Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I understand that household mixing will NOT yet be prohibited in England. The rule of 6 gets one last chance.
In fairness, that rule only came in last Monday (7 days ago) so we're not at a stage just yet to see if that will have the desired effect with case numbers (I most definitely have ny doubts though).

I know exactly who staffed them in my local authority. During Easter they were open 8-6. Teachers only worked 9-3. YWs worked 8-9 and 3-6. Teachers could also do a maximum of 2 days.
In summer HTs and year heads were in the hubs but it was YWs and active schools workers who took the kids.
Anyway  I was being tongue in cheek. Everyone is entitled to their contractually agreed holidays 
Our unprompted staff were on the rota during the summer holidays - voluntarily.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Johnson is going to announce that people should work from home, a big U-turn for the U.K. government.

Source for this? Not that a u-turn is a surprise, right enough. 

I was going to have my first day in the office for 6 months on Thursday so looks like that's going in the bin. 

Surely the Scottish Gov aren’t going to do an outright ban on pubs and restaurants.. is there evidence that they’re causing that big a problem? To a point I can understand closing early but to shut the whole thing down will be a tragedy for many out there. I work quite closely with a number of bars/restaurants in Glasgow and the majority of them are already a baw hair from closing down.. a complete ban will shut them down for good and leave thousands potentially unemployed. 

I don’t know if the government’s advisors are telling them that the hospitals are almost certainly going to be overwhelmed, or whether to expect social unrest with the stricter measures being implemented, but the army seem to be very mobile at the moment. This past fortnight I’ve been working pretty much the length and breadth of the central belt and south of Scotland, and a few visits to #perthshire too. Think I’ve been passing at least 2 or 3 convoys of army lorry’s, trucks and jeeps every day on all the motorways and main routes.

Source for this? Not that a u-turn is a surprise, right enough. 
I was going to have my first day in the office for 6 months on Thursday so looks like that's going in the bin. 

New Statesman political editor tweeted it, it’s been briefed to several papers.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

An outright ban on pubs and restaurants, while the government refuses to extend/bring back furlough would just completely rip the arse out of the whole sector.

Would be complete madness, so watch them go ahead and do it.

Would be prime for u-turn Boris to do what he does best, 48 hours after ruling it out entirely. 

11 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Surely the Scottish Gov aren’t going to do an outright ban on pubs and restaurants.. is there evidence that they’re causing that big a problem? To a point I can understand closing early but to shut the whole thing down will be a tragedy for many out there. I work quite closely with a number of bars/restaurants in Glasgow and the majority of them are already a baw hair from closing down.. a complete ban will shut them down for good and leave thousands potentially unemployed. 

The schools must be defended at all costs so restaurants/pubs are a convenient scapegoat to be sacrificed. 

Pretty sure Leitch has said before that gatherings in the home have been the biggest spreader of the virus. I'm sure that'll be gone shortly as well, right enough. 

6 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

WFH is still the default setting for Scotland and has been for some time, so not sure that announcement will change much here.

It is but more and more companies seem to be ignoring it. I know of people whose jobs can easily be done from home who are being encouraged or even choosing themselves to go in part of the week, and I’m sure there’s others on here who’ve said similar.

17 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Without a commitment to extend the furlough from the UK Govt, I can't see how the Scottish Government can impose lockdown measures that involve closing peoples' workplaces. 

It's quite embarrassing the way the government and Scottish government are trying to say schools aren't spreading the disease. I get that they may be a necessary evil and one of the few vital places that need to stay open - but let's not just blame others and try and say, 'Aw but kids don't transmit it much, so it's fine and obviously it's because you're all having house parties'.

Edited by Ludo*1

40 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I don’t know if the government’s advisors are telling them that the hospitals are almost certainly going to be overwhelmed, or whether to expect social unrest with the stricter measures being implemented, but the army seem to be very mobile at the moment. This past fortnight I’ve been working pretty much the length and breadth of the central belt and south of Scotland, and a few visits to #perthshire too. Think I’ve been passing at least 2 or 3 convoys of army lorry’s, trucks and jeeps every day on all the motorways and main routes.

It's more likely that they have you under constant surveillance.