Coronavirus (COVID-19)

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes. They put in place a three week lockdown.

Given the information available at the time I was as on edge as anyone else, especially with my condition.

But as the weeks and months ticked by it became more and more obvious it was a mistake.

They could have changed tactic after 3-6 weeks and got away with it. Instead they put their fingers in their ears, dug in, shattered the economy, and created a time bomb of health problems that will eclipse the deaths from covid within a year or two.

And we are still restricted nearly 6 months later.

Great work.

Who did ?

Oh, you mean every Government / ruling regime in the world ???

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.

That my opinion changed as more information became available?

Isn't that what any normal person does?

But you claimed you've supported the Swedish model right through this thread 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I know that, and I think it's wrong. It seems amongst VTs shrieking that he thinks no one else is allowed to have an opinion on this because Marx.

More intelligent people than me are religious, doesnt mean I cant pour scorn on them if they tell me my soul is damned.

More intelligent people than me run about telling others what box they fit in based on nothing but opinions and theories. I think they can be told squarely to f**k off, and while you are obviously correct that it affects the way the world is run top to bottom, it follows from the above that I desperately hope the whole thing gets ripped down, once again, regardless of the opinion of Marx, or anyone else.

You're entitled to say that you don't believe that class is a meaningful structural force in society today. You'd be wrong of course but you're entitled to hold that opinion and to make whatever piss-poor argument to you want to try and back it up. 

You're not entitled to claim that class analysis was a construct designed to keep good, honest working men in their place all along: this is because we already know the biography and key ideas of influential thinkers on class - Marx included - and they do not tally with that in any way whatsoever. This is the point where you should correct this factually wrong view at no cost to yourself rather than continue signalling 'I am a total moron' in big flashing lights to anyone who has ever picked up a credible book on the topic in their lives.

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not wanting to argue with you as I know you've had an SNP hat, scarf and season ticket for about 60 years.

I really don't care whether or not they are a means to an end, especially when there is no guarantee that end is any time soon.

They've made a number of errors over the last 5 months, and the tone of their daily briefings has consistently pissed me off.

They take for granted that they will get the pro-Indy vote, which has caused them to take their eye off the ball in terms of looking after the day to day stuff.

They've lost my vote, and it will take more than "but you need to!" to win it back.

Fair do's but you ARE throwing the toys out of the pram.

We need Independence so the more folk who vote for SNP/Independence the better.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

No. I don't plan on voting against the SNP. I just won't be voting for them.

I think the party need a bit of a shake, and a reduced vote share might do that.

If that comes to pass will you take credit for us losing independence?

Not to mention that, despite excess deaths being largely comparable on a par with those in England, the übernats are falling over themselves to lavish praise on how wonderfully safe the care home Butcher of Bute House has kept us all, whilst simultaneously hammering BJ for his handling of it.

That is a very poor description of Nicola Sturgeon. You should be ashamed.

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

If that comes to pass will you take credit for us losing independence?

If the SNP lose their right to govern the blame lies with them for losing their voters, not me for not blindly supporting them. 

3 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

That is a very poor description of Nicola Sturgeon. You should be ashamed.

Is it? What term would you use to describe the person at the head of a country who moved infectious people from hospital into an environment full of the very people the virus they were infected with was most likely to kill?

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Who did ?

Oh, you mean every Government / ruling regime in the world ???

I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe other countries effectively mothballed their entire healthcare system unless you required treatment for one particular disease.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

As the seething Inverclyde revolutionary popular front states above, it's a combination of wealth and employment status that defines your social class.  Like any definition there are fuzzy edges but the general standard is the ABC1 used by most market research companies.  

Grade Social class Chief income earner's occupation Frequency in 2008[3] Frequency in 2016[4]
A upper middle class Higher managerial, administrative or professional 4% 4%
B middle middle class Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional 23% 23%
C1 lower middle class Supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional 29% 28%
C2 skilled working class Skilled manual workers 21% 20%
D working class Semi-skilled and unskilled manual workers 15% 15%
E non working State pensioners, casual and lowest grade workers, unemployed with state benefits only 8% 10%

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm an E!

Back in the day I was a fireman on steam & diesel trains until Dr Beeching made me redundant in 1969.

I signed on at the bru and the guy asks me what job I had done previously.

I said a fireman on the railway.

He laughed and said there's no many jobs like that.

I had to agree with him.

Later I went back to the railways as a shunter/guard/conductor for a total of 30 years

Based on that I must be a D and now for the last 17 years an E

Edited by Wee Willie

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe other countries effectively mothballed their entire healthcare system unless you required treatment for one particular disease.

A slight exaggeration, I had excellent healthcare all the way through, none of it Covid related.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is it? What term would you use to describe the person at the head of a country who moved infectious people from hospital into an environment full of the very people the virus they were infected with was most likely to kill?

I see you're banging on about these murdering Swedes again.

You're entitled to say that you don't believe that class is a meaningful structural force in society today. You'd be wrong of course but you're entitled to hold that opinion and to make whatever piss-poor argument to you want to try and back it up. 
You're not entitled to claim that class analysis was a construct designed to keep good, honest working men in their place all along: this is because we already know the biography and key ideas of influential thinkers on class - Marx included - and they do not tally with that in any way whatsoever. This is the point where you should correct this factually wrong view at no cost to yourself rather than continue signalling 'I am a total moron' in big flashing lights to anyone who has ever picked up a credible book on the topic in their lives.

I wonder who the key thinkers are on the subject of whether or not I should give a f**k about what virginton of Pie and Bovril thinks I am entitled to do....

Not sure I did say it wasnt a meaningful force either tbh. Just that I think its absolute shite and continuing to use it as a rod to beat folk with (teachers in your weeks long bitch-fit of a case) is nonsense. Institutional racism is a meaningful force in todays society. Doesnt mean we shouldnt try to completely eradicate it.

Religion is probably more of a force than either of the above, yet its nonsense to me and literally sent from God for others.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I see you're banging on about these murdering Swedes again.

The difference is, the Swedes acknowledged their mistake and said sorry. NS continues to defend the guidance given at the time.

Its a shame they made a similar mistake actually. Take away their care home deaths and we'd be looking at their approach as the gold standard.

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Are you not thinking of this The Two Ronnies Show - The 'I Know My Place' sketch - This memorable sketch on the subject of class had the 6ft 5in John Cleese looking down on the 5ft 8in Ronnie Barker, who looked up to Cleese but down on 5ft 1in Ronnie Corbett. S) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrwl

According to wikipedia Ronnie Corbett was 5'1"

I used to be 3" taller than him but I'm shrinking due to auld age.

But I'm still shorter than Ronnie Barker (5'8" wikipedia)

So I'm definitely grade D and then grade E

18 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Back in the day I was a fireman on steam & diesel trains until Dr Beeching made me redundant in 1969.

I signed on at the bru and the guy asks me what job I had done previously.

I said a fireman on the railway.

He laughed and said there's no many jobs like that.

I had to agree with him.

Later I went back to the railways as a shunter/guard/conductor for a total of 30 years

Based on that I must be a D and now for the last 17 years an E

I used to love the steam trains, although I'm sure your job was brutal work. Similar to stokers on a ship. I used to stand on the bridge over the railway line in Brechin when the trains passed underneath it, much to my mother's annoyance.

I was a C1, going by that table.

ETA: I was probably a B, much like my Higher results.

Edited by Jacksgranda

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
Imagine what would have happened without Nicola being here to save us emoji1317.pngemoji1317.pngemoji1317.png
20200902_124623.thumb.jpg.4246ea9ea5de7066aed90ffe58dd5dd4.jpg

Can you post that exact same graph for the 45-90 age group, might give a more accurate gauge.

I can't as it's from The Times.

Good to know you are happy to dismiss those additional young deaths as perfectly acceptable, so long as when old people die it isn't from Covid-19, though.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Not to mention that, despite excess deaths being largely comparable on a par with those in England, the übernats are falling over themselves to lavish praise on how wonderfully safe the care home Butcher of Bute House has kept us all, whilst simultaneously hammering BJ for his handling of it.

Because everything in this day and age is political. A pandemic should be bringing people together, but drag politics into it and it just divides everyone. The SNP have made a balls up of the pandemic, some people with their SNP blinkers on will just refuse to acknowledge it, and point to WM's handling of it. There is a great video on youtube with Neil Oliver on talk radio but have no clue how to post it. It seems there's no middle ground anymore and everyone is either a liberal 'snowflake' or a right wing 'nazi'. 

12 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

According to wikipedia Ronnie Corbett was 5'1"

I used to be 3" taller than him but I'm shrinking due to auld age.

But I'm still shorter than Ronnie Barker (5'8" wikipedia)

So I'm definitely grade D and then grade E

Well if it's going by height, I'd be an A!

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I can't as it's from The Times.

Good to know you are happy to dismiss those additional young deaths as perfectly acceptable, so long as when old people die it isn't from Covid-19, though.

Hes not dismissing them. He wants to see the full data set for comparison rather than just a select data set to fit an agenda.

As usual.