Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I am not normally one to be critical of the Scottish Government but this is nonsense.

There were 14.0 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in Greece in the seven days to August 31, down from 14.9 a week earlier.

It certainly is not science that backs that decision up.

Nope, it isn't. These are political decisions being made by both the Scottish and UK governments to enable themselves to look strong.

They're doing it because a terrified populace still believes that locking up our borders is the way to keep this disease out. If public opinion were to swing the other way, watch both Johnson and Sturgeon jump around announcing that all quarantine restrictions were lifted. 

I am not normally one to be critical of the Scottish Government but this is nonsense.

There were 14.0 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people in Greece in the seven days to August 31, down from 14.9 a week earlier.

It certainly is not science that backs that decision up.

Both me and my dad were convinced that when air bridges were introduced back in June they’d be closed up as soon as possible by the UK and Scottish governments.

So far I feel like I’ve been proven right, especially with rumours Portugal is away to be added.

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Both me and my dad were convinced that when air bridges were introduced back in June they’d be closed up as soon as possible by the UK and Scottish governments.

So far I feel like I’ve been proven right, especially with rumours Portugal is away to be added.

Maybe they're just realising, like much of the rest of the world, that encouraging travel at the moment is lunacy.

With just 24 cases in South Ayrshire in the last 7 days I think it's highly unlikely that this one person (assuming they exist) is responsible for Greece being on the quarrantine list.
A person "coming back from holiday and doing x" is 2020's version of people painting fences to steal dogs.
This particular example is a fantastic use of double rage, getting a wee dig in at those "selfish" enough to go on holiday, whilst simultaneously having a go at NS's latest bee in her bonnet which was house parties.
Absolutely guaranteed to draw multiple angry faces and tear stained rants on fb, despite almost certain to be a work of fiction.
The cases are all "linked" according to the local health board. It seems genuine enough it's the local rage and seethe that is amusing. Naming and shaming, nutters demanding to know which counters in Sainsbury's they had been working on, pubs and hairdressers being called out as "complicit" utterly bizarre stuff.

The MPs have had their summer jolly and Brexit is on the horizon, get those drawbridges pulled up sharpish !!!

I must admit, seeing the chief of BA "warning" the govt over imposing quarantine for Portugal made me want to see it happen immediately

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'll summarise the data for you as you're clearly out of your comfort zone. If the great British Public weren't fed statistics skewed to fit Daily Express headlines they might get better at gauging risk and when to worry or not.

It's also the time of year when family holidays get a bit cheaper with still a decent chance of good weather.

Well no you summarised absolutely nothing in that post there but rather just threw another set of shite hot takes at the wall. What evidence do you have that families are pulling their kids from school en masse to go on a cheap foreign holiday? 

Guest Bob Mahelp
49 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Maybe they're just realising, like much of the rest of the world, that encouraging travel at the moment is lunacy.

I don't think anyone is 'encouraging' travel. 

Travel can still take place safely if the proper testing is put in place...other countries are working hard on this to make sure that borders remain open and that the millions of jobs that depend on travel are protected as much as possible. 

Is there real scientific evidence to back up your claims of 'lunacy', or is that something you thought up yourself as the news breathlessly announces the number of new cases on a daily basis ?

Well no you summarised absolutely nothing in that post there but rather just threw another set of shite hot takes at the wall. What evidence do you have that families are pulling their kids from school en masse to go on a cheap foreign holiday? 

You're quick enough to remind us of all these "middle class" families and their February skiing trips so stands to reason they might prefer not to pay school holiday prices for their summer jollies.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Is there real scientific evidence to back up your claims of 'lunacy', or is that something you thought up yourself as the news breathlessly announces the number of new cases on a daily basis ?

A combination of observing different policies and outcomes around the world, reading about how the virus spreads, and applying common sense to the available information.

People going on foreign holidays just now are the hard of thinking. That would be ok if it weren't for the fact that their actions have consequences for the community at large, rather than only the hard of thinking themselves.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but isn't the decision to add/remove countries from the list based on a calculation? Has the calculation changed since airbridges were introduced? I really don't know.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You're quick enough to remind us of all these "middle class" families and their February skiing trips so stands to reason they might prefer not to pay school holiday prices for their summer jollies.

Except that there are school holidays in February which is why teachers are chief among them. The idea that a significant number of families decided that the last week in August is a cracking time to have their wean feign a cough, get a negative test and then slink out of the country to *where exactly?* right now is just more laughable nonsense to try and deflect from the fact that both Covid and Covid symptoms have increased at a massive rate since the schools opened again. Did anyone seriously expect any other outcome here?

The truth is far simpler though. VT is just being an arse.

The vast majority of teachers I've known don't go on skiing trips and certainly it's nonsense to think they are middle class. Ha ha fucking ha.

It's true that teachers earn a pretty decent living but it's hardly Prada handbags and Masaratis. Most 'genuine' middle class people would turn their nose up at the wages, for starters.

1 minute ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The truth is far simpler though. VT is just being an arse.

The vast majority of teachers I've known don't go on skiing trips and certainly it's nonsense to think they are middle class. Ha ha fucking ha.

It's true that teachers earn a pretty decent living but it's hardly Prada handbags and Masaratis. Most 'genuine' middle class people would turn their nose up at the wages, for starters.

Nothing about the above nonsense even remotely resembles 'the truth': least of all the claim that teachers aren't middle class. It is a salaried, white collar profession accessible upon obtaining a graduate degree. The probation year wage paid to teachers is already around £3000 higher than the median income of all employees in Scotland. It then rises to the best part of £40k - 50% higher than the median wage - by the end of five full years' employment.

In no credible definition of the term are teachers anything other than middle class and the fact that so many of them in Scotland display full cognitive dissonance about that fact and pretend that they're working class martyrs instead is just laughable. 

Nothing about the above nonsense even remotely resembles 'the truth': least of all the claim that teachers aren't middle class. It is a salaried, white collar profession accessible upon obtaining a graduate degree. The probation year wage paid to teachers is already around £3000 higher than the median income of all employees in Scotland. It then rises to the best part of £40k - 50% higher than the median wage - by the end of five full years' employment.
In no credible definition of the term are teachers anything other than middle class and the fact that so many of them in Scotland display full cognitive dissonance about that fact and pretend that they're working class martyrs instead is just laughable. 
There's nothing nonsense there.

Very many teachers today are from working class backgrounds. Many were brought up in the schemes. The fact that they've done alright for themselves and found a career that pays pretty well doesn't make them middle class, no matter how much you protest.

Obviously there will be those who are, Christ there is middle class people working in supermarkets or care homes - does this make those people working class?

Simply put, an individual's earning power alone does not define their class.