Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

School wise, is it completely unfeasible to have a formal 'Open University style' form of distance learning for high schools courses at least? 

Even when I'm in university, I see some oversubscribed courses stick half the class in a separate room from the lecturer who they only see through video link. However, I appreciate that school and uni teaching aren't directly comparable as school seems to involve a bit more 'hand holding'. 

This said, even in the case that it is, it wouldn't be the sort of thing you could develop in just a month. 

That was the big difference I noticed from second level to third level education. If you weren't doing your assignments there was nobody chasing you up and you paid the consequences.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Any other P&B offshore workers had to do hotel isolation?

Got the joy of 'self isolating' in a hotel in Aberdeen for 3 days, to await a test then join a vessel. Am I just going to have to take a big bag of cans with me. Or was it alright getting stuff delivered to the hotel? 

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I was hearing that there's the possibility of a localised lockdown in Falkirk covering Bainsford and Langlees.

About ten years too late, likes.

Bainsford and Langlees need a lock-in not a lockdown. If they built a big wall round the entire area they’d keep the local grot away from Greggs long enough that they’d all starve to death thus allowing the bulldozers to move in and begin the regeneration of an affluent grot free borough. 

Bit harsh?

Any other P&B offshore workers had to do hotel isolation?
Got the joy of 'self isolating' in a hotel in Aberdeen for 3 days, to await a test then join a vessel. Am I just going to have to take a big bag of cans with me. Or was it alright getting stuff delivered to the hotel? 
My brother works on an offshore installation in Angola. He has to do 2 full weeks hotel lockdown on arrival in Angola which he says is utter murder.

10 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

It's not a typical school though. The kids there have physical or mental disabilities that are likely to cause staff to come in closer contact with pupils or other teachers than you would get at other schools.

Even just lifting a kid in and out of a chair etc will mean that you will have contacts with other people and surfaces that you won't get elsewhere. 

Our daughter's day centre has opened up again, only 7/8 in at a time and they are being accommodated in the dining room rather than their "own" rooms. Many of the clients are in wheelchairs and/or have learning difficulties so social distancing will be a non starter.

We have discussed the situation with her and the centre manager and have decided to hold off for a month at least to see how the situation unfolds.

I can't see it being viable long term with the same amount of staff/buses etc for only 25% of the clients (every day, there were about 30 + attendees prior to lockdown).

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's impressive! Was it at the Uni campus? Great news btw.

Yep.

First thing they asked me was to remove my dash cam from the front of my car! Then you have to drive through lots of tents as the staff explain what will happen before you do the test yourself.

7 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Yep.

First thing they asked me was to remove my dash cam from the front of my car! Then you have to drive through lots of tents as the staff explain what will happen before you do the test yourself.

Why?

(Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?)

20 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Except it wouldn't remain at a steady rate if everybody went back to mingling with one another, would it.

People mingling for two hours outdoors at a football match would be wearing face coverings. I fail to see how that would ramp up infection rate/deaths