Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Bit more concerning however is when you look at the rate of change (rather than # per 100k)...

image.png.1661427861b5a52105e1b3a548583a82.png

image.png.d6a27276b4389736c1a9cabf747c01ba.png

Data from Public Health England; NI Dept of Health; Public Health Scotland, for the seven days to 19 September 2020, compared with the seven days to 12 September 2020. Note: Scottish historic data only available by health board

... and people wonder why Scottish measures need to be harder hitting.

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Is there an up to date map of cases UK wide?

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/ - Scotland

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/ - UK

This website is perfect for seeing all the local area data.

49 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I can’t really argue with that, except to say the actual policy would have been the same whichever party was in charge.  In the end, medical advice is medical advice.  If people can’t follow it, so be it.   I can only assume the numbers of conspiracy theorists are larger than we would like to think. 

That's where the PM/FM comes in. Boris did change his tone but early on, it was destructive with his havering on about shaking hands with people and giving multiple speeches where he made references to how we shouldn't overestimate the virus, this in addition to the practices in his own gov which nearly took his own life and exposed other important individuals.

Like it or not, Sturgeon has polled through this pandemic as having legitimacy in how she's presented herself and being trusted in Scotland across the political spectrum whilst similar polls showed the opposite was true for Boris. You can't quantify the impact on the spread messaging has and comparisons between per capita case rates are always a bit iffy when questioned (e.g. testing rates and demographics need to be weighted) but trust in advice will undoubtedly have a positive impact and that's where the two governments have performed differently.

In addition, it's not strictly true that policy would be the same with differing governments. Resources coming from the treasury impacts the sort of public health response measure you can reasonably maintain. Our spending approach has been nowhere near as aggressive as people seem to believe when you take a proper look at how other developed countries have approached things.

Edited by harry94

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's a bit deceptive when you're starting from a rate of close to zero.

image.png.4da734106a588befd916e9218b2a1bc7.png

You would look at that map. And wonder what all the fuss was about in Glasgow and Lanarkshire. 

Edit: and indeed the areas in England under restriction. 

Edited by Michael W

Another bubble scenario:

Can my stay-alone brother who is in a bubble with my mum travel in the same car as my mum?  They're both arguing that they can't, but I'm calling bullshit seeing as they can act as if they stay in the same household.

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Another bubble scenario:

Can my stay-alone brother who is in a bubble with my mum travel in the same car as my mum?  They're both arguing that they can't, but I'm calling bullshit seeing as they can act as if they stay in the same household.

Of course they can. If in doubt, one in the back, one in the front, masks on, windows open. If they die from hypothermia it's Darwin's fault.

Correction: That's an example of a situation where you have to apply common sense, the rules are broad brush and can't cover every individual situation. If your brother is out and about and meeting lots of people, he should be taking extra precautions in a bubble or not, and in the house as well as the car.

Edited by welshbairn

Another bubble scenario:
You are correct.

They can do everything that is permitted for a 'normal' household.

Just now, philpy said:

Right.... So, my work colleague will now have to sit on a packed bus full of strangers, but he can't get a lift in from me now?? 

Get him to sit in the back and wear a mask and keep a window open. Unless your looking for an excuse not to pick him up.

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

Right.... So, my work colleague will now have to sit on a packed bus full of strangers, but he can't get a lift in from me now?? 

Is that through his personal choice or because of the restrictions?

I can’t really argue with that, except to say the actual policy would have been the same whichever party was in charge.  In the end, medical advice is medical advice.  If people can’t follow it, so be it.   I can only assume the numbers of conspiracy theorists are larger than we would like to think. 
I don't think it's conspiracy theorists that's bigger than we think.

I think more and more people have looked at the data and have decided that the restrictions are too severe - and that we have to get on and live with this. People understand risk, and don't want their lives to be curtailed indefinitely (which is what it seems, as there's no end point anytime soon).

A blanket ban on visiting houses just seems too far for me, and when i look about I'm seeing more and more people starting to do what they want. There was always going to come a tipping point where the public were not with the government - and i can see that coming soon.

When the cases in hospital were revised i.e people who had covid and recovered but were still in hospital due to another illness, no longer being classed as cases in hospital. Before this revision of cases, were deaths being treated the same way, recover from covid but die due to another condition. If these people were until a few weeks ago classed as covid patients in hospital, were those that died during that time classed as covid when they were free of it at the time of death?

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think it's conspiracy theorists that's bigger than we think.

I think more and more people have looked at the data and have decided that the restrictions are too severe - and that we have to get on and live with this. People understand risk, and don't want their lives to be curtailed indefinitely (which is what it seems, as there's no end point anytime soon).

A blanket ban on visiting houses just seems too far for me, and when i look about I'm seeing more and more people starting to do what they want. There was always going to come a tipping point where the public were not with the government - and i can see that coming soon.

Thing is, measures now will only start having an effect in a couple of weeks. The govt will say we can't wait till its so bad that people accept measures, measures need to be in place before it gets to that level. Then if the measures work, people will complain its been too heavy handed. Etc. 

Edited by madwullie

When the cases in hospital were revised i.e people who had covid and recovered but were still in hospital due to another illness, no longer being classed as cases in hospital. Before this revision of cases, were deaths being treated the same way, recover from covid but die due to another condition. If these people were until a few weeks ago classed as covid patients in hospital, were those that died during that time classed as covid when they were free of it at the time of death?

It was sorted months ago, maybe into August in England but May/June in the rest of the UK.

Positive test within 28 days of death = included in the ‘official’ number which is currently at 41,788. The data was backdated when the 28 day requirement came in.