Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Especially when that opinion is informed by that groundbreaking academic work "Coronavirus: A Load of Shite" produced by Professor Big Davie of Facebook University.

I fully believe that governments and media are a bunch of lying corupt shady b*****ds so i have some sympathy for how people can become attracted to conspiracies. Nevertheless conspiracy is basically telling people not to just believe one set of information without question whilst expecting them to do so with another set

Plenty of people questions masks effectiveness six months ago.  I posted a few examples arlier in this thread of credentialled professionals who did a complete 180 on mask wearing within a couple of months.

Thought it was interesting that Jason Leith said on Saturday's Off the Ball episode that, at some point, the virus will start to be treated as endemic rather than pandemic - it's probably obvious to some, or has been out there for folk who are paying more attention than I am, but it's that first time I've heard this stated publicly by an official figure.

I bet it's been mentioned loads, and I'm just dim. :(

Just now, paranoid android said:

Thought it was interesting that Jason Leith said on Saturday's Off the Ball episode that, at some point, the virus will start to be treated as endemic rather than pandemic - it's probably obvious to some, or has been out there for folk who are paying more attention than I am, but it's that first time I've heard this stated publicly by an official figure.

Sir Patrick Vallance mentioned that in the briefing this morning.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
37 minutes ago, Gaz said:
The narrative seems to be "well five months ago we were told masks were pointless!" while conveniently forgetting that five months ago literally everyone but key workers should have been in their hoose for 23+ hours a day, so interaction with other folk was supposed to be at an absolute minimum.

Its mental. The effectiveness of masks really has never entered my head tbh. All I think on the matter is wearing masks = not queuing in the pishing rain to get in a shop, and that has to be a good thing. The downside of them is that they are a very mild inconvenience, the medical upside of them is perhaps unclear and might well be small, but the downside is nowhere near enough to justify the amount of shit that goes with them

Masks cause you to breathe in the carbon dioxide you're breathing out. This will impair peoples' immune systems and shorten their lives, particularly the elderly and vulnerable who are supposedly being 'shielded.' They're trying to lower the population by making them kill themselves off, and masks are the biggest factor in that.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
35 minutes ago, Gaz said:
The narrative seems to be "well five months ago we were told masks were pointless!" while conveniently forgetting that five months ago literally everyone but key workers should have been in their hoose for 23+ hours a day, so interaction with other folk was supposed to be at an absolute minimum.

Its mental. The effectiveness of masks really has never entered my head tbh. All I think on the matter is wearing masks = not queuing in the pishing rain to get in a shop, and that has to be a good thing. The downside of them is that they are a very mild inconvenience, the medical upside of them is perhaps unclear and might well be small, but the downside is nowhere near enough to justify the amount of shit that goes with them

It's really mental. Even if masks are proven to be pointless later (although I doubt that will be the case), so what? It's just putting a bit of fabric on your face for a few minutes when in a shop. Zero inconvenience for the vast majority of the population.

There are some screaming morons who bleat some pseudoscience pish (i.e. laughably easy to disprove lies) about it all, like how masks limit oxygen intake and make you breathe in carbon dioxide (which we do anyway given the chemical composition of air, albeit at very low levels). Before this absolutely no one questioned surgeons and other medical professionals wearing masks, a practice that is over 50 years old. Likewise no one questioned folk in Asian cities with heavy air pollution wearing them. 

But now some thunderingly, disgustingly stupid folk think masks are some government scheme designed to control people and even kill people. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Masks cause you to breathe in the carbon dioxide you're breathing out. This will impair peoples' immune systems and shorten their lives, particularly the elderly and vulnerable who are supposedly being 'shielded.' They're trying to lower the population by making them kill themselves off, and masks are the biggest factor in that.

I'm really hoping this ripping the pish out of the morons who actually believe such pish, but it really is getting harder to tell these days.

I'm going to say that it is indeed satire.

It's really mental. Even if masks are proven to be pointless later (although I doubt that will be the case), so what? It's just putting a bit of fabric on your face for a few minutes when in a shop. Zero inconvenience for the vast majority of the population.
There are some screaming morons who bleat some pseudoscience pish (i.e. laughably easy to disprove lies) about it all, like how masks limit oxygen intake and make you breathe in carbon dioxide (which we do anyway given the chemical composition of air, albeit at very low levels). Before this absolutely no one questioned surgeons and other medical professionals wearing masks, a practice that is over 50 years old. Likewise no one questioned folk in Asian cities with heavy air pollution wearing them. 
But now some thunderingly, disgustingly stupid folk think masks are some government scheme designed to control people and even kill people. 
Fun fact, carbon dioxide in your lungs triggers the breathing reflex and aids in the absorption of oxygen. Life preserving fire suppression systems contain CO2 aswell as the various extinguisthant compounds because the presence of CO2 allows one to survive in an environment too lean in O2 to support combustion.

Get yer fucking mask on ya ride.

8 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

He said the same the week before actually. And furthermore that we'll get to a point where we have mass crowds at football matches.

In fairness, he's the only politician in Scotland I've heard actually concede that there will be an end to this. To listen to his gaffer, you'd think this is it forever.

He gets a rough ride on this forum (because the good folks of P&B know better), but its to his credit he goes on Off the Ball every Saturday like that

I really understand the frustrations at people when you see anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers getting airtime.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion but we don't need every evidence-contradicted batshit mental nonsense being given a slot on the Today programme.  

However, one thing about this pandemic and the response to it is that the many of the gate-keeping organisations have shown themselves to be poor at keeping up to date with the causes of the virus.  Part of the UK's pandemic response was planned under the impression that there was no aerosol transmission - authorities have now moved to say that aerosol transmission is the main way the virus is transmited.  Ventilation is probably more important than having hand sanitiser in every room (but sanitiser is also good).

There has to be a way to question repsonses and information but avoid giving a platform to Ian Brown-style idiocy.  We don't seem to have found it.

He said the same the week before actually. And furthermore that we'll get to a point where we have mass crowds at football matches.
In fairness, he's the only politician in Scotland I've heard actually concede that there will be an end to this. To listen to his gaffer, you'd think this is it forever.
He gets a rough ride on this forum (because the good folks of P&B know better), but its to his credit he goes on Off the Ball every Saturday like that
He's not a politician.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but we don't need every evidence-contradicted batshit mental nonsense being given a slot on the Today programme.

"On Jeremy Vine at lunchtime, we ask 'is climate change real'? We'll be speaking to :Professor George McWeather, holder of two PhDs in meteorology, who says it definitely is real; and John McGammon, a 'man with a van' from Pontefract who says it can't possibly be happening because it was snowing last February."

27 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Please tell me you're joking. 

25 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I've been quite impressed by Leitch (and Sturgeon) - you can sometimes tell he's been caught on the hop by a tricky question.

The one time I was concerned by a Leitch response was when he was asked about folk being asked to sign non-resus forms - if I mind right, he basically said it was too bad.:(

Edited by paranoid android

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Here @Mr. Alli did you keep true to your word and never go in a shop since they required masks?

Impossiburu. Have needed to go into bakerys and shops a few tines. Most of the food is delivered though. Now get milk and orange juice etc. delivered too. 

11 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
26 minutes ago, Steven W said:

He's not a politician.

like i said.........

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

"On Jeremy Vine at lunchtime, we ask 'is climate change real'? We'll be speaking to :Professor George McWeather, holder of two PhDs in meteorology, who says it definitely is real; and John McGammon, a 'man with a van' from Pontefract who says it can't possibly be happening because it was snowing last February."

That is true but then you have the odd occasion where Caprice is right and  expert Dr Sarah Jarvis is wrong, whichhas happened quite a bit in this crisis.  There's been a lot of people who have had their assumptions knocked out by what's happened.

Here's the clip btw

Caprice, months ahead of the curve on masks.  Referencing Taiwan, one of the countries that has had the best response to the crisis, as well.

I don't want to be a snark to people on this forum but you can also do a wee search and contrast what people said about masks a few months ago to what they are saying now.  It's not that long that tutting at mask wearing and saying "worry about flu/anti-Chinese racism/travel bans" was the 'correct' response.

Edited by ICTChris

There has to be a way to question repsonses and information but avoid giving a platform to Ian Brown-style idiocy.  We don't seem to have found it.

Sacking every journo that was sneering about “hipster analysis” at sceptics of the government’s initial herd immunity response would be a good start.