Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance (Holly's dad) are doing a live press conference at 11am.

It is absolutely insane that after a weekend of rampant speculation and worry about what’s going to happen, the Prime Minister simply can’t be arsed showing up.

He’s beyond pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

It is absolutely insane that after a weekend of rampant speculation and worry about what’s going to happen, the Prime Minister simply can’t be arsed showing up.

He’s beyond pathetic.

I can't help but suspect that something's going on with Boris. The past couple of weeks he's been wittering complete contradictory nonsense, not really going in front of the media very much, rumours of discontent among Tory MP's with his leadership, reports last week of "financial issues", now the latest of this Perugia trip last weekend. I know he's a sleekit b*****d generally but still. As leader of the "party of self-responsibility" he's never been the best for taking responsibility for his own actions but for some reason I think there's something more to it, but can't quite put my finger on it. 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Chris Whitty and Patrick Vallance (Holly's dad) are doing a live press conference at 11am.

Is that true, Chris?

2 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

I can't help but suspect that something's going on with Boris. The past couple of weeks he's been wittering complete contradictory nonsense, not really going in front of the media very much, rumours of discontent among Tory MP's with his leadership, reports last week of "financial issues", now the latest of this Perugia trip last weekend. I know he's a sleekit b*****d generally but still. As leader of the "party of self-responsibility" he's never been the best for taking responsibility for his own actions but for some reason I think there's something more to it, but can't quite put my finger on it. 

Neurosyphilis. 

Seeing more and more people turning towards the opinion of “scamdemic” and claiming this is some sort of government conspiracy to control us all. Quite alarming.
There are legitimate worries about the lack of parliamentary oversight of the infringement of civil liberties but the extent to which people buy into the conspiracies is crazy.

They dont even make sense and I'm yet to hear what Bill Gates and George Soros intend to do with us all when directing us via 5G controlled implants delivered via mandatory COVID vaccination.

Genuine question. In July, the Scottish Government announced that households in certain circumstances would be able to form a 'bubble' household in which they would essentially be treated as the same household. My mum lives on her own, as a widow and as such we could form one of these extended households. This was an absolute godsend for all of us, as my mum had been on her own for four months, and also for us, as she gives us respite care by looking after our two disabled daughters. If household mixing is banned again, does anyone think these 'bubble' households will still be allowed to continue?
Pretty certain Jason Leitch was asked a question about this on off the ball on Saturday.

With the current rules of 6 and 2 households he confirmed that this rule still applied that two households could form a bubble with another provided that the other household was a person living alone or with children. This bubble then would essentially be classed as one household.

He obviously didn't answer anything about if this changes if mixing with households was banned however I would think this would still be allowed to give support to persons who are alone or living alone with young kids.

There are legitimate worries about the lack of parliamentary oversight of the infringement of civil liberties but the extent to which people buy into the conspiracies is crazy.

They dont even make sense and I'm yet to hear what Bill Gates and George Soros intend to do with us all when directing us via 5G controlled implants delivered via mandatory COVID vaccination.

5G basestations

He’s a c**t.

I think we've officially reached peak Sridhar:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/21/local-lockdowns-begin-no-normal-advice-live-with-covid

Rather than tell you comforting lies and what you want to hear, I’m going to tell you some unpleasant truths. 

Self-aggrandising, bullshit opening line: check!

Every country across the world has some sort of restrictions in place. Yes, even Sweden. The narrative of lockdown and release is no longer helpful as we move into a future of varying degrees of restriction.

A bit rich coming from the pundit who was shrieking from the sidelines to shut everything down indefinitely until 'zero Covid' had been achieved everywhere, just a few months ago.

Research has shown that 97% of “super-spreading” events occur indoors, and that outdoor transmission is minimal. If an indoor setting is poorly ventilated, crowded and no one is wearing face coverings, it is best to avoid it.

It goes without saying that with a virus that spreads from person to person, the more contacts you have, the more likely you will have to isolate because one of them tests positive. How many people are you in close contact with each week? This means people who you are in physically close contact with for an extended period of time (more than 10 minutes) at close range. Quality of interaction over quantity of contacts is a good rule to follow.

Q: Can anyone identify an indoor setting that is typically:

- poorly ventilated

- crowded and

- doesn't require face coverings for 90% of the time spent within it?

Perhaps one in which people also have up to thirty close contacts within the same room for up to 30 hours per week?

Spoiler

Because Devi 'Speaking Truth to Power' Sridhar sure can't!

Cue a section of 'but... long Covid!!!' hectoring instead. Note btw that there's once again no evidence provided as to how prevalent these anecdotal cases of long Covid are after nine months of study. It's almost as if they're as insignificant a risk to the healthy population as death from Covid itself. 'Speaking as a scientist' though, Sridhar doesn't actually need fact-based evidence to decide that the currently mythical costs of additional disability in the adult population already justify whatever the government chooses to clamp down on right now!

And then we get to the most risible piece of nonsense of it all:

The UK government also needs a long-term economic strategy, especially for riskier sectors such as hospitality and bars. The “eat out to help out” scheme has been linked to the rise in cases: the government directly subsidised one of the riskiest settings, indoor hospitality. Instead the money could have been used for economic support packages for these businesses. What will happen to them once new restrictions are brought in? We’re taking one step forward, five steps back. 

First of all, the claim that she makes here about the link between the scheme and infections is utter bollocks. It is based on this back of fag packet effort here:

https://theconversation.com/eat-out-to-help-out-crowded-restaurants-may-have-driven-uk-coronavirus-spike-new-findings-145945

that just puts together some terrible graphs while still conceding that "It’s impossible to know what caused" the uptick in infections and the overwhelming of the testing system. A source that one of those "snake-oil pseudo-scientist salesmen" would use rather than the hard scientific evidence that Sridhar is wedded to!

But of course there is a much larger reopening of a risky indoor setting that only began in August, was extended to England three weeks ago and has had a direct impact on testing capacity that Sridhar doesn't mention once in her braying lecture about What You Must Accept. I would describe her as a useful idiot for government policy but she has in fact been using the pandemic primarily to move herself up the greasy ladder into a chief government advisor position once Leitch/Whitty/Valance get fatally discredited by the inquiries to come. 

Edited by vikingTON