Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Spot on.
DOES YOUR ACTIVITY BENEFIT THE ECONOMY? IF NO, THEN DON'T DO IT

See this is where I have a tiny bit of sympathy for some of the Covid truthers. Diddy writers like Orwell make up all these implausible dystopias when “Tories engineered virus to destroy leisure and ensure you only leave your house to labour and pay rent to a landlord” is neoliberalism fulfilled.

7 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

How many symptoms would one have to have before meriting a test?

Speaking as someone who is waiting on test results, I'd say judge it based on your own experiences. "I might have that thing everyone's talking about" is a No. "Holy f**k, this isn't right", is a definite Yes.

...i'm not really sure what the point of that briefing was. It could have been summarised in key points in five minutes.

- you need to be stricter on social meetings

- this isn't close to going away

- small amount of vaccinnes 'may' be available by the end of the year

- restrictions highly likely till Q2 next year and probably some of some sort till Summer

All the while ignoring the complete failure of testing and tracing....

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

See this is where I have a tiny bit of sympathy for some of the Covid truthers. Diddy writers like Orwell make up all these implausible dystopias when “Tories engineered virus to destroy leisure and ensure you only leave your house to labour and pay rent to a landlord” is neoliberalism fulfilled.

Eh?

TimMartin.jpg

1 minute ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

...i'm not really sure what the point of that briefing was. It could have been summarised in key points in five minutes.

- restrictions highly likely till Q2 next year and probably some of some sort till Summer

Could've been boiled down to 'don't make plans for Xmas yet'

49 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

@Sergeant Wilson

@Melanius Mullarkey

@kingjoey

@Dee Man

@topcat(The most tip top)

I could really do with 10, tbqh, maybe I'll just break the rules like everyone else.

I wasn't asking for you to remake Dad's Army.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

3 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

Panicking everyone so they're relieved when the new rules aren't as bad as they're expecting. 

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

According to this from Travelling Tabby the local restrictions in Aberdeen worked pretty well. I don't see the point of blanket rules for the whole country.

The outbreak in Aberdeen was from certain pubs, so a targeted lock-down stopping people going to pubs worked along with tracking & tracing the close contacts.

Same with the other earlier outbreaks, like the food processing place in Coupar Angus, they were mostly in workplaces, so again it could be targeted & controlled.

The outbreak in Greater Glasgow, Dunbartonshire, then all of Renfrewshire & Lanarkshire, was down to community spread. People visiting friends & family in other houses, and people having get-togethers, parties in other houses. That community spread is obvioulsy far more difficult to target and control. Which is why even banning  households from mixing isn't working the same. Aside from the people ignoring that, its a far more generalised spread of infection, so more likely to spread in other areas too.

Edited by s_dog

My bubble would be

@8MileBU

@Marshmallo

@Perkin Flump

@ali_91

@throbber

Just to watch the top four fight each other to the death, which would pass the time.  I'd tell throbber we were going to a children's party, so we'll have plenty of cooking lager to see us through.  

I'm not sure flagging that potentially 200 deaths a day by mid-November is the way to go about things. They were massively above that a few months ago so to try and pre-empt folks for a massive lockdown again when the figures would be nowhere near what they were seems a bit counter productive.....

That was a load of guff.

Like, they are only advisors so all they can do is set it out but where is the leadership? Absolutely rudderless. The situation is getting worse, we need to act now... by doing what we are already doing?

Thank f**k we can make our own decisions.

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

Genuine question. In July, the Scottish Government announced that households in certain circumstances would be able to form a 'bubble' household in which they would essentially be treated as the same household. My mum lives on her own, as a widow and as such we could form one of these extended households. This was an absolute godsend for all of us, as my mum had been on her own for four months, and also for us, as she gives us respite care by looking after our two disabled daughters. If household mixing is banned again, does anyone think these 'bubble' households will still be allowed to continue?

It's an "extended household" in Scotland, you don't hear much about the bubbles because that's more for down South. I agree with everyone else who's replied to this, if you stay alone, or with just kids in your household, you will always be able to visit your chosen "extended household". Unless they do something like a mini-lockdown that's been mentioned of just two weeks. In today's press conference, Vallance & Whitty were careful to mention the balance between trying to stop the rising infections from Covid-19 and the effects on both the economy and people's mental health. 

2 hours ago, Paco said:

It is absolutely insane that after a weekend of rampant speculation and worry about what’s going to happen, the Prime Minister simply can’t be arsed showing up.

He’s beyond pathetic.

To be fair, I think it was a much more stark warning with just the chief medical officer & the chief scientist there. Johnson being at it and speaking would just have confused things. They are just stating the facts to try an make people understand that this is a real threat. When it comes the time to make decisions on any restrictions, the likes of Johnson & Hancock will be back in place, because it's them who make the decisions on what to do, not the scientists.

Edited to add: besides, those in charge should be meeting or speaking to the Welsh, Scottish & N. Irish governments to decide on a clear, national plan. If the UK Prime Minister had been at that today and announced restrictions without having done so, while typical of the UK Gov, it wouldn't be right considering both Drakeford & Sturgeon have both asked for discussions in the past few days (and apart from a phone call with Gove, haven't happened).

Edited by s_dog