Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The first part - that this is over.

As a public health crisis? Months ago. Only 0.005% of the population are even in hospital, never mind the 0.00005% seriously ill.

I personally look forward to the daily updates on seasonal flu cases in a few months (which will be similar levels to current covid cases), and the subsequent panic tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

13 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I'm always amazed at the facility of some Europeans with language - whenever I go to a new country I always try to learn the local language to basic phrasebook level before I go, but in some Scandinavian countries I've never got any further than "Ikke norsk/dansk" before the person I'm speaking to breaks into perfect idiomatic English. Holland's incredible for it too, although I suppose they've got the excuse of their own language being so close to English in the first place.

I was in North Macedonia a couple of summers ago visiting a friend and I decided to order a drink in Macedonian

Me: "Skopsko molim"

Waiter: "I can speak English"

Me: "Yes, but I was trying to practice Macedonian"

Waiter: "You don't need Macedonian in your life..."

In that part of the world English (the Septics rather than us to thank for that one) and German (a lot of people work in Germany) will get you by 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm absolutely nowhere near the city center btw, but thanks for white knighting anyway.

PS calling people who have the audacity to talk "c***s" is a fantastic display of Sturgeon's Schutzstaffel in full flow.

Any time mate. You know I'm ready to ride into action whenever the volume of conversations reaches a level above which we would need to lean in in order to hear properly. 

Yeah I think you've picked me up wrong in your last bit. You're getting a wee bit union bearsy recently mate put the daily mail comments section down. 

Edited by madwullie

11 hours ago, mizfit said:

Hopefully if we don’t see an added spike from schools returning and we get the Aberdeen cluster under control within the month we’ll be fine I think.

I've felt we were way too cautious in loosening restrictions on things like meeting or doing activities outside and outdoor catering, but I'm equally surprised we're sending secondary schools back full time. Apart from nightclubs, there can't be any environment more likely to spread the virus. If we get through the next six weeks or so without a major outbreak somewhere involving a school, I'll be amazed.

The parents should be fined for that. 
À fine example of people who see the schools as free childcare, right there. 
Seems like the child didn't have symptoms but attended a house party with folk on Monday who had previously been at one with kids from Bannerman who were positive and were advised that someone at that party had tested positive so got sent home.

Honest tae f**k who let's their weans go to a house party the now? Probably the same c***s who go on a pub crawl.

Amusing to see the flat earth types recounting stories of non compliance at every opportunity in an attempt to justify their stance. Amazingly shops I go into I see 90% plus mask compliance and my pub and restaurant visits bar 1 have seen measures all followed yet the anti crowd seem to see non compliance and thus justification at every turn.

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Amusing to see the flat earth types recounting stories of non compliance at every opportunity in an attempt to justify their stance. Amazingly shops I go into I see 90% plus mask compliance and my pub and restaurant visits bar 1 have seen measures all followed yet the anti crowd seem to see non compliance and thus justification at every turn.

Must admit i still havnt ventured into a pub or restaurant yet. I see far too many people not giving a f**k in my work ( staff and customers), I find it easier to just work and then go home.

Plus side thats the Christmas chocolates ready to be put out 🙂

I've felt we were way too cautious in loosening restrictions on things like meeting or doing activities outside and outdoor catering, but I'm equally surprised we're sending secondary schools back full time. Apart from nightclubs, there can't be any environment more likely to spread the virus. If we get through the next six weeks or so without a major outbreak somewhere involving a school, I'll be amazed.

Remember. We weren’t sending kids back until next year. We only decided to because people kicked off.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

You have to admire the dedication of yon Todd who has spent months moaning that he can't go to the pub only to go to a pub and spend his time posting in the Coronavirus thread on P&B. You love to see it

Poor boy has come out of this a broken man who can’t enjoy life without moaning or posting graphs on this thread. The forgotten victim of Covid.

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Poor boy has come out of this a broken man who can’t enjoy life without moaning or posting graphs on this thread. The forgotten victim of Covid.

I like to think he took a folder with him full of pre-printed graphs and charts to show everyone

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Remember. We weren’t sending kids back until next year. We only decided to because people kicked off.

Yup.

I understand that pupils need to be at school to let parents get back to work, but I wish they'd just be honest and say this rather than try to pretend it's 100% safe for pupils to be back.

Yup.
I understand that pupils need to be at school to let parents get back to work, but I wish they'd just be honest and say this rather than try to pretend it's 100% safe for pupils to be back.
Noone is pretending it's 100% safe. But the risk is minimal, and the benefit of schools going back is huge.

Yup.

The risks of incomplete education are far worse than the risk of coronavirus will ever be to any teenager apart from the tiny minority of them who are vulnerable. Corona is just a mild illness at worst to most teenagers. Many won’t get symptoms at all.

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The risks of incomplete education are far worse than the risk of coronavirus will ever be to any teenager apart from the tiny minority of them who are vulnerable. Corona is just a mild illness at worst to most teenagers. Many won’t get symptoms at all.

Mmm.

What about teenagers who live with other people? I understand that this could be quite a lot of them.