Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Such is the profound Sociological nature of that particular programme it is widely used in Academia.

If a lecturer recommended I watch The Wire instead of reading Marx or Bourdieu on class then I'd ask for my money back and then burn the institution down. 

You have had a shocker these last few pages.

8 minutes ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

'Covid secure' wins the shite phrases award for me, its so fucking disingenuous.

It’s up there but these are worse imo -

stay safe, save life’s

protect the NHS

New normal

second wave

we’re all in this together 

socially distanced 

test and protect/track and trace 

27 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s up there but these are worse imo -

stay safe, save life’s

protect the NHS

New normal

second wave

we’re all in this together 

socially distanced 

test and protect/track and trace 

“squashing the sombrero”  also being particularly noisome. 

46 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes. There is absolutely no evidence to support that our lockdown did anything that could not have been achieved by just introducing mitigating steps instead.

It was an absolute disaster, which will cause many times more deaths than the virus ever would have.

They are learning - keeping hospitality etc in Glasgow open is a sign of that - but the idea that the lockdown saved any lives needs put in the bin.

On 15/03/2020 at 13:33, Todd_is_God said:

I travel all over the country on a daily basis. The rest of our team do the same.

It's absolutely not business critical to do so (working from home is not really possible for more than a day or two, but travel in general could be vastly reduced), yet the official line as of Friday evening is to continue as normal.

Seems absolutely mental to me given everything else that is going on. I hope common sense is arrived at come Monday.

On 16/03/2020 at 18:44, Todd_is_God said:

Avoiding enforcing a shut down I can only assume is to protect against loss of income lawsuits

On 19/03/2020 at 20:40, Todd_is_God said:

In the last week my dad has been to a gig and out in town for dinner twice.

He isn't getting the idea behind not doing these things because he is "still having to go to work" and "feels fine"

I've pointed out the fallacy of this, but there's little chance of getting through.

On 24/03/2020 at 20:01, Todd_is_God said:

They have said places where large groups of the public may gather must close, but have stopped short of saying all non-essential businesses must close.

That is the problem.

On 23/03/2020 at 20:55, Todd_is_God said:

I don't agree. Spot fine people who are caught flouting the rules. 

On 21/03/2020 at 18:33, Todd_is_God said:

People aren't getting it still.

GBX is on tonight so will be perfect for spotting the balloons still having large gatherings.

Some donkey just off getting a shoutout before going to some (presumably) scheme goblin's 35th party

On 25/03/2020 at 19:58, Todd_is_God said:

Also mentioned on the news earlier the peak is expected sometime next month. If lockdown measures are adhered to then this seems reasonably realistic.

It's also a huge diversion away from "late June" that was being banded about as recently as the start of next week. Such guesses are unhelpful as if people think they will be stuck at home for 3 months they are less inclined to do so.

Lockdown will cause more deaths than a virus.
Interesting extrapolation.

I wouldn’t go that far, although obviously the strict stay at home and shut everything down would eventually have people more dieing prematurely in the short & longer term IF medical services were kept at emergencies only for too long
I would on the other hand say that a lockdown could cause more problems than it solves if its left in place and un modified for too long

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure what your point is here.

That my opinion changed as more information became available?

Isn't that what any normal person does?

Just that the people in charge did pretty much what you wanted them to do, and you're now calling them idiots for doing so.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just that the people in charge did pretty much what you wanted them to do, and you're now calling them idiots for doing so.

Yes. They put in place a three week lockdown.

Given the information available at the time I was as on edge as anyone else, especially with my condition.

But as the weeks and months ticked by it became more and more obvious it was a mistake.

They could have changed tactic after 3-6 weeks and got away with it. Instead they put their fingers in their ears, dug in, shattered the economy, and created a time bomb of health problems that will eclipse the deaths from covid within a year or two.

And we are still restricted nearly 6 months later.

Great work.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Not to mention that, despite excess deaths being largely comparable on a par with those in England, the übernats are falling over themselves to lavish praise on how wonderfully safe the care home Butcher of Bute House has kept us all, whilst simultaneously hammering BJ for his handling of it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I've done my back in and the paracetamol and ibuprofen alone wasn't helping so I started self-medicating on the vodka (Aldi's French Premium) a couple of hours ago and I have to say it has made me feel better but also enjoy this thread even more than before. Would recommend.

As Jim Corr is a prominent Covid conspiracy theorist, what would you say is the best Corrs song?

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I've done my back in and the paracetamol and ibuprofen alone wasn't helping so I started self-medicating on the vodka (Aldi's French Premium) a couple of hours ago and I have to say it has made me feel better but also enjoy this thread even more than before. Would recommend.

As Jim Corr is a prominent Covid conspiracy theorist, what would you say is the best Corrs song?

Try Paramol?

ETA Runaway is good

Edited by Todd_is_God