Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 hours ago, Gaz said:

Micro Chips are rank, Fries 2 Go are the way to go. The crispiest microwavable chip I've ever had

Fries to go have a tendency to burn! Findus microwave fries are the best imo

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Ok, I expect a vaccine to be available within 6 months. In the meantime faster and more accurate testing will be available to free us up a bit more, and possibly more effective treatments for those with a serious dose, which is becoming increasingly rare as we adopt the the Far Eastern habit of wearing face masks occasionally, something they've handled for decades without inducing any noticeable Helen Lovejoy moments. 

The Far East did indeed wear masks for years before we were made to. Covid still ran riot in certain places over there though 😏

53 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The Far East did indeed wear masks for years before we were made to. Covid still ran riot in certain places over there though 😏

They don't go on about it though. It's about having consideration for your fellow humans without being a whiney wee girl. 

58 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think most folk in Asian cities have been wearing  masks for years due to pollution and smog rather than in anticipation of pandemics

In a fitting tribute to the absurdity of Scot Gov’s ban on background music in bars and restaurants, at my pub we’ve been surreptitiously playing John Cage’s 4’33’’ on a loop for the last couple of weeks.

Just doing our bit to help out the beleaguered PPL / PRS in these unprecedented times...

11 hours ago, Snafu said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/grieving-family-launch-legal-action-22602782

Grieving family sue Scottish Government over hospital bed clearance virus policy

The family of a pensioner who died of Covid-19 after being moved from hospital to a care home are to sue Scottish Government ministers over their bed-clearance policy.

The case involving Rodger Laing, 80, is believed to be the first legal action of its kind.

Lawyers acting for his family say Health Secretary Jeane Freeman and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon could be called to explain why he was put at risk.

Rodger’s family had taken out a guardianship order but say this was ignored when health chiefs decided to move him.

They believe Holyrood ministers, and not doctors, were responsible for driving the bed-clearance policy which led to his discharge.

The family’s lawyer, Patrick McGuire, a senior partner at Thompsons Solicitors, said: “As emergency measures were brought in during the pandemic, the Scottish Government and its ministers took control from health authorities and they will become respondents in any legal action which takes place.

“Because of that, both the First Minister, the Health Secretary and their advisers will need to answer questions and even give evidence as required about the decisions they took and the orders they gave during that time. We will be looking at whether the family’s power of attorney was breached, along with all other concerning aspects of this tragic case.”

Ex-gamekeeper and car salesman Rodger died 22 days after being moved from a dementia ward at Midlothian Community Hospital in Bonnyrigg to Drummond Grange care home in Lasswade.

His son Rodney, 49, said: “We went through the legal process of taking out a power of attorney in 2017 to ensure dad’s health and welfare were legally protected.

“It gave us the legal right to decide what treatment he got and where he was cared for But we believe that was completely ­overruled and dad was moved, against our wishes, into a care home where, ­unbeknown to us, people had already died from Covid-19.

“We had been told we needed to consider dad being moved at the end of last year. But by February, a suitable place still hadn’t been found.

“With lockdown under way, we believed things had been put on the back burner but we got a call at the beginning of May saying they wanted to move him in to Drummond Grange.”

Rodger’s daughter Gail Young, 53, said: “The conversations got heated. We didn’t want dad moved because it wasn’t safe.

“But I was told dad was being moved and it was out of her hands. I hung up the phone in tears of anger and frustration.”

Rodger, who gave a negative Covid-19 test before leaving hospital, died on May 27 – two days after testing positive.

The family’s local MSP, Miles Briggs, said: “Rodger’s family are one of a number who are growing increasingly angry at the way their elderly loved ones have been treated and the lack of answers from the Scottish Government.”

Key there is how and why the power of attorney was over ruled. If a P.O.A can be swept aside this easily then that is a 'can of worms' opened.

If he only tested positive after entering the care home doesn't that suggest he contracted the virus in the care home?

I can't imagine how worrying a time it would have been but hanging up the call which is deciding where your dad is cared for doesn't seem to be the wisest thing in the world to do.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Maybe the kunt that ate a bat should have had consideration for fellow humans 🙄

There's loads of ways for this virus to have transfered from animal to human, and as far as I can tell, none of them are that someone ate a bat.

8 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

In a fitting tribute to the absurdity of Scot Gov’s ban on background music in bars and restaurants, at my pub we’ve been surreptitiously playing John Cage’s 4’33’’ on a loop for the last couple of weeks.

🤣

As an aside, a guy i used to work with has been playing gigs in bars down south the last two weekends. Live music. Atmosphere.

We are sitting in silence being rewarded for our longer lockdown, though 🙃

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

True, but they were wearing masks and covid was still running wild. 

I think Asian countries especially SE Asian countries like Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam have kept it in check well. They are more compliant and don't seem to have this anti mask entitlement we see in the west.

4 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

I think Asian countries especially SE Asian countries like Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam have kept it in check well. They are more compliant and don't seem to have this anti mask entitlement we see in the west.

I don’t think it’s an anti mask entitlement tbh. It’s something alien for us so I can see why people don’t like them. Personally I find them annoying when you’re trying to speak to a shop worker and they have perspex and they don’t hear what you’re saying. I hope they’re not here beyond 2020

6 hours ago, virginton said:

What are the specific 'long term impacts' that you worry about? Excluding the always present - but extremely rare - chance of an allergic response or developing Guillain-Barre syndrome from an active vaccination, the only possibly 'negative' long term impact here is of not retaining immunity and being infected anyway. As of now though there is no inherent immunity unless you've already contracted the virus. 

I don't know and to be honest that's the point. Obviously its unlikely to be anything like Thalidomide, but when I am in the low risk group for Covid, is it worth risking taking a vaccine which has not been proven to be safe long term?

To clarify, I'm not some mad anti-vaxer, but I would worry about the longer term impacts of a drug which has been rushed to market.

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I don’t think it’s an anti mask entitlement tbh. It’s something alien for us so I can see why people don’t like them. Personally I find them annoying when you’re trying to speak to a shop worker and they have perspex and they don’t hear what you’re saying. I hope they’re not here beyond 2020

Do you ever take a day off?

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons, wear them in supermarkets on trains and buses etc..then it gives you a wee bit of normality to sit in a pub or resteraunt.

Serious question here...does anyone know what the government (UK and Scottish) exit strategy is ?
Are we waiting until there are actually NO coronavirus cases ? Are we meant to self-isolate, distance, wear masks, not travel, not go to sport,work from home and change everything about our lives for say...the next 30 years...until a vaccine is found ?
Or is the strategy to say, this virus is something we're just going to have to live with for the foreseeable future ? We'll try and control it, but we can't eliminate it and we have to get life back to 'normal' to try and avoid an economic disaster such as the world has never seen before ?
Or is the plan to just continue struggling along because governments are scared to make decisions that may well have political ramifications ?

I assume it's hoped that a reliable vaccine will reduce the need for measures - so that it becomes like the flu - those at most risk having an annual vaccination.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

🤣

As an aside, a guy i used to work with has been playing gigs in bars down south the last two weekends. Live music. Atmosphere.

We are sitting in silence being rewarded for our longer lockdown, though 🙃

I remember the halcyon days of live music - like a dim and distant memory from another era, before the Ministry of Nae Fun took over.