Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Regardless of what side you land on regarding the opening of schools, theres one thing you cant get away from. The governments, and that's both. No free pass for ScotGov here, have had several months and a blank cheque to throw at this which has included lockdown, slow phased lifting thereof, temporary hospitals being built, thousands of ventilators being rushed through, a nationwide testing system, a track and trace system etc etc etc.

If they, having done all that, have failed to get us to a place where we can be selective about what to close/keep closed, orbworse if we see lockdown mk2 then they have monumentally fucked up.

I think most might already be saying thats the case to some extent anyway but it bears repeating that a winter of mega expensive measures for which "Dishy Rishi" will no doubt insist we all have to pay would be an absolute disgrace.

I would argue that if that happens then the handling of the whole thing should be a resignation level event for both BJ & NS.

Neither will gather much momentum up here, though, as unionists calling for NS to go would be highlighting that BJ did equally poorly, and nationalists can't call for BJ to go without also sacrificing NS.

It's abundently clear from here and all over Europe that lockdowns don't really work. I'm not sure what the goal of a second lockdown would really be.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It’d be interesting to see the figures for the same question in March. I’ve seen someone tweet that the approval rating for lockdown was 95%.

That would make sense to be fair. The threat level was perceived to be very high, and the general belief was that it would be for a few weeks, the JRS would prevent job losses, and we'd be back to something resembling normal life in time for summer.

I can see why people who are able to work from home, and don't really go out much would be content with another lockdown, however blinkered and short sighted that may be. But not being able to go out, see friends and family, and do anything really that isn't work or watch tv for a prolonged period just isn't "living" for me.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Another lockdown so they can drive cases low then open up again have another spike then lockdown again?
No lockdowns in the rest of Europe. Last time there was heavy pressure for us to do the same as everyone else

France and Spain both hitting well above what they were previously in cases as well, with no second lockdown. No doubt others are too. 

The UK was too late last time and fucked it - the burning from that is probably what's got the jitters going a bit. 

I see North Yorkshire are also going in to full blown panic mode, despite the numbers of new positives in their most infected areas already dropping...

What is going on? What is the criteria for these lockdowns other than panic because other councils are doing the same therefore no one wants to do anything different.

20200917_123830.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

I would argue that if that happens then the handling of the whole thing should be a resignation level event for both BJ & NS.
Neither will gather much momentum up here, though, as unionists calling for NS to go would be highlighting that BJ did equally poorly, and nationalists can't call for BJ to go without also sacrificing NS.
It's abundently clear from here and all over Europe that lockdowns don't really work. I'm not sure what the goal of a second lockdown would really be.
They just suppress it then if we reopen it goes back to what it was. Its about making sure that the nhs isn't overrun.
Imo a better track and trace plus testing would be more effective.
Indoor events or mass crowds have to be banned though as that's the worst spreader of the disease.
Fully expect them to panic and full lockdown announced within a month. Workplaces and schools exempt.

I see North Yorkshire are also going in to full blown panic mode, despite the numbers of new positives in their most infected areas already dropping...
What is going on? What is the criteria for these lockdowns other than panic because other councils are doing the same therefore no one wants to do anything different.
20200917_123830.jpg.0060c213995a8bd2154b0dba2cb7ec15.jpg

They obviously don’t trust the current data.

Which is fair enough - it’s wrong.

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, Michael W said:

France and Spain both hitting well above what they were previously in cases as well, with no second lockdown. No doubt others are too. 

The UK was too late last time and fucked it - the burning from that is probably what's got the jitters going a bit. 

I doubt if any populace is as easily lead, or as easily panicked, as the British. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, virginton said:
There was no 'blended learning' taking place earlier this year so you are simply demonstrating your ignorance with this hysterical shrieking.

Home schooling was meant to be happening the fact you wouldn't have realised it from the amount of kids and parents treating it as a holiday backs my point up. Keep climbing that hill but it's getting steeper !

What happened before the summer was a hastily chucked together inconsistent mess. 

The blended learning that would have been planned for after the summer might not have been perfect, but with a couple of months to plan it would be very unlikely for it to be much like what happened before summer, given everyone involved in that knew it was a farce. 

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Are you familiar with the Westminster Government? They think everyone above London is ‘in the North’. Probably no idea where it even is.

Tbf whilst anything north of Watford Gap is generally considered "North" Watford Gap isn't really anywhere near London.

I think ScotGov will persist with localised restrctions on top of the 6/2 social restrictions. That latter measure has only had 4 days now, the Protect App coverage/usage has only now gotten up to levels required to be helpful. Sturgeon, yesterday said that from their data it looked liked the spread was slowing down in the West.

There isn't going to be a second 'lockdown' now. Not without the U- turn of all U-turns by the Tories. The first one served to protect NHS services, and to stop the spread of a disease that the authorities had, by then, no idea of it's presence in communities. Now, we have some idea of how to trace it in communities, better awareness of how to treat it, and so far behavioural changes that are either lessening the overall viral loads or that more at risk groups are behaving more cautiously or both. 

The situation, so far is different from March.

Edited by renton

3 hours ago, virginton said:
There was no 'blended learning' taking place earlier this year so you are simply demonstrating your ignorance with this hysterical shrieking.

Home schooling was meant to be happening the fact you wouldn't have realised it from the amount of kids and parents treating it as a holiday backs my point up. Keep climbing that hill but it's getting steeper !

Home schooling is not blended learning, you imbecile.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Again you double down that every parents employment allows that they can work from home which again you know is utter tosh but it fits your narrative. Home working brickies, plumbers, lorry drivers, air traffic controllers, the list is endless that cant.

Show me where I stated that every parent 'can work from home'. Be extremely specific.

In reality there are a stack of jobs that can be done from home: for this group there is not an issue, other than having to deal with their screaming brats while Loose Women is on.

Then there are key worker roles that cannot be done from home. For these we already set up hubs during lockdown and so can do similar again, so no issue there.

That leaves us with the remainder whose jobs aren't suitable for home working and aren't critical roles. They'll just have to suck it up and find 15 hours' childcare either through their household bubble or by reducing their own working hours. There will be plenty of slack in the economy to replace them in the same way that those put in shielding were covered for from March.

It really is not my nor society's problem that these parents have to rebalance their work/life balance for nine months. There is a global pandemic ongoing here and so keeping the diary of a full time mummy clear should not actually be top of the priority list.