Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Let's preface this by saying neither is ideal.

But, what would you rather, a test which, if 99.5% specific (a number that would be increased by lowering the cycle threshold) could allow 21,304 people (based on 108 positives) into Pittodrie this weekend to behave normally, or, we continue to hold nonsense trials of a few hundred people to make sure we can allow maybe 25% capacities at some undetermined point in future, wearing masks and not being permitted to sing or celebrate?

Even if it was possible to test 21,000 people before a game, it's unlikely to happen before 2021/22, so probably after a vaccine makes it unnecessary. Still have no idea why you think this would be following the Swedish model, and am curious if you think Nicola should follow the 6 max and Street Covid Commissars policy?  

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Even if it was possible to test 21,000 people before a game, it's unlikely to happen before 2021/22, so probably after a vaccine makes it unnecessary. Still have no idea why you think this would be following the Swedish model, and am curious if you think Nicola should follow the 6 max and Street Covid Commissars policy?  

I'll answer your question when you answer mine.

What would you rather?

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'll answer your question when you answer mine.

What would you rather?

It's not an either or, masks and social distancing should be possible in October, the Moonshot with the necessary software and app will probably never happen after £100 Billion of our money being shared amongst Cummings' useless mates like that Isle of White app experiment. A quicker and easier saliva test is on its way anyway, I've just downloaded the SG app, Clachnacuddin have got their own bespoke one, the Moonshot is just a unicorn to take people's mind off the extra restrictions. Even Boris said it didn't have a chance of happening before the Spring.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've just downloaded the SG app

Me too. I'm not sure enough people will though, unfortunately.

I'll answer your question then.

Would I prefer the "rule of 6" to what we have now? Yes and no. Outdoors no as we can have up to 15 from 5 households, but indoors being able to have 6 from any number of households would have advantages. My honest answer would be it would depend on what I wanted to do.

As for the covid marshals, I've stuck to the rules about 99% of the time. It would be worth sticking to them 100% of the time to see the absolute seethe from Rangers Das when they get fined and realise they rules also apply to them.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Everyone downloaded the Protect Scotland app?

I'm holding off just now because my wife is due to give birth in two weeks and I really can't afford a false positive from it. I'm essentially in voluntary self-isolation right now (other than a walk or a run every day) to make sure I can get in to the hospital and I'm not taking the risk of getting a false positive from the app because, say, one of my neighbours gets it and their phone happens to have been less than 2m from mine through the wall.

Once the baby is born I'll be right on it, because I'll actually be out and doing stuff that might actually put me at risk.

Everyone who isn't in my very specific situation should be battering straight in and installing it - it all seems quick, easy and non-intrusive.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Was there some sort of ceremonious unveiling of this new app that I've just missed? I'd have thought they'd want to shout a bit louder. First I heard was someone pinging the link onto a group chat this morning. 

Suspect Sturgeon will properly "launch" it in Parliament today.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

Was there some sort of ceremonious unveiling of this new app that I've just missed? I'd have thought they'd want to shout a bit louder. First I heard was someone pinging the link onto a group chat this morning. 

It's a soft launch. 

Let it spread by word of mouth to slowly build up the user base rather than put it front and centre and risk it falling over as everyone tries to set it up at the same time.

20 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A moonshot, in a technology context, is an ambitious, exploratory and ground-breaking project undertaken without any expectation of near-term profitability or benefit and also, perhaps, without a full investigation of potential risks and benefits.

It's bollocks.

Great to see our PM launching pie in the sky plans for mass testing, giving it a snazzy name and handing out promises of contracts to private sector companies worth millions (GSK, AstraZeneca, Serco & G4S).  At the same time as they trumpet our current testing capacity, apparently well over 300,000 per day (but generally only use half of that) when people are struggling to get a test near them, or to get home testing kits, and that's apparently our fault because too many people who are not eligible for tests are trying to book one.  If they put this on TV as a drama people would deride it for being unbelievable.

I've downloaded the SG app, but there's going to be lots of people who won't bother, lots who have older phones and can't run it, so am glad it's really just being used here as a secondary option behind the manual track & trace. 

Interesting to see Singapore continuing to try and improve their contact tracing (not enough people use their app) by handing out more free bluetooth devices to the general public (https://www.zdnet.com/article/singapore-to-begin-nationwide-distribution-of-covid-19-contact-tracing-wearables/). While in South Korea, they may extend their 9pm curfew or just relax it slightly, as despite getting their recent spike in infections down to less than 200 per day for a week, they want to get it to under 50. 

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It will be a busy time for the police/ambulance/fire brigade once the days of consuming alcohol takes its toll, it won't be for everyone.

Probably a good idea to get that Christmas shopping complete long before December.

Lockdown must be absolutely horrendous for people suffering through domestic abuse, has made getting help from support agencies more difficult, also some people who are perhaps not ready to leave an abusive relationship do tend to get some kind of escape by going to work or getting out sometimes. Have noticed a considerable rise in domestic violence in areas i’ve seen stats for. A further lock down at Christmas time (where you typically see a considerable rise in domestic abuse incidents) would put unbelievable strain on emergency and social work services. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Lurkst said:
Masks required to go to the bogs now...

Any hotel or restaurant I have been to have been that way already but I doubt bars have been. Mandatory masks for staff now too is a good move, plenty in pubs not been doing that when it was advisory.

Agree with that,just been up north visiting friends/family and its also the case that masks had to be worn apart from when you are at your table in Fort William/Skye/Ullapool/Thurso and The Orkneys (mainland isle was the only one i went too)