Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Tbh I think a massive scoreboard of what's killing everyone being broadcast all the time would probably be quite a good idea. Expand it out from just covid.
"Unbelievable Jeff, what a week it's been for Sepsis with that 250 death toll seeing them leap up the table into 7th and within touching distance of a European spot"

37 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The majority of docs and anp's I know just want to get back to seeing patients like we used too.

We've went from say 30 face to face appointments to zero,  with shitty telephone consultations.  Telephone consults are shit, nothing beats actually seeing the patient, seeing how they move off the chair in the waiting room, actually being able to see what is wrong with them.

We are officially still at the telephone consult stage but we are bringing more in all the time now.  I think i saw ten face to face on Friday but we just want to see everyone face to face so we can do our bloody jobs properly.

They need to get the hospitals back to some sort of normality too.  The urgent referrals are miles behind schedule, I know a few consultants who just cannot believe that their departments have basically been mothballed whilst we fight this virus (World terminology)

An example, if you need to go into the hospital for a procedure that is planned you need  a covid test and to isolate for two weeks beforehand,  however if you're like the five patients I admitted last week after seeing them it consists of me phoning the medics and getting them in, erm no test or isolation.

There are less surgical procedures being done as we have to make sure everything is super clean, hang on its a fucking operating theatre everything is aseptic and clean anyway so what is the difference.

So in essence there are a few lazy b*****ds who are delighted they don't have to see people but the vast majority are frustrated beyond belief and sickened that we are losing people because the system is fucked and we can't do our jobs properly.

I'm genuinely fucking furious about it, I've seen a lot of patients who have presented late because they didn't want to bother us due to covid, were scared to  come out the house so chuck in the slower time to be scene in secondary care its just too late.  We've effectively managed to cripple the health service, our national asset and one of the few things we have to be proud of in this country.

Anyway I've went off on a tangent but im genuinely frustrated that we are letting patients down and it sickens me.

I'm off next week but stupidly going in to help for a couple of days as we are swamped and short staffed, funnily enough the schools going back has added to the load.  Who'd have thought that would happen.

Anyway I'm going to the pub today with my mates.  Ah normality.

I can understand the decisions made in the panicky early days of the pandemic, but after they had proof that it was controllable, which was after only a few weeks, I don't understand why they didn't make adjustments to keep as much of the health service working as near normal as possible. It seems like a huge oil tanker that needs to circumnavigate the globe a few times to make a course correction.

Fantastic to see. That’s the way crowds at stadiums should be whilst we’re in the mist of “covid panic”. Murrayfield was a pointless exercise and the crowd spacing that was there just wouldn’t be financially viable for 90% of Scottish clubs
Also I see the crowd at Brighton aren’t wearing masks yet the Murrayfield 600 with about 20 feet of freedom around them had to wear one 
The bottom picture appears to show every seated fan having every single seat around them empty that's 1 seat in 9 or 900 - 1100 at Saints, Perth, Livvi, just 2000 at Hibs or Killie and about 600 at Accies. That too would be as pointless as the Murrayfield test.

48 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The majority of docs and anp's I know just want to get back to seeing patients like we used too.

We've went from say 30 face to face appointments to zero,  with shitty telephone consultations.  Telephone consults are shit, nothing beats actually seeing the patient, seeing how they move off the chair in the waiting room, actually being able to see what is wrong with them.

We are officially still at the telephone consult stage but we are bringing more in all the time now.  I think i saw ten face to face on Friday but we just want to see everyone face to face so we can do our bloody jobs properly.

They need to get the hospitals back to some sort of normality too.  The urgent referrals are miles behind schedule, I know a few consultants who just cannot believe that their departments have basically been mothballed whilst we fight this virus (World terminology)

An example, if you need to go into the hospital for a procedure that is planned you need  a covid test and to isolate for two weeks beforehand,  however if you're like the five patients I admitted last week after seeing them it consists of me phoning the medics and getting them in, erm no test or isolation.

There are less surgical procedures being done as we have to make sure everything is super clean, hang on its a fucking operating theatre everything is aseptic and clean anyway so what is the difference.

So in essence there are a few lazy b*****ds who are delighted they don't have to see people but the vast majority are frustrated beyond belief and sickened that we are losing people because the system is fucked and we can't do our jobs properly.

I'm genuinely fucking furious about it, I've seen a lot of patients who have presented late because they didn't want to bother us due to covid, were scared to  come out the house so chuck in the slower time to be scene in secondary care its just too late.  We've effectively managed to cripple the health service, our national asset and one of the few things we have to be proud of in this country.

Anyway I've went off on a tangent but im genuinely frustrated that we are letting patients down and it sickens me.

I'm off next week but stupidly going in to help for a couple of days as we are swamped and short staffed, funnily enough the schools going back has added to the load.  Who'd have thought that would happen.

Anyway I'm going to the pub today with my mates.  Ah normality.

But apart from that...

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Fantastic to see. That’s the way crowds at stadiums should be whilst we’re in the mist of “covid panic”. Murrayfield was a pointless exercise and the crowd spacing that was there just wouldn’t be financially viable for 90% of Scottish clubs
Also I see the crowd at Brighton aren’t wearing masks yet the Murrayfield 600 with about 20 feet of freedom around them had to wear one 

The bottom picture appears to show every seated fan having every single seat around them empty that's 1 seat in 9 or 900 - 1100 at Saints, Perth, Livvi, just 2000 at Hibs or Killie and about 600 at Accies. That too would be as pointless as the Murrayfield test.

Except of those 9, six are also around someone else. I make it one in four. 

Any advance on 1/4?

Edited by coprolite
I don't know what my first sentence means, but it's one seat in four occupied

Trump is going to announce they have the "cure" in the run up to the US election, nothing surer.

He mentioned this during the RNC - “We will produce a vaccine before the end of the year.....maybe even sooner”

I’m not sure if this was before or after he claimed he had supported and helped the African American population more than any other president since Lincoln.

What a guy.

16 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

He mentioned this during the RNC - “We will produce a vaccine before the end of the year.....maybe even sooner”

I’m not sure if this was before or after he claimed he had supported and helped the African American population more than any other president since Lincoln.

What a guy.

I hope that's not the last similarity to Lincoln 

Except of those 9, six are also around someone else. I make it one in four. 
Any advance on 1/4?
Yeah you are right, needed to enlarge it and put my specs on it every second row empty and 1 in 2 of the occupied row so a quarter which is about what was talked about as a potential capacity.

The Murrayfield test event isn't quite as simple as "700 in a 67k stadium".

Edinburgh's usual crowd (for non derbies) is about 7K and generally housed in the lower tier of the East stand anyway, with the exception of a small standing section that is usually on the track on the West stand side. In effect, they were testing with 10% of their usual crowd. This may not change anyone's opinion of whether or not the test in that format was worthwhile, but it's certainly more accurate than "they had 700 spread around a 67k stadium lol".

Derbies against Glasgow can get anything between 20 and 30k, with a large travelling support that probably wouldn't be far off 50%, so it's obviously not the same as it would have been for that specific fixture, but those two games are generally massive outliers in the Edinburgh attendance figures.

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The stupidity of selfish denialists who forget that we don't have natural immunity to this COVID-19 where as we have thousands of years building up resistance to flu and colds. And likewise flu and colds you will only get natural immunity from the virus if you have had the virus and still no one is clear on how long this lasts. Let's hope that there is a vaccine that works.

The flu and cold viruses have been around as long as they have had hosts to live in, where as COVID-19 is an entirely man's stupidity made virus made out of the way we live on this planet and how we treat animals and to our knowledge has only been around for less than a year, hence the drastic measures taken to prevent the virus killing millions world wide.

Denialists would have had us carry on as if nothing was wrong and if they had their way practically everyone on this planet with a dodgy immune system would be gone including many of them and those who were healthy but badly affected would also be on the way out next time another virus does its rounds flu or another coronavirus and it will keep happening until there is a much reduced immune world wide population. History hands out lessons some pay no mind to.

I suppose if you were a true neo-Nazi you'd be aiming at some kind of human survival of the fittest as was the theory with the original lot.

Unfortunately for them Covid would probably wipe out overweight perma raging thick gammon Nazis as well. Just a shame the virus isn't that selective.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
19 hours ago, MixuFruit said:
Tbh I think a massive scoreboard of what's killing everyone being broadcast all the time would probably be quite a good idea. Expand it out from just covid.

"Unbelievable Jeff, what a week it's been for Sepsis with that 250 death toll seeing them leap up the table into 7th and within touching distance of a European spot"

Smallpox- the Third Lanark of the deadly disease League.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It wasn't meant to be a financial viable model, it was demonstration test using the minimum number of people they needed to work out the flows of people and identifying what procedures should be used to preserve social distancing a much as possible with far greater numbers. You numpty.

Of course I know Fri wasn’t an excercise in something being financially viable. I’m sure Brighton yesterday wasn’t either, but one crowd was realistic and the other one wasn’t. 

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
13 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

2000 at Rugby Park would let in over half our season ticket holders - I doubt the club would consider that pointless.

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

The issue is that essentially every airway intervention is aerosol generating, so every general anaesthetic takes more time. You can avoid a delay post intubation by having the rest of the team in full AGP PPE, but after extubation there's still the delay to allow for the minimum theatre air changes before cleaning can commence between patients.

What we really need to do is start proper risk assessments and group patients into low, medium and high risk categories, so we can reduce the downtime. This is probably going to start happening and there is guidance about it coming out.

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Of course I know Fri wasn’t an excercise in something being financially viable. I’m sure Brighton yesterday wasn’t either, but one crowd was realistic and the other one wasn’t. 

Friday's crowd was around 9.6% of Edinburgh's normal home attendance. Brighton yesterday was about 8.5%.

Which crowd was the realistic one?

I'd imagine that the test was mostly about whether the spectators could follow the signage and understand the procedures for using the toilets etc. It wasn't to see what happens if you stick a hundred people in the gents at the same time.

20 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

The issue is that essentially every airway intervention is aerosol generating, so every general anaesthetic takes more time. You can avoid a delay post intubation by having the rest of the team in full AGP PPE, but after extubation there's still the delay to allow for the minimum theatre air changes before cleaning can commence between patients.

What we really need to do is start proper risk assessments and group patients into low, medium and high risk categories, so we can reduce the downtime. This is probably going to start happening and there is guidance about it coming out.

Yes totally agree, sooner the better.

27 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You mentioned financial viability twice I think.