Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

No I do. Sadly as I'm not Russian, no vaccine for me to look forward to any time soon.

So you would happily have an untested vaccine then? There was never likely going to vaccine this year, the media just were looking for a story.

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Russia are claiming they've got one in use already

Aye, I've played enough survival horror games to know how mass vaccinations of an entirely untested shot will turn out...

It's not often Graphman makes a pertinent, well observed point but he's dead right about the quality of questions being asked at the FM's briefing. 

I mean, seriously what response did the journalist from The Scotsman expect when they asked if the FM was contemplating another Lockdown? Rhetorical question but did they just want the blatantly obvious response of 'we can't rule anything out during a global pandemic' simply so they can run the headline "FM Refuses to Rule out Second Lockdown"?

The standard of journalism in this country is truly terrible. It's all about lurid, sensationalist headlines rather than trying to hold governments to account. 

How can they say with any certainty at this stage that a death eg 29 days after a positive test is not covid related? We don't know enough about the medium to long term impacts of the virus yet.

I believe they also count people who are still receiving Covid treatment when they die (e.g. on a ventilator)

The Oxford/Astrazenica vaccine is already ready and waiting in large quantities. Just whether it ever gets released or not.

Fairly recent Lancet report on the early trials

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31604-4/fulltext

Edited by superbigal

34 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Whats happening with a vaccine? f**k all it looks like. 

Russia claims to have one already, everyone else is doing proper due diligence on the various vaccines to see if they 1. Work, 2. Don't end up killing you in a new and horrible way.

The Oxford Uni vaccine being produced by AstraZeneca has reached and begun stage 3 trials (the last stage pre-production) that's a study on something like 10,000 people and is being carried out in Brazil and South Africa (they needed places with high active case loads)

If it passes that, then production would likely begin in the autumn.

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Ordered the test, not that impressed that I have to go through a credit-check agency to do so, looks like gathering data for the sake of it. 

That's a bit odd. Do they say why this is needed?

1 minute ago, renton said:

Russia claims to have one already, everyone else is doing proper due diligence on the various vaccines to see if they 1. Work, 2. Don't end up killing you in a new and horrible way.

The Oxford Uni vaccine being produced by AstraZeneca has reached and begun stage 3 trials (the last stage pre-production) that's a study on something like 10,000 people and is being carried out in Brazil and South Africa (they needed places with high active case loads)

If it passes that, then production would likely begin in the autumn.

Already produced large stockpiles

The briefings could be shorter, but it's good that journalists get to ask questions etc.
That said, the questions from the journalists are quite poor, and seem to mostly be along the line of getting the FM to expand on what she's said. Sometimes the same question more than once.
Very rarely do questions come up which challenge the FM, and, when they do, they are rarely answered there and then.
I can't believe that journalists genuinely ask if Orkney will be getting locked down because 3 cases have popped up, nor can I believe that no one is even thinking of asking the FM why, if the virus is as bad as she wants us to believe, hospital admissions and deaths show no signs of increasing.
If it's going to just be a sook fest, there is no point in having a Q&A
Orkney outbreak is 19 cases now and had direct link to the Aberdeen one in so much as people in Aberdeen from Orkney who were contact traced and told to self isolate have returned home to various islands in Orkney and started to infect local inhabitants. Basically community transmissions.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
47 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
The briefings could be shorter, but it's good that journalists get to ask questions etc.
That said, the questions from the journalists are quite poor, and seem to mostly be along the line of getting the FM to expand on what she's said. Sometimes the same question more than once.
Very rarely do questions come up which challenge the FM, and, when they do, they are rarely answered there and then.
I can't believe that journalists genuinely ask if Orkney will be getting locked down because 3 cases have popped up, nor can I believe that no one is even thinking of asking the FM why, if the virus is as bad as she wants us to believe, hospital admissions and deaths show no signs of increasing.
If it's going to just be a sook fest, there is no point in having a Q&A

Orkney outbreak is 19 cases now and had direct link to the Aberdeen one in so much as people in Aberdeen from Orkney who were contact traced and told to self isolate have returned home to various islands in Orkney and started to infect local inhabitants. Basically community transmissions.

There are 3 positive cases

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53762033?__twitter_impression=true

People need to rapidly get a grip

Edited by Todd_is_God

I think that has been updated, It was a spokesperson for the NHS in Orkney on the radio at lunchtime that gave the details I posted. He advised 19 positive cases on the Islands and the majority had been tested on the mainland and had been counted in the NHS Grampian stats over the last few days. Not sure who you want to get a grip presumably the public health experts up there in Orkney in your capacity as PnB CMO (self appointed)