Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It seems that people working from home are the Tories newest punching bag.

It's actually the news barons squealing because nobody is buying their rags for the daily commute and advertising is dying on its arse as well. The i and Metro are owned by the Daily Mail which explains their similar frothing outrage about the issue.

If would go back to the office tomorrow but my work are saving a fortune having offices closed.

Most companies will end up doing same it's nothing to do with workers. I know some are using it to meet carbon reduction targets which they can use to get some form of Grant or tax offset or something which would be fine of you weren't moving the carbon use from a single office block to a 1000 homes.

Working at home was great fun during the summer but now I have to pay for my own heating and lunch time garden beers are out it's not so good.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53930145

Coronavirus: Review after row over Storm Francis school break

A school says it is reviewing its breaktime policy after pupils were told to stay outside during a storm because of physical distancing concerns.

Storm Francis battered much of Scotland on Tuesday.

Some parents of pupils at Mackie Academy in Stonehaven complained after reports that children had to huddle under a tree in the playground for shelter.

Aberdeenshire Council said the issue was being looked at.

The issue emerged after parents took to social media to voice their concerns that pupils were left in the rain and wind.

One wrote: "Children need to stay outside the whole lunch time in the rain. Then they came back wet to the school and sit in the class with wide open windows.

"They need to stay outside because of the virus and social distance, but if they are standing very close to each other under a tree to not be wet is it OK?"

'New guidance'

The local authority said: "Unfortunately, due to insufficient indoor space to maintain physical distancing, pupils at Mackie Academy were told remain outside during breaktime and lunchtime during inclement weather.

"These arrangements were in line with Scottish government advice.

"A review of arrangements is being carried out by Mackie Academy's senior leadership team. New guidance will make it clearer where pupils can gather inside during breaktimes and lunchtimes when there are bad weather events."

The school said it planned to put up temporary shelters for pupils who wished to remain outside to help keep them dry in future.

We got forced out in all weathers back when I was a lad and it never killed us

Well, apart from the lad who got struck by lightning playing in goals next to a bin but he was never going to amount to much anyway.

6 hours ago, Snafu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53930145

Coronavirus: Review after row over Storm Francis school break

A school says it is reviewing its breaktime policy after pupils were told to stay outside during a storm because of physical distancing concerns.

Storm Francis battered much of Scotland on Tuesday.

Some parents of pupils at Mackie Academy in Stonehaven complained after reports that children had to huddle under a tree in the playground for shelter.

Aberdeenshire Council said the issue was being looked at.

The issue emerged after parents took to social media to voice their concerns that pupils were left in the rain and wind.

One wrote: "Children need to stay outside the whole lunch time in the rain. Then they came back wet to the school and sit in the class with wide open windows.

"They need to stay outside because of the virus and social distance, but if they are standing very close to each other under a tree to not be wet is it OK?"

'New guidance'

The local authority said: "Unfortunately, due to insufficient indoor space to maintain physical distancing, pupils at Mackie Academy were told remain outside during breaktime and lunchtime during inclement weather.

"These arrangements were in line with Scottish government advice.

"A review of arrangements is being carried out by Mackie Academy's senior leadership team. New guidance will make it clearer where pupils can gather inside during breaktimes and lunchtimes when there are bad weather events."

The school said it planned to put up temporary shelters for pupils who wished to remain outside to help keep them dry in future.

Does my head in the way people seem deliberately incapable of using common sense in interpreting the advice. I foolishly expected more of head teachers, but I'm sure the kids loved it. 

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Does my head in the way people seem deliberately incapable of using common sense in interpreting the advice. I foolishly expected more of head teachers, but I'm sure the kids loved it. 

I'm not sure what you mean tbh. Either it's dangerous to be indoors or it isn't. Just like the virus "doesn't care what shape the ball is," it doesn't care what the weather is either.

When you give wishy washy contradictory guidance, you get wishy washy contradictory interpretations of it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure what you mean tbh. Either it's dangerous to be indoors or it isn't. Just like the virus doesn't care what shape the ball is, it doesn't care what the weather is.

You don't worry about social distancing if you can grab someone off the road before they get run over by a bus.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You don't worry about social distancing if you can grab someone off the road before they get run over by a bus.

It may not have come across as such, but I was agreeing with you.

The notion that children should remain outdoors in the pissing rain as it is better for them than the miniscule risk that if they go indoors they will catch a virus that, for 99%+ will be of little harm, is stupid.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It may not have come across as such, but I was agreeing with you.

The notion that children should remain outdoors in the pissing rain as it is better for them than the miniscule risk that if they go indoors they will catch a virus that, for 99%+ will be of little harm, is stupid.

To answer the edit you made to your post above, the advice can't cover every situation where the balance of risks have to be assessed by using common sense. It's not a matter of wishy washy advice, it's total morons thinking the only way they can cover themselves is by following a general advisory to reduce transmission to the letter in circumstances when it's clearly not the intention.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

To answer the edit you made to your post above, the advice can't cover every situation where the balance of risks have to be assessed by using common sense. It's not a matter of wishy washy advice, it's total morons thinking the only way they can cover themselves is by following to the letter when it's clearly not the intention.

Sadly, in today's society, the only way to cover yourself is to follow the letter.

Any deviation from it and you open yourself to losing your job if it goes wrong.

The same parent complaining about their kid getting wet would be first in line to complain if their kid was huddled in a corridor or classroom with someone who then tested positive.

Edited by Todd_is_God

If would go back to the office tomorrow but my work are saving a fortune having offices closed.
Most companies will end up doing same it's nothing to do with workers. I know some are using it to meet carbon reduction targets which they can use to get some form of Grant or tax offset or something which would be fine of you weren't moving the carbon use from a single office block to a 1000 homes.
Working at home was great fun during the summer but now I have to pay for my own heating and lunch time garden beers are out it's not so good.

I am not able to work from home as in the care sector but I always wondered if the reduced commuting costs would compensate for any increase in energy bills from having to work at home?

41 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I am not able to work from home as in the care sector but I always wondered if the reduced commuting costs would compensate for any increase in energy bills from having to work at home?

How do you sleep at night? 

It seems that people working from home are the Tories newest punching bag.
EgdJVvoXkAAaakr?format=jpg%26name=large&key=60d87554d4c06d0530db4af48e254577d904de7c94a30d120b9407d7a4bb4f66
They appear to have totally forgotten that under their SD policy offices can only accommodate approx a quarter of their previous capacity. Unless they completely ditch social distancing then 75% of staff will be unable to return. This is exactly the position at my work, we have the max amount of staff we can accommodate back around 70 out of 270.

8 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Ubercunt Littlejohn with the most ooft worthy opening paragraph of all time in the Mail tomorrow.

I never read his stuff but is Richard-working from home-Littlejohn really blaming the unions and the civil service for not buying a coffee from a tax avoiding multi conglomerate for millions unemployed? Is he really doing that?

Do c***s like Littlejohn not actually realise that working from home isn’t a choice that people make? The majority are doing it because their employers are telling them to, largely because social distancing means we cannot be in the physical building.

The fact that some people are seeing a few plus-sides to it should hardly be enough to warrant a rage-filled trashy article.