Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Every person I've spoken to today regarding the restrictions feels that the trade off isnt worth it. It may be a selfish view but it's one that I'm now judging to be widely held. I think the percentage compliance will be a fraction of what it was in March and April.

Every person I've spoken to today regarding the restrictions feels that the trade off isnt worth it. It may be a selfish view but it's one that I'm now judging to be widely held. I think the percentage compliance will be a fraction of what it was in March and April.

To be honest it's a pure b*****d but you tend to find that people who claim they are going to do this and do that rarely put their money where their mouth is.

It'll be ignored on a micro level, with individual people still visiting family I'd assume and to be honest, whatever.

What it will definitely do though is cut back on massive gatherings in folks hooses. It won't stop them, and we all know that full well but it will be sufficient enough to pad the numbers the way the SG want them.

I'm just pissed off that it's still apparently ok to sit in a pub rammed full of folk but it's not alright to attend an outdoor football match.

To be honest it's a pure b*****d but you tend to find that people who claim they are going to do this and do that rarely put their money where their mouth is. 
It'll be ignored on a micro level, with individual people still visiting family I'd assume and to be honest, whatever.

What it will definitely do though is cut back on massive gatherings in folks hooses. It won't stop them, and we all know that full well but it will be sufficient enough to pad the numbers the way the SG want them.

I'm just pissed off that it's still apparently ok to sit in a pub rammed full of folk but it's not alright to attend an outdoor football match.

The thing is people will vote with their feet. A small element of people will be out protesting against the restrictions, those are just the same people that have already been out protesting against them and the government knows that. Far more people will commit low level breaches of the restrictions, go round to visit family and friends for dinner or a cuppa etc. Turning that sort of thing into a criminal offense is an absolute disgrace Tbf.

The thing is people will vote with their feet. A small element of people will be out protesting against the restrictions, those are just the same people that have already been out protesting against them and the government knows that. Far more people will commit low level breaches of the restrictions, go round to visit family and friends for dinner or a cuppa etc. Turning that sort of thing into a criminal offense is an absolute disgrace Tbf.
I think most sensible people know that if they turn up at their sons house for example, they'll be fine enough. In isolation it's not really going to make that much of a difference.

I think that it might have been worthwhile attempting to appease more people just a tiny bit by allowing a single individual at a time to visit family or something. Either way it's impossible to police effectively at that level and I won't be critical of people who flout the rules in this way.

36 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

This. I think the journalists (or indeed the SFA/SPFL) need to be asking the Scottish government why a pub is fine but an outdoor socially distanced fitba crowd is not, and applying a lot more pressure than they have been. 

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Nobody's going to be arrested for visiting a relative or friend for a cuppa. It's this refusal to use basic common sense about the guidelines that really does my fucking head in. It's broad guidance intended to reduce infection, if everyone is sensible and a bit careful that would be brilliant, that's all that's expected. The rules can't possibly cover every single circumstance, they're just to try to get you to reduce transmission of this fucking horrible thing by small efforts of awareness.  

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

My room in Hillhead was in the f*cking basement! I'd have gone all Jack Torrance after about 3 hours.

My room in the now vanished Dunbar Halls was in the old sickbay so I might have been ok- 2 weeks of nothing to do but read and I might have got a better final mark.

I'm sure some of the rooms in there had orange walls from the 70s (this was the mid 90s).

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody's going to be arrested for visiting a relative or friend for a cuppa. It's this refusal to use basic common sense about the guidelines that really does my fucking head in. It's broad guidance intended to reduce infection, if everyone is sensible and a bit careful that would be brilliant, that's all that's expected.

^^^ Dominic Cummings found

As much as I get your point, the problem with this mentality is that if the whole country adopted it then we'd end up with everybody visiting everybody that they want to, a significant number of which would end up sitting side-by-side with their relatives on the sofa when the eyes of the world aren't watching.  Any acceptance of loose self-interpretation just allows folk to conveniently bend them as far as their desires require, even if they know it's shifty behaviour.  If anything, it would be a free-for-all even worse than what we have just now seeing as people are generally viewing things as 'rules'.  That said, I couldn't tell you which things ares rules, laws and guidelines anymore.

32 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

My room in the now vanished Dunbar Halls was in the old sickbay so I might have been ok- 2 weeks of nothing to do but read and I might have got a better final mark.

I'm sure some of the rooms in there had orange walls from the 70s (this was the mid 90s).

It's HMP Wavell that's affected:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-university-students-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

Edited by Hedgecutter

This. I think the journalists (or indeed the SFA/SPFL) need to be asking the Scottish government why a pub is fine but an outdoor socially distanced fitba crowd is not, and applying a lot more pressure than they have been. 

I'm not a scientific mind, that much I can contend with, but we have been consistently told that the virus transmission is aided greatly by indoor gatherings.

I have never and probably will never understand how a small number of folk couldn't safely attend games in Scotland.

Fair enough, for a very small number of clubs this would mean a fair majority of their regulars missing out but for the remainder their regular crowds could pretty much attend and be socially distant.

It's a nonsense. And all the toilets, safe entry/exit bullshit that folk spout can be shot down immediately - folk still need to go for a piss when they are at the boozer, do they not?

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

if the whole country adopted it then we'd end up with everybody visiting everybody that they want to, a significant number of which would end up sitting side-by-side with their relatives on the sofa when the eyes of the world aren't watching.  Any acceptance of loose self-interpretation just allows folk to conveniently bend them as far as their desires require.

The problem is people who think the rules only apply to them if they think they might get caught breaking them, which is almost never. Far better most people being grown up about it and trying to do the right thing without getting too pedantic about it.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Far better most people being grown up about it and trying to do the right thing without getting too pedantic about it.

Which will very often be the right thing for them, not the country as a whole.  Although your comment is great in theory, I just see it as being far too unrealistic in a country where messages such as "there's plenty of bog roll if everyone calms the f*** down" results in in-aisle fighting over the last roll of shitter paper in town.

7 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

The problem with any large crowd (and the majority of clubs would have a very sizeable crowd for this purpose) is you can’t control them or enforce the social distance rules whilst they move about. 

How do you keep the crowd socially distanced when entering and leaving the stadium, going to the toilets during games etc? It’s fine once your sitting down but people won’t behave properly when moving around (similar to supermarkets where you see people wandering back and forward and chatting with their mates in the aisles etc). 

Pubs where you have table service and fewer numbers are easier to manage from that perspective. Tables and other surfaces are more easily cleaned on a regular basis etc. 

The problem with any large crowd (and the majority of clubs would have a very sizeable crowd for this purpose) is you can’t control them or enforce the social distance rules whilst they move about. 
How do you keep the crowd socially distanced when entering and leaving the stadium, going to the toilets during games etc? It’s fine once your sitting down but people won’t behave properly when moving around (similar to supermarkets where you see people wandering back and forward and chatting with their mates in the aisles etc). 
Pubs where you have table service and fewer numbers are easier to manage from that perspective. Tables and other surfaces are more easily cleaned on a regular basis etc. 
Going into the toilets etc is flashing past someone in a matter of seconds. A contact according to T and P or the app is 15 minutes within 2 metres. There is absolutely no reason why you would reach that level at the football. Passing someone briefly, standing pissing next to them, passing them in their seat.... All of these are very brief encounters that are happening presumably masked up and outdoors.

I honestly dont see why these things are being made into an issue at football.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Don't talk pish you'd have wanked yourself into oblivion like the rest of them will be doing