Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Is Hancock referring to the UK in this or England for national lockdown? I know our cases are also on the rise but he specifically mentions due to a rise in hospital numbers, something that’s still really low in Scotland relatively. 
Going by the BBC article it's an England only thing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54199642

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

Is Hancock referring to the UK in this or England for national lockdown? I know our cases are also on the rise but he specifically mentions due to a rise in hospital numbers, something that’s still really low in Scotland relatively. 

The numbers in England are also relatively low even if they have risen recently. Hancock sounds like he's overreacting due to the government's previous f**k up. 

There's no justification for a national lockdown in England at this stage. The North West clearly is a problem area and really ought to be subject to harsher measures, but that in itself doesn't justify a national lockdown especially where the prevalence of of covid is low in vast swathes of England. . Similarly I can't see why Scotland would need one either - the overall prevalence of covid is bad in a few areas, but not over Scotland as a whole. 

Unless the NHS is genuinely in danger of collapsing due to the amount of covid patients, I don't think another lockdown is justified at all. Amongst other things, having the entire NHS becoming a glorified covid clinic again is sub-optimal. 

Edited by Michael W

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54199642

Schools (and non-essential workplaces)  are of course to stay open despite the measures being considered. There really is no end to Hancock's uselessness. 

If it really is a severe problem, why are the schools being open for kids to spread the virus amongst each other and why not tell people who can to work from home? This is treating symptoms and not causes. 

Grave warnings of death also being issued. Definitely being buttered up for Lockdown 2. 

Edited by Michael W

Lockdown 2 seems inevitable. (And dare I say Lockdown 3 thereafter)

If it comes to pass Johnson and Sturgeon should hang their heads in shame. 

Scotland's reward for our slower exit from Lockdown 1? Would seem to be Lockdown 2......

Edited by Steven W

I think the talk of another lockdown is just to cover for their wild overpromising on testing capacity. They'll make pubs close a bit earlier to satisfy the facebook mums and that will be it, unless there's a huge rise in hospitalisation.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think the talk of another lockdown is just to cover for their wild overpromising on testing capacity. They'll make pubs close a bit earlier to satisfy the facebook mums and that will be it, unless there's a huge rise in hospitalisation.

Out of interest, what is it with this forum and that word?

I can’t see how they can do it without furlough coming back, also the original problem still exists. Lockdowns will cause more bother than they solve after a few weeks

I can’t see how they can do it without furlough coming back, also the original problem still exists. Lockdowns will cause more bother than they solve after a few weeks

You can lockdown without furlough if the lockdown doesn’t include business closures. Basically the current restrictions that are in place in the Manchester area and around Glasgow could be rolled out nationwide

Genuine question - is there a proxy metric of sort they could use to identify priority kids who should be in school full time? 

If the parents support any of the old firm then there is a good chance they wont be doing any home schooling

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You can lockdown without furlough if the lockdown doesn’t include business closures. Basically the current restrictions that are in place in the Manchester area and around Glasgow could be rolled out nationwide

The current restrictions in Glasgow aren't anything close to lockdown. It's impossible to go back to the lockdown we had in March without furlough.