Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Do c***s like Littlejohn not actually realise that working from home isn’t a choice that people make? The majority are doing it because their employers are telling them to, largely because social distancing means we cannot be in the physical building.

See also, frothing at the mouth articles about folk 'choosing' to stay on furlough.

26 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

He admits in the article that's he's worked from home for 30 years. So basically do as I say not as I do type shite.

My mother's long lost younger brother...

29 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

They are all saying go back to the office because they all have investments in corporate property. Don't let them make you believe anything else.

Absolutely this.

Also, a great part of the UK's 'wealth' is in oil money, and the taxes that this collect.

There is absolutely no way the Government don't want 20m+ people commuting to and from work in private cars for an hour each day.

Edited by Gaz

I am not able to work from home as in the care sector but I always wondered if the reduced commuting costs would compensate for any increase in energy bills from having to work at home?

I mean, you might incur an extra £20-£30 a month in energy bills and that would only partially offset £150-£200 saved on commuting.

My employers are paying half my energy bill, not sure if this is the norm though. I work for an American firm and there seems to be laws in certain states dictating this, so they’ve just rolled it out company wide

Polling showing, to the surprise of absolutely nobody, that old c***s want everyone back in the office and the rest of the population are reluctant.

I only had an assigned desk twice a week before the pandemic. I could hot desk or WFH for the rest. I suspect if we go back with social distancing requirements that I’ll be lucky to be given a desk once a fortnight.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Absolutely this.

Also, a great part of the UK's 'wealth' is in oil money, and the taxes that this collect.

There is absolutely no way the Government don't want 20m+ people commuting to and from work in private cars for an hour each day.

Not really though because oil is a globally traded commodity with countless other uses. The price of a barrel taken from the North Sea is not related to how many people are using the M8 on a Monday morning in any way at all. The press want the commute back because otherwise their business model is fucked; some Tories just want office workers to bail out Pret a Manger for them, although even at that they haven't bothered pushing the message much at all. 

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I mean, you might incur an extra £20-£30 a month in energy bills and that would only partially offset £150-£200 saved on commuting.

My employers are paying half my energy bill, not sure if this is the norm though. I work for an American firm and there seems to be laws in certain states dictating this, so they’ve just rolled it out company wide

It turns out that extra energy costs from working at home are tax deductible for up to £6 per week so long as you haven't volunteered for that working practice; I've no idea how they can possibly police this utterly pointless distinction though.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not really though because oil is a globally traded commodity with countless other uses. The price of a barrel taken from the North Sea is not related to how many people are using the M8 on a Monday morning in any way at all. The press want the commute back because otherwise their business model is fucked; some Tories just want office workers to bail out Pret a Manger for them, although even at that they haven't bothered pushing the message much at all. 

It turns out that extra energy costs from working at home are tax deductible for up to £6 per week so long as you haven't volunteered for that working practice; I've no idea how they can possibly police this utterly pointless distinction though.

They won't police it but i'd expect a load of "nudge" letters to be issued to anyone that claims. That usually spooks a few of the more naive people that have tried it on into fessing up. 

It really is terrible for the country that all those people are working from home because they were ... eh … told to by the government?

like I said a while back, for some it will suit them, for some they are in the honeymoon period but the novelty will wear off before long , some already hate it and would be back at work if they could,  if it becomes a choice free for all ( ie work from home if you want or go to work if you want  , potentially 100% one or the other) then it won't be long before some people start abusing it

2 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It really is terrible for the country that all those people are working from home because they were ... eh … told to by the government?

like I said a while back, for some it will suit them, for some they are in the honeymoon period but the novelty will wear off before long , some already hate it and would be back at work if they could,  if it becomes a choice free for all ( ie work from home if you want or go to work if you want  , potentially 100% one or the other) then it won't be long before some people start abusing it

Most people who are able to will have been working from home for coming up for six months, it's hardly a honeymoon period.  

Edited by ICTChris

Companies and workers have had this forced upon them. Theres probably an uneasy treaty between the two just now. If and when it becomes more of a choice, it will return to employers assuming workers will be ripping the pish.

As it was both forced and at a time of colossal turn down in almost all industries, it's easy to describe it as a honeymoon period but as normal life ramps back up, expectations will rise. No more laughing off the guy that can never connect to the meeting, or the presence of kids, or walking the dog. It will become a whole different reality. It still might suit some, in fact it will. But those who's middle managers cant wait to be free of the leash they are held in currently will probably suffer.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Most people who are able to will have been working from home for coming up for six months, it's hardly a honeymoon period.  

That's why I said before long! you could be in a pokey flat with young kids working in a makeshift space with nae room and loads of distractions, a sore back from the chairs and headaches from the lighting, remember offices comply to HSE but your home does not, Not everyone has a spare room they can make into an office. some people believe it or not have less than ideal home lives which for one reason or they other they can't just walk away from ( family memebers who need high levels of care for example ) and their work , whilst still work, gives them just a wee bit of a reprieve from it in an acceptable way as opposed to just going down the pub

22 minutes ago, Paco said:

Polling showing, to the surprise of absolutely nobody, that old c***s want everyone back in the office and the rest of the population are reluctant.

I only had an assigned desk twice a week before the pandemic. I could hot desk or WFH for the rest. I suspect if we go back with social distancing requirements that I’ll be lucky to be given a desk once a fortnight.

They're just repeating whatever shite they read in the Daily Mail tbf... as always.

I fucking hate old people. I don't know why we care for them so much, they hold intolerant and abhorrent views and constantly vote for the worst fucking party in the country. From now on, f**k them. Next time they turn up for the flu jab just give them a lethal injection.

The worst part about homeworking is spending more on toilet roll then ever before.

I had my bowels trained for evacuation mid morning mon-fri and would take every second I possibly could.

I fucking hate old people. I don't know why we care for them so much, they hold intolerant and abhorrent views and constantly vote for the worst fucking party in the country. From now on, f**k them. Next time they turn up for the flu jab just give them a lethal injection.

Rather than being “worried” about a second wave we should be praying for one

Older people are less likely to be used to the concept of working from home and thus are more likely to think that people should be getting back to the office.  I don't think it's because older people are inherently evil.

Just now, mizfit said:

The worst part about homeworking is spending more on toilet roll then ever before.

I had my bowels trained for evacuation mid morning mon-fri and would take every second I possibly could.

My arse is going on strike if I keep using up the sandpaper toilet paper that came with the food boxes we shielded elite got given.