Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This is one of the most ridiculous questions I’ve ever saw a poll based on. Honestly had no idea covid didn’t come out between 10pm-5am. 

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately facetious, but given that it would appear that it's being transmitted indoors where social distancing is not being applied, having a 10pm - 5am curfew would put a stop to most of these "empties" where folk don't give a f**k.

19 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Not saying its perfect but better than nothing. Its also better than the testing system we have now.
Even if it was 80% effective it would slow down the virus spread.
I would link it to a smart phone. China had the right idea with electronic gate type systems. If you are positive then you cant get into busy areas because your smartphone shows a positive result.
Open to abuse but its something.
At the moment we are asking infected people to travel the country to get tested.
Great idea.

If it was "80% effective" it'd be worse than useless, at least on its own. For the kind of medical testing we are talking about you'd need a six sigma defect rate for false negatives, or to put it in raw numbers: 3.4 false negatives per 1,000,000 tests or 99.99966% effective.

A test that was only accurate 80% of the time would still need a large and effective test and trace system to run in tandem with it.

A vaccine on the other hand does actually need a smaller rate of effectiveness, since some percentage of the populace already has antibodies and you maybe only need 60% of the population to be effectively inoculated for herd immunity purposes.

Logistically, a one shot, or one and booster shot vaccine, that may need targeted delivery every 12 months is far easier to administer, than the kind of operation required to keep everyone tested daily.

For me, the best outcomes would be:

1. A vaccine

2. A targeted test and protect system capable of discriminating clusters to a high level if precision via tracking app, in tandem with our current system, to allow for selective isolations and local measures to break vector chains, as well as stringent hygiene procedures and mask wearing.

3. Our current system 

4. Mass testing.

Edited by renton

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, but everyone else was at home furloughed. Something that will not happen again under any circumstances, and something that is prohibitive to your screeching about not having schools back full time.

What's your point supposed to be here? If you need to take fewer hours at your work or parental leave to look after your own greeting weans then that's just tough. There's Universal Credit as well as a stack of family-only benefits you can access as well if the drop in income is sufficiently large.

The onus is not on the rest of society to let a pandemic virus rip through the community again just to keep your career on track. 

Now if you could address the previous point about who the all powerful parenting lobby are who the government are bowing down to, despite their willingness to hammer multiple massive industries, which you previously ran away from like a child?

Well there's these things called 'elections' champ where snippy parents like yourself (as well as boomers) make up a disproportionately large section of the likely voter population. Which is why government policy has been geared towards these two categories above all others in Western democracies for decades already.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

The confirmed cases in the last 7 days, that they use as the main guide to FCO advise, and in the devolved nations the extra 14 day quarantine period, was updated for the 1st time in 3 days earlier.

Expect Nicola to add Denmark and more significantly Oirlan to the list. Both have raced past the problematic 20 cases per 100,000.   She really should be adding Ingurland to the list if Greece (A lowly 12 cases per 100,000) was to stay on the naughty step.

Only Bulgaria and Turkey look comfortable for any imminent sun seekers (Cyprus but you need a neg test)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1139048/coronavirus-case-rates-in-the-past-7-days-in-europe-by-country/

I read that as a "nag" test, and thought only married men could go...

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

What's your point supposed to be here? If you need to take fewer hours at your work or parental leave to look after your own greeting weans then that's just tough. There's Universal Credit as well as a stack of family-only benefits you can access as well if the drop in income is sufficiently large.

The onus is not on the rest of society to let a pandemic virus rip through the community again just to keep your career on track. 

Well there's these things called 'elections' champ where snippy parents like yourself (as well as boomers) make up a disproportionately large section of the likely voter population. Which is why government policy has been geared towards these two categories above all others in Western democracies for decades already.

Shocked to see the best you have to back up weeks of whinging like f**k about kids and parents is that the electoral power of facebook maws is shaping the pandemic response 😂😂😂

Hearing that in Scotland today a patient turned up at an outpatient clinic whilst symptomatic, coughing and spluttering in the waiting room and when asked refused to wear a mask, temperature checked and refused to go home and isolate. As a result the entire clinic has to be shut for two weeks and potentially a surgeon (the doctor who had to isolate the patient after her refusal) out of action. 

3 minutes ago, MrMartinBlack9 said:

Random, but be interesting to see if the Highland League will still be allowed to start if Nicola Sturgeon announces tomorrow that restrictions will be in place like in England.

Keeping my fingers crossed that fans will still be allowed to attend games at that level.

Can't see why not, there should be a totally different approach to giving the go ahead to non league football. Doubt she'll confirm it tomorrow though.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hearing that in Scotland today a patient turned up at an outpatient clinic whilst symptomatic, coughing and spluttering in the waiting room and when asked refused to wear a mask, temperature checked and refused to go home and isolate. As a result the entire clinic has to be shut for two weeks and potentially a surgeon (the doctor who had to isolate the patient after her refusal) out of action. 

Been told this exact same story.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

There should be enough standing room around most non league grounds in Scotland to not pose a problem. The issue is this one shoe to fit all policy for all sports venues, unless this has somehow changed recently.

As football goes or any spectator sport goes, along with approved precautions for spectators each level could and should be assessed independently.

I see the HL has been given a financial boost to assist with safety measures.

Might ask dad for a tenner then.

Just now, Snafu said:

There should be enough standing room around most non league grounds in Scotland to not pose a problem. The issue is this one shoe to fit all policy for all sports venues, unless this has somehow changed recently.

As football goes or any spectator sport goes, along with approved precautions for spectators each level could and should be assessed independently.

I see the HL has been given a financial boost to assist with safety measures.

That’s what I’m hoping - noticed supporters of sides higher up (Scottish Premier etc) seem to be quite pessimistic about the return of fans next season, but I think the Highland League should be safe enough what with the lower crowd sizes / scope for social distancing etc. 

Can imagine the financial boost for helping HL clubs get COVID equipment / safety measures in place will be a massive help too.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

If it was down to P&B they won't be, though, as there are apparantly thousands of fans that would rather bin off their own teams match on tv, or any other game on tv, to rush down to watch their local West of Scotland League side they have never given a second thought to before...

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Why wouldn't they just deep clean the clinic instead of closing it for two weeks (unless they only have that one doctor to run it)?

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This is one of the most ridiculous questions I’ve ever saw a poll based on. Honestly had no idea covid didn’t come out between 10pm-5am. 

You realise that all of these measures are based on reducing the overall risk of transmission, not remove it altogether? It's why the "I can see my pals in the pub but not at home" mob are a bit wide of the mark. Test & Trace (or Test & Protect in Scotland) are noticing that a lot of cases are emerging from gatherings in homes and particularly house parties that take place overnight, so limiting the number of people that can gather in a home and making them do so during daylight hours should reduce some risky situations. That doesn't mean that it can't spread in other scenarios, but the restrictions are about driving the case rate downwards, not eliminating it altogether. Unless you've been listening to that idiot Devi Sridhar of course.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If it was down to P&B they won't be, though, as there are apparantly thousands of fans that would rather bin off their own teams match on tv, or any other game on tv, to rush down to watch their local West of Scotland League side they have never given a second thought to before...

That's the worry, think they'll have to make it season tickets only if the SPFL isn't open yet. Which will be a bit of a novelty in the Highland League, don't know anyone who has one. :lol:

6 minutes ago, MrMartinBlack9 said:

Don’t suppose you could ask him when the fixtures are coming out as well? Not that I’m greedy or anything 😂

I thought they were out? Or was it just confirmation start date?

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

You realise that all of these measures are based on reducing the overall risk of transmission, not remove it altogether? It's why the "I can see my pals in the pub but not at home" mob are a bit wide of the mark. Test & Trace (or Test & Protect in Scotland) are noticing that a lot of cases are emerging from gatherings in homes and particularly house parties that take place overnight, so limiting the number of people that can gather in a home and making them do so during daylight hours should reduce some risky situations. That doesn't mean that it can't spread in other scenarios, but the restrictions are about driving the case rate downwards, not eliminating it altogether. Unless you've been listening to that idiot Devi Sridhar of course.

Given that the test cannot distinguish live virus from dead virus, I don't know how they can be certain of this from the tests alone.

Those testing positive may well have been to the same house party, but it doesn't mean they got it there.

Unless they are all showing symptoms to go with the test they could have come into contact with it anywhere, anytime.