Coronavirus (COVID-19)

57 minutes ago, btb said:

That was the official line down south this morning (Business Secretary Alok Sharma 11:39) but BJ has just announced this will change if advice from their scientific/medical advisors recommends it - so next week at the latest. 

In other words, if they believe it will have support from their base once they've studied the Daily Mail comments section.

If the Johnson government announces something, give it between 24-72 hours and there will be a u-turn if there's too much criticism. 

Quite something seeing a government with an *80 seat majority* having no backbone unless Dominic Cummings is threatened. 

Our nursery were fine to take both kids with cold symptoms as cough was not persistent and no other covid symptoms. We kept them off 1 day until my negative test came back and they are back again.

I know of someone who went on a train plus a night out in Inverness waiting for test results. Their partner that they live with already had a positive test but they decided to still leave their house. Their results were positive. Arsehole behaviour.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

I can roll with it up until the highlighted part. Heading in to winter cold season we'd be as well going back to full lockdown if that's the case.

The rest of society doesn't actually get 10 colds a year from their grotty weans so you're fine thanks. Just stay in your house and watch Judge Judy for a fortnight.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Runny nose isn't a symptom of covid so I dunno why any head teachers are specifying that

Yep, there needs to be a sensible middle ground between having kids at school who have got a virus of any form and demanding negative tests before re-entering the classroom for patently bog-standard colds. No wonder the testing capacity is getting swamped if everyone with a runny nose is booking one to be on the safe side. Just keep people in the house and ditch the whole martyr approach to taking sick leave and absence.

Edit to add that the flow chart from the Fife nursery on the last page is reasonable enough.

Edited by vikingTON

I’d love to be in a school and trying to watch teachers enforce the mask on rule.

Well wouldn’t be much to see actually. There’s no chance of teachers enforcing that to any degree.

I’d love to be in a school and trying to watch teachers enforce the mask on rule.

Well wouldn’t be much to see actually. There’s no chance of teachers enforcing that to any degree.
Given it's in the corridors for literally minutes between periods there won't be a teacher in sight. Probably school kids as split as the rest of society on the mask issue. "Mass brawl between periods 3 and 4 headmaster...maskers v antivaxers"

How practical is that, in reality?
Thinking back to my school, there were a finite amount of classrooms, of which most were in use each period.
Factor in that your class group is not always the same for each subject (and therefore, by extension, period) and a staggered system would require a tremendous amount of planning, and either a reduction in time spent teaching each period (reducing the amount of learning time), or an extension to the school day to allow for 'longer' periods.
With staggered lessons teaching is happening all day - staff are just taking earlier lunches or later breaks.

What I don't understand is how kids with runny noses are getting tested in the first place.

It's not one of the symptoms, so I can only assume the parents are lying to the testing services (either online or by phone) when booking appointments, because otherwise you'd expect those working for the testing services to tell them to GTF.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

What I don't understand is how kids with runny noses are getting tested in the first place.

It's not one of the symptoms, so I can only assume the parents are lying to the testing services (either online or by phone) when booking appointments, because otherwise you'd expect those working for the testing services to tell them to GTF.

With a large testing capacity, I'd imagine they'll just be letting anyone turn up for a test who feels a little unwell.

Rather that than have Demi-Lee ranting on the Facebook that wee Jaxon has the virus but they're refusing to test him. 

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Is it really any different to your garden Facebook mum who's had wee Kayden at A&E because he was sick once and the doctors are all useless because they've told her to GTF? 

I'm sure there's a pile of exaggeration or lies involved. Unfortunately it wastes the NHS' resources through selfishness/stupidity. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

With a large testing capacity, I'd imagine they'll just be letting anyone turn up for a test who feels a little unwell.

Rather that than have Demi-Lee ranting on the Facebook that wee Jaxon has the virus but they're refusing to test him. 

Someone I know has put on twitter that they need to drive from Coatbridge to Inverness for their kid to get a test, as the time capsule in coatbridge is fully booked. The other option is they all stay home for 14 days. That clearly isn't sustainable.

Bearing in mind that ~1% of all tests are coming back positive, something has gone very wrong with the messaging for so many people to be seeking tests.

On top of that, the SG must have envisaged parents wanting to get their kids tested for anything and everything (especially with JL saying you should book a test immediately if you have any symptoms - kids cough all the time...). They've had 5 months to build the capacity, and clearly failed.

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

One of the symptoms is loss or change in taste or smell. Anyone who decides they want to get a test for whatever reason just needs to say they have one of those symptoms and there's really no way of telling those people to GTF.

Yep, there needs to be a sensible middle ground between having kids at school who have got a virus of any form and demanding negative tests before re-entering the classroom for patently bog-standard colds. No wonder the testing capacity is getting swamped if everyone with a runny nose is booking one to be on the safe side. Just keep people in the house and ditch the whole martyr approach to taking sick leave and absence.
Edit to add that the flow chart from the Fife nursery on the last page is reasonable enough.

The different variants for why people might have to be off work are more now, quite considerably, than they have ever been. There are so many different ways in which you can suddenly be telt to stay in the house during this, which IMO leads to the biggest problem the integrity of the test and trace system faces. Arsehole employers telling their workers that either, they have to come in regardless of tracing, or refusing to pay them during isolation, or some combination of the two.

I have spoken anecdotally before about a viral outbreak in a workplace, which was caused squarely by someone coming to work when they shouldnt have because their particular employers were arseholes who wouldnt pay them. Indeed, as it became clear we were dealing with a viral outbreak, said employer remained opposed to paying their workers unless they pitched up for work in the morning to be sent home by the works doctor. Only then would they not be docked a days pay.

Caused absolute fucking bedlam and that was on one site.

The whole country is going to have this going on.

Someone I know has put on twitter that they need to drive from Coatbridge to Inverness for their kid to get a test, as the time capsule in coatbridge is fully booked. The other option is they all stay home for 14 days. That clearly isn't sustainable.
Bearing in mind that ~1% of all tests are coming back positive, something has gone very wrong with the messaging for so many people to be seeking tests.
On top of that, the SG must have envisaged parents wanting to get their kids tested for anything and everything (especially with JL saying you should book a test immediately if you have any symptoms - kids cough all the time...). They've had 5 months to build the capacity, and clearly failed.
The messaging is crystal clear it's the media driven hysteria that's whipping the zoomers amongst us to believe every little snotter is C19.

The messaging is crystal clear it's the media driven hysteria that's whipping the zoomers amongst us to believe every little snotter is C19.
Well then theres an issue with the delivery of the message surely?

If the "message" is being so easily superseded by media wailing then it cant be that good.