Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 hours ago, Donathan said:

They aren’t dying “before their time” though. They’re dying because their time has come. If that wasn’t the case for the individuals involved then they would have survived like the vast majority of people.

Unless you believe in the idea that each of us has a pre-determined lifespan,  not really...before their time in the sense they would have survived had they not had Covid-19.  

The schools must remain open. It's a pure coincidence that them going back has aligned with a rapid increase in cases.

Hopefully those that demanded blended learning be scrapped are delighted. 20200919_142053.thumb.jpeg.01c343ed660bb1c316db2eff41c4bf0d.jpeg20200919_142046.thumb.jpeg.4f3b799922d8706c74921cdd5748010a.jpeg

Is this type of graph not where we are going to be for the next few months, where we will see it go up and down consistently?

21 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Leitch saying we’re almost definitely heading into restrictions on households meeting.

Because 6 from 2 wasn’t strict enough...

Sounds like a ban incoming. 

Chucking 30 kids from different households into a room together 5 days a week remains just fine, of course. 

Edited by Michael W

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I believe that people who are weak enough that Covid-19 would kill them are clearly pretty close to death anyway.

We should wait till people get to a certain level of "weakness" and just put a bullet in the back of their heads. They're more or less done anyway, right

Edited by madwullie

How is it that we are in Mid to Late September, and Hancock et al are still saying shit like theres still some hope a vaccine gets released this year?

Maybe someone can fill me in, but i'd have thought that were a vaccine able to be released within the next three months, those involved would know that definitively. Surely even after testing theres weeks if not months of work on approvals and general beurocracy type stuff? My assumption here is that if they are only saying maybe this year, then its definitely not this year. Am I wrong?

The vaccine stuff is just jam tomorrow from a group of politicians that are incapable of delivering a message without trying to put some positive spin on it, even if just to add false hope so that we'll accept whatever restrictions they decide to implement. 

We'll get the vaccine when and if it's ready. I would like it ASAP, but politicians making vague statements about them adds absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

The vaccine stuff is just jam tomorrow from a group of politicians that are incapable of delivering a message without trying to put some positive spin on it, even if just to add false hope so that we'll accept whatever restrictions they decide to implement. 

We'll get the vaccine when and if it's ready. I would like it ASAP, but politicians making vague statements about them adds absolutely nothing. 

Trump is going to push any old shite out as a "vaccine" in october.....nap

I believe that people who are weak enough that Covid-19 would kill them are clearly pretty close to death anyway.
That is utter bollocks ! They will mostly have underlying health issues but those in themselves do not mean they are close to death. Many in this group are also not particularly old. You really have convinced yourself this will only kill people already at deaths door !!!

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I've volunteered to be a guinea pig for it, you can thank me later, maybe.

How is it that we are in Mid to Late September, and Hancock et al are still saying shit like theres still some hope a vaccine gets released this year?
Maybe someone can fill me in, but i'd have thought that were a vaccine able to be released within the next three months, those involved would know that definitively. Surely even after testing theres weeks if not months of work on approvals and general beurocracy type stuff? My assumption here is that if they are only saying maybe this year, then its definitely not this year. Am I wrong?
Historically it takes 10-15 years to develop one. Thats from r&d until mass manufacture.
Vaccine isn't a quick solution, with the entire world working on one and legal and testing red tape cut out you would still be looking at years.
Its possible you could have a vaccine in a lab and 100-1000 people tested and verified but then you need to manufacture millions of them.
Testing and track and trace is the way forward but its useless just now when you're letting people travel all over and mix together. We missed the chance to ramp up testing during the lockdown. We need a quick test that people can do from home a few times a week.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Historically it takes 10-15 years to develop one. Thats from r&d until mass manufacture.
Vaccine isn't a quick solution, with the entire world working on one and legal and testing red tape cut out you would still be looking at years.
Its possible you could have a vaccine in a lab and 100-1000 people tested and verified but then you need to manufacture millions of them.
Testing and track and trace is the way forward but its useless just now when you're letting people travel all over and mix together. We missed the chance to ramp up testing during the lockdown. We need a quick test that people can do from home a few times a week.

Well, rightly or wrongly, this vaccine is coming quicker than that. That's not up for debate, and IIRC AstraZeneca have already manufactured millions of doses pre-empting approval of the Oxford vaccine so I don't think any of that is really relevant in this case. Unless this virus mutates itself out of existence or herd immunity begins to naturally break the chains of transmission, the vaccine absolutely is the key to this.

I just don't think you can say something like a vaccine will "maybe" be here in a time frame like 3 months.

A testing scenario like you describe would also obviously be a huge leap forward.