Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Alright, come on.

How are these views nonsense? That reply was in relation to the poser that class isn't what you feel.

The Wire is used in Academia, by the way, as a Sociological work. That scene with Colvin sums up perfectly the way people feel about their class.

People like Weber, Becker and Codore have spoken about a classless society.

Weber did not believe in a classless society. He just defined it a little differently.

I wrote some tremendously interesting essays on this back in around 2004. Yours for a fiver.

No-one in Scotland wants to admit they are middle class, least of all middle class people.  The horror of it all.  that's why people tie themselves into controrted knots about it.

We are a strange country in many ways.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

As the seething Inverclyde revolutionary popular front states above, it's a combination of wealth and employment status that defines your social class.  Like any definition there are fuzzy edges but the general standard is the ABC1 used by most market research companies.  

Grade Social class Chief income earner's occupation Frequency in 2008[3] Frequency in 2016[4]
A upper middle class Higher managerial, administrative or professional 4% 4%
B middle middle class Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional 23% 23%
C1 lower middle class Supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional 29% 28%
C2 skilled working class Skilled manual workers 21% 20%
D working class Semi-skilled and unskilled manual workers 15% 15%
E non working State pensioners, casual and lowest grade workers, unemployed with state benefits only 8% 10%

I'm an E!

Weber did not believe in a classless society. He just defined it a little differently.
I wrote some tremendously interesting essays on this back in around 2004. Yours for a fiver.

Much of Weber's work was a little contradictory anyway but he was more interested in things like bureaucracy rather than class itself.

1 minute ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Much of Weber's work was a little contradictory anyway but he was more interested in things like bureaucracy rather than class itself.

Be that as it may. He didn't believe in a classless society.

15 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Alright, come on.

How are these views nonsense? That reply was in relation to the poser that class isn't what you feel.

The Wire is used in Academia, by the way, as a Sociological work. That scene with Colvin sums up perfectly the way people feel about their class.

People like Weber, Becker and Codore have spoken about a classless society.

How people feel about their class, and class being how you feel, are obviously different things to argue.

It may be used as an example in academia, but good luck trying to get credit for citing it as a source anywhere that cares about it's reputation. If I ever go to do my PhD in history I'll make sure to cite Sharpe for an understanding of the current of the peninsular war and busty dames.

As has been pointed out, Weber didn't believe in a classless society 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't the decision to add/remove countries from the list based on a calculation? Has the calculation changed since airbridges were introduced? I really don't know.

There is some kind of 'calculation' that takes into account the number of cases per 100.000 of population, but does not take into account regional variations in large countries like France. The 'calculation' also completely ignores the (very small) number of people dying or being admitted into IC in the countries concerned.

What the 'calculation' is intended to do is to give some kind of justification to political decisions, which are themselves knee jerk reactions to the criticism that the UK government (and to a lesser extent the Scottish government) received in March when they were accused of being lax in the way they initially handled the pandemic.

Despite the fact NRS data shows that Covid has been directly or indirectly to blame for just 0.8 deaths per day over the last seven weeks, people are still shiting it about a handful of mild / asymptomatic cases and actively encouraging restrictions to be placed on what we can and cannot do. Madness.

Of the approximately 7,350 deaths over that period, a whopping 41 (0.55%) were covid related.

Bloody house parties indeed 😭😭😭

20200902_121901.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

He did think though that class, in how we define it today (and probably then too, bearing in mind when he was alive) wasn't a necessity.

Class was one of his areas for defining a person's power and position in society. It is in no way a sustainable argument to say that Weber believed in a classless society.

Edited by JTS98

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There is some kind of 'calculation' that takes into account the number of cases per 100.000 of population, but does not take into account regional variations in large countries like France. The 'calculation' also completely ignores the (very small) number of people dying or being admitted into IC in the countries concerned.

What the 'calculation' is intended to do is to give some kind of justification to political decisions, which are themselves knee jerk reactions to the criticism that the UK government (and to a lesser extent the Scottish government) received in March when they were accused of being lax in the way they initially handled the pandemic.

Again, I have no dog in this fight but you can see some logic in blocking a whole country as how would the Gov know which region someone had visited?  As for which number to use for the calculation - there are merits/demerits of each so they have to pick one.

I'll leave the political aspect aside 'cos I'm not interested but I see nothing wrong with the concept on quarantining people who have visited places with high levels of infection. 

How people feel about their class, and class being how you feel, are obviously different things to argue.
It may be used as an example in academia, but good luck trying to get credit for citing it as a source anywhere that cares about it's reputation. If I ever go to do my PhD in history I'll make sure to cite Sharpe for an understanding of the current of the peninsular war and busty dames.
As has been pointed out, Weber didn't argue for a classless society 
It's not quite the same thing. I understand that not everyone will agree but the way that class is defined structurally is fucking stupid.

Using that scene from The Wire - yes it was slightly tongue in cheek, but nevertheless it's use in Sociological teaching is widespread. I believe it has been accredited by some quango or another.

If capital equals class then in theory it shouldn't matter how one gathers that capital. Where this falls down though is Micheal Carroll has probably had more dosh running through his hands than any of us, yet is/was he ever likely to be regarded as middle class? Despite the wealth and the big hoose etc it would never be.

On the opposite side, let's say someone like Boris or Reece-Mogg suddenly became poor. A pauper, if you will. Would they be anything other than what they already are just without the cash to back it up?

I don't dispute that for some people, class can be fluid, and that they may feel they have climbed the class ladder by earning a good crust, living in a nice house and driving a flash car. That's fine, I'm happy with that and that in itself is none of my business.

What I do have an issue with, is the idea that everybody who becomes well off being regarded as middle class and vice versa.