Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I see the BBC have u-turned following the backlash to their announcement that they were stopping live coverage of the SG daily briefing. To be continued after all.

Yes, but with other 'perspectives'

What a nonsense

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

What a nonsense

I wonder if I could get on with my other "perspective" that to rid the country of this vile pestilence we should be burning more witches...

Spoiler

...and adults that cycle on the pavement

I see the BBC have u-turned following the backlash to their announcement that they were stopping live coverage of the SG daily briefing. To be continued after all.
B..b..b..but George Foulkes and Jackie Baillie got them stopped?

He trumpeted the fact on his Twitter.

46 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

As Christmas is the period a lot of businesses pin their profit hopes on there is some kind of twisted sense to try and "save"it. Given the economic damage that had been done we may yet be all encouraged to spend, spend, spend- you can imagine the sort of advertising "it's been a hard, tough year so why not enjoy yourself? It's Christmas after all" etc.

Me? I can never be bothered with Christmas but I might boost the economy by buying some new tinsel for the tree 

What's actually going to be saved here though? It certainly won't be high street shops as people are not going to lollop back outside during a pandemic in the middle of winter just to get presents: they'll order everything online instead. The hospitality sector is already decimated and the current two household/rule of six nonsense already puts the kibosh on their main function over the Christmas period unless it is lifted. Short of a vaccine somehow widely circulating in time or a relaxation of policy, that's all baked in now. This is just a government spin line to justify yet more whack a mole, nonsense restrictions (10pm closures FFS) that will make negligible difference but handily deflect the blame away from the clownshoe figures in government.

The only thing possibly being 'saved' here is the ability to visit your extended family without @philpy grassing on you, which has no economic value and IMHO wouldn't actually be policed by the public anyway. When it comes to Christmas Day itself nobody is going to give a flying f**k whether five or nine people are in the house next door.

Edited by vikingTON

Uh huh, which renders your reference to March-June as evidence that blended learning doesn't work completely moronic, seeing as this strategy was not implemented anywhere before the summer because classroom teaching was completely scrapped. The choice then was between home learning or f**k all.
The choice now however includes a perfectly reasonable middle ground - not to mention a probably much better learning strategy than your beloved 'stick them in schools all day long' stance. One which is already deemed good enough for the education of the country's college and university students to follow and so should be applied to the country's school children as well.
It's safe to say that you've had an absolute disaster then.

Surely you realise its slightly different between a bunch of 7-8 year olds being taught by their maws and dads and grown up 18-21 year olds doing some online learning at home? That is before you even look at the fact that it would result in a lot of children being left behind by virtue of not having a stable household in which to do the home learning

54 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 hours ago, Binos said:
What a nonsense

What are these other perspectives? Are the same people who wailed about SNP making it political happy to have it back as long as it can be..... Political?

@Todd_is_Godcould present a series of charts immediately following the broadcasts

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Surely you realise its slightly different between a bunch of 7-8 year olds being taught by their maws and dads and grown up 18-21 year olds doing some online learning at home? That is before you even look at the fact that it would result in a lot of children being left behind by virtue of not having a stable household in which to do the home learning

Genuine question - is there a proxy metric of sort they could use to identify priority kids who should be in school full time? 

Surely a second national lockdown isn't an option? The first one did its job in preventing the NHS being "overwhelmed" but what would be the end goal of another lockdown? To trash the economy further? To cause more job losses? To tip some people's mental health over the edge?

Surely a second national lockdown isn't an option? The first one did its job in preventing the NHS being "overwhelmed" but what would be the end goal of another lockdown? To trash the economy further? To cause more job losses? To tip some people's mental health over the edge?

You’d have to assume the goal would be to reduce infection and thus protect the NHS etc etc.