

9 minutes ago, mizfit said:

My checkup was back in January, called to book my flu jab and I’ve been told it’s just a jab then I’m to leave with nothing else to be discussed.

^^^ spends 3 hours at each appointment complaining about bunions

Lecturer pal says his university just lied to everyone. They lied to staff, saying it was all going to be done remotely, then at the last minute said no it will involve some face to face teaching. They lied to students, saying there would definitely be face to face teaching then once they'd paid for their halls and moved in and inevitably got covid, said actually no it'll all be remote. It's all motivated by whatever they thought at the time would ensure the survival of the uni. Complete lack of leadership.

Cleaners have been entering flats as well without being told by management that said flats are self-isolating and I think some halls were relying on the students to self report any cases without any prompting. It’s a complete shambles.

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Cleaners have been entering flats as well without being told by management that said flats are self-isolating and I think some halls were relying on the students to self report any cases without any prompting. It’s a complete shambles.

Throughout all of this crisis there seems to be some obvious things that have been missed by authorities, you have to wonder what they are doing.

I was chatting to my wife about our niece going back to Uni and the affect that halls of residence will have on the spread weeks ago and we both said that all the cleaners we had in our halls were older women, who'd be vulnerable.  I just cannot believe that no-one in healthcare in Scotland thought of this but a couple of jabronis like me and the wife did.

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I've just remembered @ICTChris originally called this thread the Latest China Virus or something like that. Worse than Donald Trump IMO. Sub-human scum. 

It was called New China Virus.  This was before the term Covid had been coined and there wasn't really a consensus on what to call it.  I updated it when the naming conventions became clear.

I hope you enjoy my new thread "Get rid of all the rapist wetbacks #buildthewall #qanon"

Edited by ICTChris