Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Projected grades based on teacher judgement to be reinstated.

Probably for the best, just chucks it to the Unis and employers to decide how inflated they feel the grades are I guess.

31 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Projected grades based on teacher judgement to be reinstated.

At least the FM hasn't publicly stated those grades weren't credible.

Wouldn't be ideal for the students if she had...

In fact, given that those who had their grades upgraded are allowed to keep them, they are now even less credible than before!

On a serious note, how can any employer, college or university have any confidence at all in any SQA awarded qualifications from this year?

An absolute clusterfuck.

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

At least the FM hasn't publicly stated those grades weren't credible.

Wouldn't be ideal for the students if she had...

In fact, given that those who had their grades upgraded are allowed to keep them, they are now even less credible than before!

On a serious note, how can any employer, college or university have any confidence at all in any SQA awarded qualifications from this year?

An absolute clusterfuck.

I'd trade my soul for a wish

43 minutes ago, renton said:

Probably for the best, just chucks it to the Unis and employers to decide how inflated they feel the grades are I guess.

Yeah, and we all know how they are going to decide how credible your grade is, what school you went to.

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I think a fair chunk of uni places at least are already decided. 

Yeah, mostly on last year's grades. There will be plenty of kids wanting to use this year's grades when they leave 6th year.

Howling at how uselessly this has been handled.

At least there’s an election next year and we can expect our current government to pay the price and be voted out, with an opposition full of ideas primed to take over.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Howling at how uselessly this has been handled.

At least there’s an election next year and we can expect our current government to pay the price and be voted out, with an opposition full of ideas primed to take over.

🤣🤣

Politicians love an open goal. That none of the supposed 'Scottish' opposition parties can even bring themselves to be open to the idea of supporting a referendum tells you how utterly useless they are. Completely ineffective.

In anycase, the general consensus seems to be that NS is now even more amazing because she is able to admit she made a mistake and apologise for it.

Only in Scotland could an absolute mess be spun so positively by voters blinded by idealism.

Guy in my work has just phoned in tonight and said he's come into contact with someone with Covid during his five days annual leave and will have to self-isolate for 2 weeks. The weird thing is that any active cases in WA for weeks and weeks have all been international travellers who are immediately taken to mandatory quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks.

The WA government website has recently changed so I can't find the figures but I'm almost certain there hasn't been any cases in the community for at least 2 months so I suspect he's in for a warning at the very least on his return. 

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

🤣🤣

Politicians love an open goal. That none of the supposed 'Scottish' opposition parties can even bring themselves to be open to the idea of supporting a referendum tells you how utterly useless they are. Completely ineffective.

In anycase, the general consensus seems to be that NS is now even more amazing because she is able to admit she made a mistake and apologise for it.

Only in Scotland could an absolute mess be spun so positively by voters blinded by idealism.

Pennies and dimes for a kiss

What an absolute shambles. We have kids who had their teacher predicted grades downgraded by senior management to fit in with our normal exam results. Now it turns out if we had stuck with the original grades they would have gone through. Punished by following their method which is now binned.

He has been a dreadful education minister but Swinney can't survive this surely.

1 minute ago, David W said:

What an absolute shambles. We have kids who had their teacher predicted grades downgraded by senior management to fit in with our normal exam results. Now it turns out if we had stuck with the original grades they would have gone through. Punished by following their method which is now binned.

He has been a dreadful education minister but Swinney can't survive this surely.

You couldn't burn his neck with a blowtorch.

The results business is rather a disaster.

The main problem is that the teacher estimates were so wildly out in the first place.  If they had been kept broadly in line with patterns that are established and reliable, then the SQA intervention wouldn't have been necessary.   As it is, that intervention took the form of using a tool too crude to prevent there being large numbers of genuine individual injustices.  

The reversal it's apparently necessitated though, is thoroughly unsatisfactory.

26 minutes ago, David W said:

Yeah it's an absolute farce. That they didn't see that people would be up in arms this in the first place is a bit worrying. Their damage control has been appalling. 

A lot of issues in teaching do come from the fact that every La has a different way of doing things, every school even, and it means there isn't really equity of experience or opportunity for the individual pupil. Not sure how to fix that though, or if it's even possible. Moderating the shit out of everything is crushing