Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Proper enraging isn't it. 

Guidance is as well that even if you test negative you should still isolate for the 2 weeks as you could still be incubating the virus. I'll give you one guess how likely it is that these people will follow that advice if their test comes back -ve

My work seems to go with...

Take test.... find out result next day. Find our yer negative and back the following day.. had always been the case since testing has happened... 

We are still waiting for our first positive case. 

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Any evidence of shoppers panic buying again?

Toilet rolls, pasta, hand wash.

#panicbuying I see is trending again, I guess this is more to do with anticipating this behaviour.

Maybe isolated examples?

Zero.

However we do believe the booker stuff we have will be impacted because some other supermarkets seem to be struggling.

So do have a list of stuff to look out for 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

I'd personally much rather the government pay them to play BCD (Streamed, and potentially shown to small socially distanced crowd) than pays them to not play at all. Even as an armchair fan, having something to watch at the weekends is far preferable to more repeats of Come Dine With Me.

Lower league Scottish football would be an abysmal watch BCD. Even if Morton resurrected the 95/96 team instead of the current ringers to play I'd have no interest in watching two teams punting the ball around the place in an atmosphere vacuum (no doubt on a club website that breaks after three minutes). 

Elite football BCD serves the purpose of entertainment just fine right now; all the things that make Scottish lower league football enjoyable will be entirely lost in a sterilised setup and it shouldn't return until we're back to normal.

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

The CE of Tesco was on Sky News urging people there is no need for people to stock up.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tesco-boss-urges-no-return-to-panic-buying-as-rules-are-tightened-12079353

I've still got shed loads from the last panic, gave a load away to the food bank. Might ask for it back.

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

It's brilliant, isn't it? 

A national lockdown gathers less opposition as well. Last time I checked, that involved the schools being shut. 

The Great British public would also rather lock the gates of every park in the country and grass in people for using them on the grounds of public health rather than dare close the infection sheds keeping their precious sprogs out of the house all week, in the middle of a global pandemic spread by cold-like symptoms.

KrG6aO.gif.4dbe8a02ec59a80de9d99b3a6279d13a.gif

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some serious consideration given to longer term wellbeing of the population, although I do agree that the immediate health will be the main driving force behind the decisions. 

My point was in relation to people being a bit flippant around the risks of Covid as they’ve not had personal experience of it, but they have had personal experience of not visiting their family. I think it’s only natural that people’s risk/reward calculation isn’t perfectly balanced. We do know the risks associated with it spreading - excess deaths. 

Agree with your last point, and every decision they make will have repercussions, but the focus needs to be on controlling it for now, without creating mass unemployment, imo. 

It's a very difficult position, but I think the government and its appointed experts are basically forced to prioritise short term health effects over what might be best longer term because the media, and the public TBH, won't let them do otherwise. Nobody wants to be held responsible for the deaths that would result from taking a relatively relaxed approach to things, and they know they probably won't be held responsible for deaths associated with economic misery further down the line.

Edited by bendan

6 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Did he not say that the last time? Just ended up encouraging it.

Totally innocently of course, they must have made a bomb. The boom in home deliveries might have offset it a bit though, paying people to do your shopping and delivering it can't be cheap.

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Totally innocently of course, they must have made a bomb. The boom in home deliveries might have offset it a bit though, paying people to do your shopping and delivering it can't be cheap.

Regarding home deliveries we made more money last year than we did this year. Its not profitable 

Edited by G_Man1985

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't really understand that whole model - seems shite for the supermarkets when they aren't even close to getting robots to do it all. I've been doing (free) click and collects from ASDA in recent months. Quite happy to have someone else waste their time wandering about picking up groceries and not charging me anything for the service.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Regarding home deliveries we made more money last year than we did last year. Its not profitable 

They presumably feel they make enough in extra sales to justify losing a bit on the delivery side?

8 minutes ago, bendan said:

I don't really understand that whole model - seems shite for the supermarkets when they aren't even close to getting robots to do it all. I've been doing (free) click and collects from ASDA in recent months. Quite happy to have someone else waste their time wandering about picking up groceries and not charging me anything for the service.

Majority of People who can't be fucked doing their own shopping tend to spend more money ( click and collect for example) . So we just need you to keep shopping at the company 

1 minute ago, Shipa said:

They presumably feel they make enough in extra sales to justify losing a bit on the delivery side?

We started it. Other companies have now jumped on the bandwagon n followed suit. So we can't stop doing it. 

The justification seems to be keep the customers with us and maybe break even ( regarding online shopping ) 

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

We started it. Other companies have now jumped on the bandwagon n followed suit. So we can't stop doing it. 

The justification seems to be keep the customers with us and maybe break even ( regarding online shopping ) 

A bit like the clubcard, now you have loyalty cards for everywhere it defeats the original purpose!

17 minutes ago, bendan said:

I thought they might do it in the storeroom but found out they have to do the picking in aisles, exactly the same as shoppers unless they do it in the middle of the night. In Inverness anyway. The thing that annoyed me in the lockdown was that it was impossible for shielded households to use it when it was needed as lazy healthy c***s who were early adopters snatched up all the slots.

Edited by welshbairn