Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

One thing I hope doesnt get overly restricted is gyms. Given the pretty woeful state of the nations health and fitness, you would think it would be a good idea to try and keep facilities open, especially as the weather turns shite.

Can’t tax gyms though.

My first reaction when reading the headlines about the possible/inevitable cancellation of the Nat 5 exams were that the Gov’t are planning for either some more nationwide school closures (my gut instinct is that this will be highly unlikely) or the moving to a blended model, if and when it is needed regionally.

Must admit, working in a school has felt incredibly ‘normal’ these last six weeks. Other than a few non-attenders, maybe slightly more than usual, we have been just getting on with things, which makes me feel like school closures are highly unlikely.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

According to this from Travelling Tabby the local restrictions in Aberdeen worked pretty well. I don't see the point of blanket rules for the whole country.

image.thumb.png.c3b9184a6dfbbf75d5aa9ad36da987e9.png

Travelling Tabby is a brilliant site. Fair play to whoever is behind that, it's my go to for all the facts and figures. 

Also, the Lockdown in Aberdeen did seem to work wonders but I don't think it'll quite work in more deprived areas where law abiding isn't quite the norm. In the height of Lockdown my sons Street in Govan had plenty of house gatherings with the police there most weekends to break them up. 

Midday tomorrow the following announcement from ScotGov -

3 week restriction on household visits across Scotland, with a 10pm curfew on hospitality.

Fines starting from £1000 for failure to self isolate, rising up to £10,000 for repeat offenders.

Greater Glasgow and Lanarkshire - Hospitality to close from 7pm.

I can also see a potential statement about schools moving to a blended model if it doesn’t improve by November.
Is this fact?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Following on from the towering inferno of success that was the last restriction prediction game, what are peoples predictions for the following:

When will the next set of nationwide restrictions be announced for UK/Scotland?

What will those restrictions entail?

My prediction is that by 5pm tomorrow the Scottish government will have announced that all household visits will be banned for three weeks, fines of £11,000 for not self-isolating and restrictions on opening hours for hospitality, something like 10pm curfew.

The UK Government will make an announcement at 9pm on the One Nation Tory sub-Reddit of the same but with a load of confusing exceptions emphasised.

Todd is God to claim he predicted it weeks ago, and post some shite graph

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Following on from the towering inferno of success that was the last restriction prediction game, what are peoples predictions for the following:

When will the next set of nationwide restrictions be announced for UK/Scotland?

What will those restrictions entail?

My prediction is that by 5pm tomorrow the Scottish government will have announced that all household visits will be banned for three weeks, fines of £11,000 for not self-isolating and restrictions on opening hours for hospitality, something like 10pm curfew.

The UK Government will make an announcement at 9pm on the One Nation Tory sub-Reddit of the same but with a load of confusing exceptions emphasised.

Small animal murdering to be excused

26 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Be a shame for my kids grandmother plan was to visit from outer hebrides  about 8th October to look after dogs while we have a break in a holiday cottage in Perth shire, 

Looking like thats at risk now,  all my working throughout Lockdown has been worth it by Fucking cretins 

You could let your dogs go feral eating the remains of zombie covid victims wandering the streets of Aberdeen, or welcome your kids gran  as planned, and head off to your Perthshire idyll. Either or; nobody will stop you.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The weekly infection rate figures seem to show that it is 4 health board areas where infection rates are above the 20 per 100,000 level.

Some are well below this.

As I keep asking - what is so different about these areas compared to the rest? Screenshot_20200920_222638.jpeg

Don’t know why I’m surprised to see Borders up there in joint second place but I am. Think I was expecting it to be one of the bigger more densely populated areas.

Prediction....

The 5 mile travel ban to be restarted

Restaurants-take away only again.

Pubs to have 7/8pm curfews

Gyms to close again.

Shielding of some form reintroduced.

1 'piece' of fitness activity per day...walk, cycle or run.

'Non-essential' shops either closed or restricted opening hours.

Home working 'strongly' encouraged.

Schools to remain at full-capacity with no mention of possible blended model. Possibly even some rumblings about curtailing October holidays, so that education is 'uninterupted' and pupils can catch up from earlier in the year.

All to be 'reviewed' in two weeks...

Edited by Jedi

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Don’t know why I’m surprised to see Borders up there in joint second place but I am. Think I was expecting it to be one of the bigger more densely populated areas.

They like to party here as well you know

Don't see there being any national measures but probably further tightening of restrictions locally.

Cue whining that Nicola Sturgeon hates whatever region that happens in.

f**k knows how you police it but one restaurant/pub per day for sitting in would be a reasonable measure.

I'm sure they'll announce a nationwide ban on household mixing, and probably some kind of restrictions on pubs.

I wish they'd have already planned for a two week mid-term break for schools, but I think they should do that now. One week can have some online learning if they think it's necessary. Same should be planned for Christmas. 

One of the most surprising things for me recently was finding out the Christmas break was shorter this year than in recent years, in Edinburgh at least. I don't think many expected a resurgence so soon, but takes impressive levels of incompetence to have not thought we might have a problem in the middle of winter.