Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:
It's remarkable how all this 'but... but... long Covid!!!!1111!!!!!!' hysteria only ever comes out to defend official measures and yet didn't get mentioned at all when the government decided to restart the schools at full capacity that are obviously ramping up infection.

Just make sure the boiler is up and running in the morning Janny.

It's quite telling that you both consider 'janny' to be a pejorative term and were shrieking for your kids to be punted back into a giant infection factory on a full time basis. It turns out then that 'long Covid' is not an issue so long as it only affects the pleb support staff catering for your precious dauphin.

Cases are rising fast trebling in a week but hospitalisations, ICU occupancy and deaths remain low.

Will The U.K. and Scottish governments continue on their current course of local lockdowns when cases spike in an area while maintaining the loosened lockdown or will they think its best to crack down again before the latter three measures rise as the result of more infections?

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Will The U.K. and Scottish governments continue on their current course of local lockdowns when cases spike in an area while maintaining the loosened lockdown or will they think its best to crack down again before the latter three measures rise as the result of more infections?

113DC610-DA22-40F9-8820-84BFBC51E51B.gif

Hospitalisations definitely on the increase in the North West of England. Given the experiences we’ve had here, I’d be very concerned about schools starting again there this week.

Scottish hospitalisations still looking pretty stable. We know the figures aren’t right but you’d presume any significant increase would still shine through. Hopefully they get them sorted this week.

On 05/09/2020 at 13:29, Billy Jean King said:
On 05/09/2020 at 13:19, G_Man1985 said:
See since I've had to wear masks at work. If this was the future and I had to wear a mask all the time I dont think id find it a huge issue. Yeh can be uncomfortable but once you wear it for a long period of time you get use to it. Wearing it for a few months now it has become part of life. 

In general though can you imagine the outrage here with those sort of measures yet we are held up as "most severe in Europe". There is very little you can't do here you can do in England. They have just had their first crowd test events and our are next week. As always it's a week or 3 behind. Now being compared to other outliers in Europe for that very reason. NHS has to be the priority as I said earlier, it needs to be ramped back up to full normal operational capacity.

There is quite a lot you can’t do in Scotland that you’ve been able to do in England for a while. England reopened theatres, live music and arts venues from 15th Aug, with social distancing and mitigations. Sturgeon went the other way, she banned background music in pubs and restaurants (it had previously just been one of a long list of advisory mitigations), suggesting that Scot Gov’s indicative date for reopening live music venues (Sept 14th) is unlikely to happen without a rapid about turn, as, logically, Scot Gov can’t permit live music if recorded music is banned.

I’ve spoken to colleagues in England about the ban on recorded music, and the general reaction is incredulity. There is no credible scientific basis for the ban - low level background music is no more likely to make people lean in more or talk louder than general background chatter - in fact some of the noisiest pubs I’ve been in pre-lockdown were Weatherspoons outlets. This draconian ban, which has rendered pubs and restaurants soulless and sucked any remaining atmosphere out of them (less than half full as they already are because of social distancing), costing the industry dear in terms of lost revenue, was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to local spike in Aberdeen. 

Sturgeon said, when she introduced the ban just over couple of weeks ago, that she would consult with the hospitality industry to see if an agreed safe decibel limit could be introduced, but that now seems like an empty platitude, as no such consultation has yet taken place. In fact there is now a Change.org petition urging the lifting of the ban, being promoted by a number of the people Sturgeon should have been consulting with, showing how little confidence there is within the industry about the ban being overturned any time soon. 

Scot Gov have painted themselves into a corner over this, as furlough is already winding down and the hospitality, live music and nightclub sectors are deciding now whether to retain staff or offload them. The ban on background music gives no-one any confidence that live music venues or nightclubs will open again soon, even with SD and extensive mitigations.  At this stage, the signals from Scot Gov are so overwhelmingly negative that jobs are not just on the line, but are already being shed and will continue to be shed in large numbers over the next couple of months. 

At first I thought it was just brinksmanship. Sturgeon’s modus operandi has always been to move a few weeks slower than Westminster, missing no opportunity to castigate the Tories for their recklessness, while reinforcing Scot Gov’s ‘safety first’ credentials, but her continual calls for the extension of furlough, long past the point where anyone genuinely thinks its going to happen (Sunak dismissed this suggestion months ago), now looks like buck-pushing and political point scoring.

Scottish hospitality, events, arts, theatres and live music sectors are dealing with much more onerous restrictions than their English counterparts, and an ever-widening lag in terms of reopening for those sectors still closed. There is now very little optimism that Scotland will catch up before the end of furlough, so jobs will be lost and business failures in these sectors will be significantly greater than in England. WM will get the blame, and much will be made of the fact that Scot Gov would have been able to save all these jobs and business if only it had greater fiscal powers, or indeed independence, but the jobs will be lost and the businesses will be gone all the same. 

There is clearly some political capital to be made here in terms of the independence debate, but at what cost? Sturgeon is playing a dangerous game. I’m not sure if Sturgeon has a positive vision for the future of the Scottish economy, and particularly for the embattled hospitality, tourism, retail, entertainment and arts sectors, but if she does, it’s well past time to start outlining it.

4 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

There is quite a lot you can’t do in Scotland that you’ve been able to do in England for a while. England reopened theatres, live music and arts venues from 15th Aug, with social distancing and mitigations. Sturgeon went the other way, she banned background music in pubs and restaurants (it had previously just been one of a long list of advisory mitigations), suggesting that Scot Gov’s indicative date for reopening live music venues (Sept 14th) is unlikely to happen without a rapid about turn, as, logically, Scot Gov can’t permit live music if recorded music is banned.

I’ve spoken to colleagues in England about the ban on recorded music, and the general reaction is incredulity. There is no credible scientific basis for the ban - low level background music is no more likely to make people lean in more or talk louder than general background chatter - in fact some of the noisiest pubs I’ve been in pre-lockdown were Weatherspoons outlets. This draconian ban, which has rendered pubs and restaurants soulless and sucked any remaining atmosphere out of them (less than half full as they already are because of social distancing), costing the industry dear in terms of lost revenue, was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to local spike in Aberdeen. 

Sturgeon said, when she introduced the ban just over couple of weeks ago, that she would consult with the hospitality industry to see if an agreed safe decibel limit could be introduced, but that now seems like an empty platitude, as no such consultation has yet taken place. In fact there is now a Change.org petition urging the lifting of the ban, being promoted by a number of the people Sturgeon should have been consulting with, showing how little confidence there is within the industry about the ban being overturned any time soon. 

Scot Gov have painted themselves into a corner over this, as furlough is already winding down and the hospitality, live music and nightclub sectors are deciding now whether to retain staff or offload them. The ban on background music gives no-one any confidence that live music venues or nightclubs will open again soon, even with SD and extensive mitigations.  At this stage, the signals from Scot Gov are so overwhelmingly negative that jobs are not just on the line, but are already being shed and will continue to be shed in large numbers over the next couple of months. 

At first I thought it was just brinksmanship. Sturgeon’s modus operandi has always been to move a few weeks slower than Westminster, missing no opportunity to castigate the Tories for their recklessness, while reinforcing Scot Gov’s ‘safety first’ credentials, but her continual calls for the extension of furlough, long past the point where anyone genuinely thinks its going to happen (Sunak dismissed this suggestion months ago), now looks like buck-pushing and political point scoring.

Scottish hospitality, events, arts, theatres and live music sectors are dealing with much more onerous restrictions than their English counterparts, and an ever-widening lag in terms of reopening for those sectors still closed. There is now very little optimism that Scotland will catch up before the end of furlough, so jobs will be lost and business failures in these sectors will be significantly greater than in England. WM will get the blame, and much will be made of the fact that Scot Gov would have been able to save all these jobs and business if only it had greater fiscal powers, or indeed independence, but the jobs will be lost and the businesses will be gone all the same. 

There is clearly some political capital to be made here in terms of the independence debate, but at what cost? Sturgeon is playing a dangerous game. I’m not sure if Sturgeon has a positive vision for the future of the Scottish economy, and particularly for the embattled hospitality, tourism, retail, entertainment and arts sectors, but if she does, it’s well past time to start outlining it.

I've got to be honest and partly due to my perception of key words, I have but skimmed over your post.

Would it be fair to characterise it as snpbad / fleggood?

Scottish politics in a nutshell in those two posts.

A detailed, reasonable, well thought out and written post dismissed as nothing more than a petty independence / unionist quibble because it dared to put the SNP led SG anywhere but on a pedestal.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Out for dinner today, background music and commentary on the Wales vBulgaria screen in 1 room and Italian GP in another. No one batted an eyelid and it was going like a fare with golfers and day trippers. Masks were being mandated though away from tables.

Where were you, if you don't mind me asking

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Scottish politics in a nutshell in those two posts.

A detailed, reasonable, well thought out and written post dismissed as nothing more than a petty independence / unionist quibble because it dared to put the SNP led SG anywhere but on a pedestal.

Was it reasonable or did it seek to use a worldwide once in a generation emergency to make a local and cheap political hit.

I'm undecided, but others can take a view as appropriate.

1 hour ago, Frankie S said:

You could have saved yourself time and hundreds of words by just typing “SNP Bad”

Interesting tactic this.

"The Scottish Government has in my opinion done something badly because they didn't do what they said they would, haven't done anything at all instead, and an entire industry is on the brink of being wiped out."

WHY NOT JUST WRITE SNPBAD!!!!!

Clowns.

11 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Considering I’ve voted for them for years, and for Indy for that matter, it’s more nuanced than that. 

I’ve no idea of your politics or background. I read it with an open mind until I got to the “Sturgeon...missing no opportunity to castigate the Tories”. I’ve watched most of the press conferences and that is literally the exact opposite of what she says. She is goaded daily to comment on the Westminster shitshow and every single time repeats the “all leaders are doing their best under very difficult circumstances “ mantra. So, if you lie about that what else in your post is nonsense?

6 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Interesting tactic this.

"The Scottish Government has in my opinion done something badly because they didn't do what they said they would, haven't done anything at all instead, and an entire industry is on the brink of being wiped out."

WHY NOT JUST WRITE SNPBAD!!!!!

Clowns.

It's amazing how many people appear to take any criticism of the SNP personally.