Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

How old's your son? I went to school in Sweden when I was 9 with zero Swedish and I was pretty well fluent in a few months

He's just turned 8.  The problem here is they have to deal with 3 languages - the local dialect which is used for all day-day activities and the national language which is actually only used in the Manilla area in the main.  English is used as the legal language for official documents.  My son is competent in both Tagalog and the local dialect but his mother tongue would be English.  

26 minutes ago, hk blues said:

He's just turned 8.  The problem here is they have to deal with 3 languages - the local dialect which is used for all day-day activities and the national language which is actually only used in the Manilla area in the main.  English is used as the legal language for official documents.  My son is competent in both Tagalog and the local dialect but his mother tongue would be English.  

Does he speak English or Dundonian?

I had a problem last year with my sons school.  He started Primary 1 and was struggling with Thai (not speaking) reading and writing.  His teacher told him he would not be good at that because he was a "farange" (foreigner), even through he was born here and never set foot out the country once.  I was not please 1 bit and went to the school  unannounced to speak to the Director and teacher (Countryside school,  never had a "farange" before).  Told them what had happened. ie  He is learning 2 languages at the same time, he will be a little slower to start with.   Wife was mortified.

Problem fixed, finished last year 2nd in his class in all subject apart from Scottish (his words) where he is miles ahead.

Just have word with the school, I'm sure they will understand.

Edited by SlipperyP

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

@dirty dingus Is it you who is coming to Thailand later in the year?

Here is where our tourism situation is at https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1963463/safe-and-sealed-brings-hope-for-tourism-rally

Not great to be honest.  There is whispers within the tourism community/businesses  (I was part of it until May) that the Government  are holding out for a vaccine and to down tools until Jan '22 (Chinese New Year) 😱. Internal tourism is the way for 2 years....

Aye looks grim, have kind of resigned myself to be not going this year although I'll not cancel flight till later to see if anything changes. The quarantine seems pretty costly,  the ASQ cheapest is about a grand for the 14 days.  Trying to get covid treatment insurance will be a bugger too, my insurance said it has covid cover but it basically is only cover for flights if I have missed them due to hospitalization. Was thinking of going straight to Cambodia but they ask you to give them US 3.000 then start deducting testing and quarantine from that. You only quarantine for 1 day if you pass but if anyone on flight tests positive everyone pays and stays for the fortnight. Even if I went it would be pretty weird as by all accounts the majority of Thais don't want farang coming so doubt there would be much holiday vibe. I was only going to Thailand for 3 week beach vacation to either Koh Chang or Koh Phangan then deciding on whether to extend for Cambodia after that as Thai friends from Chaiyaphum are stuck in Kurdistan for the forseeable future.

The Russians are starting vaccination in October so will maybe ask KLM to take a  pit stop in the Urals and get Vladimir to shoot that vaccine straight into my veins, save a lot of hassle.

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Does he speak English or Dundonian?

I had a problem last year with my sons school.  He started Primary 1 and was struggling with Thai (not speaking) reading and writing.  His teacher told him he would not be good at that because he was a "farange" (foreigner), even through he was born here and never set foot out the country once.  I was not please 1 bit and went to the school  unannounced to speak to the Director and teacher (Countryside school,  never had a "farange" before).  Told them what had happened. ie  He is learning 2 languages at the same time, he will be a little slower to start with.   Wife was mortified.

Problem fixed, finished last year 2nd in his class in all subject apart from Scottish (his words) where he is miles ahead.

Just have word with the school, I'm sure they will understand.

Both English and Dundonian - according to my wife anyway.   

I don't think the problem is 100% the school - it's a combination of his laziness and the challenge of trying to learn/use 3 languages at the same time - sometimes literally!  My wife has a sneaking suspicion,  which I'm not totally buying into but... she reckons a few of the teachers are a wee bit racist and mark him down.  There were 18 kids in his class and 17 of them received an award of some kind or another - guess who was the odd one out?  Regardless, it's shitty behaviour from the teachers to single one kid (8 years old) like this.   Says more about them than him. I'd say.  

18 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Both English and Dundonian - according to my wife anyway.   

I don't think the problem is 100% the school - it's a combination of his laziness and the challenge of trying to learn/use 3 languages at the same time - sometimes literally!  My wife has a sneaking suspicion,  which I'm not totally buying into but... she reckons a few of the teachers are a wee bit racist and mark him down.  There were 18 kids in his class and 17 of them received an award of some kind or another - guess who was the odd one out?  Regardless, it's shitty behaviour from the teachers to single one kid (8 years old) like this.   Says more about them than him. I'd say.  

Racism or not they singling out which is not good for any person, never mind a child of 8 yo. Same as my sons school, they were treating him differently (not always the bad way) than the other students.  This may sound very old fashioned, however, this was the first time they had experience of teaching a student who looked 'different'. As some may say, we live in a readneck country village. They didn't know any different. They do now...quiet word telling them, he shits, pukes and cries the same colour as all the other kids, soon sorted that out.

Edited by SlipperyP

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Racism or not they singling out which is not good for any person, never mind a child of 8 yo. Same as my sons school, they were treating him differently (not always the bad way) than the other students.  This may sound very old fashioned, however, this was the first time they had experience of teaching a student who looked 'different'. As some may say, we live in a readneck country village. They didn't know any different. They do know...quiet word telling them, he shits, pukes and cries the same colour as all the other kids, soon sorted that out.

Strange thing is there are a few foreign students in his school although not in his class. so it's not like he's unique.  I wasn't so worried about him being bottom, someone has to be, but the thought process, or lack of, that thought it OK to single a kid out in such a way.  

We'll keep our eyes on it.  

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Aye looks grim, have kind of resigned myself to be not going this year although I'll not cancel flight till later to see if anything changes. The quarantine seems pretty costly,  the ASQ cheapest is about a grand for the 14 days.  Trying to get covid treatment insurance will be a bugger too, my insurance said it has covid cover but it basically is only cover for flights if I have missed them due to hospitalization. Was thinking of going straight to Cambodia but they ask you to give them US 3.000 then start deducting testing and quarantine from that. You only quarantine for 1 day if you pass but if anyone on flight tests positive everyone pays and stays for the fortnight. Even if I went it would be pretty weird as by all accounts the majority of Thais don't want farang coming so doubt there would be much holiday vibe. I was only going to Thailand for 3 week beach vacation to either Koh Chang or Koh Phangan then deciding on whether to extend for Cambodia after that as Thai friends from Chaiyaphum are stuck in Kurdistan for the forseeable future.

The Russians are starting vaccination in October so will maybe ask KLM to take a  pit stop in the Urals and get Vladimir to shoot that vaccine straight into my veins, save a lot of hassle.

The highlighted is the main problem at the moment.  Government are more or less telling the people it's a dirty foreigner disease.  News, is all about how good the Thais are doing while all around crumbles.  The Government in charge (army), this is all great news for them.   

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Rounds are for folk who drink out of obligation rather than a way to enjoy themselves. "Hud on, let me down this drink purely so that someone else can buy me the next one even though I'm not really ready for it".

The hybrid system of going to the bar when you need one, but also offering to buy a drink for anyone in your party who needs one at the same time, tends to work pretty well when you're in distinguished company. You roughly end up buying the same number of drinks that you actually consume, and it lets you drink at your own pace.

Not doing rounds is predominantly for students and tight c***s (often one in the same).

38 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

The highlighted is the main problem at the moment.  Government are more or less telling the people it's a dirty foreigner disease.  News, is all about how good the Thais are doing while all around crumbles.  The Government in charge (army), this is all great news for them.   

I take it the blame is getting shunted onto the European foreigners rather than the big money china investing ones?  I think the government will have their hands full soon enough as I see the students movement getting stronger and think a lot of people are still pissed with the closing down of the Future Forward Party.  Interesting times ahead.

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It will be interesting to see if she comes out all guns blazing tomorrow...

Perhaps they should have been tougher with enforcement at the start. Had the police been fining people for gathering, not keeping distance, not wearing masks.etc instead of silly warnings the word would have spread and I think we would have had less issues.  France introducing progressive fines for those not wearing masks in the street.

Councils should have officials visiting bars, restaurants, etc on a daily basis and where conditions are not being met then the premises should be closed down immediately.  The world would quickly go round and proprietors would ensure they happened to protect their business.

For people returning to the country from abroad - there should have been mandatory quarantine in a hotel initially paid for by the government but after a few weeks it would be up to the individual to pay after they had been warned of the consequences of traveling abroad. Australia are currently quarantining people who travel to a different state and it is at the individuals expense.

Much of this should have been clamped down at the start but the FM is reluctant to enforce law and we are now seeing the results.

Edited by Hard Graft

The rounds thing is a weird one, it's undeniably the best way to buy pints in groups but I do agree with much of what craigkillie is saying and its a reason I ended up with a bit of an issue with drinking. At 17 as an apprentice engineer, the pub and drinking lots was ingrained in the older engineers and they would drag you along there after work or if we were working away. They drank like fish, pints gone about 7 minutes and during the first couple of sessions I was actually sat with two and half pints such was the rate they were going through them. As a 17 year old guy I didn't want to be the wee fanny who couldn't handle his drink, so I forced myself to drink faster to keep up. Same went for my mates, if you started lagging behind on the pints you'd get slagged off for it, so you forced yourself to drink a bit faster, or I did anyway. It wasn't until I was 21 and me and my dad and brothers went out for a pint together to celebrate that I realised just how quickly I sank pints. I could see my dad thinking "f**k me, is this how he drinks when he's out" after two pints.

Nowadays I'm a bit better at pacing myself and I'll just politely decline a pint in the round if it's coming round too fast (unless it's my round, in which I'll just not buy myself one).

10 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

Perhaps they should have been tougher with enforcement at the start. Had the police been fining people for gathering, not keeping distance, not wearing masks.etc instead of silly warnings the word would have spread and I think we would have had less issues.  France introducing progressive fines for those not wearing masks in the street.

Councils should have officials visiting bars, restaurants, etc on a daily basis and where conditions are not being met then the premises should be closed down immediately.  The world would quickly go round and proprietors would ensure they happened to protect their business.

For people returning to the country from abroad - there should have been mandatory quarantine in a hotel initially paid for by the government but after a few weeks it would be up to the individual to pay after they had been warned of the consequences of traveling abroad. Australia are currently quarantining people who travel to a different state and it is at the individuals expense.

Much of this should have been clamped down at the start but the FM is reluctant to enforce law and we are now seeing the results.

That is not the job of the government they introduce it after scrutiny from the parliament and then the local authority or police enforce the law

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

I take it the blame is getting shunted onto the European foreigners rather than the big money china investing ones?  I think the government will have their hands full soon enough as I see the students movement getting stronger and think a lot of people are still pissed with the closing down of the Future Forward Party.  Interesting times ahead.

Of course it's a white man problem, because they can not contain it like the super Chinese. 

As for the students, boiling up, yesterday demonstration all over Thailand (not covered by the news), my 17 yo, who NEVER speaks to me was showing some footage she had on her phone.  

Today's news was all about them(students) disrespecting the King/Royals and showing a speech from some Ex military to 700 hundred people telling us how disrespectful those young people have become. Playing the King Card as always when they don't like it.

I'll not type too much.  You think the BBC is bad folks.

5 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A round has always been just getting whoever actually wants another pint at the time to me. Nobody's ever bought me another pint if I'm still nursing 3/4 of my last one and I'd be annoyed with them if they did and I had to stand there like a double guzzing plum.

Yes, this is essentially what I was referring to in my post. But rounds seem to be like a religion to some folk, an illogical process that you have to follow because of some arcane tradition from the olden days.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

A round has always been just getting whoever actually wants another pint at the time to me. Nobody's ever bought me another pint if I'm still nursing 3/4 of my last one and I'd be annoyed with them if they did and I had to stand there like a double guzzing plum.

This isn't about friendship, it's about the bãstards getting more than you. If you're not ready for a pint, get something else. My group all understand this and we get on fine.

11 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Of course it's a white man problem, because they can not contain it like the super Chinese. 

As for the students, boiling up, yesterday demonstration all over Thailand (not covered by the news), my 17 yo, who NEVER speaks to me was showing some footage she had on her phone.  

Today's news was all about them(students) disrespecting the King/Royals and showing a speech from some Ex military to 700 hundred people telling us how disrespectful those young people have become. Playing the King Card as always when they don't like it.

I'll not type too much.  You think the BBC is bad folks.

Ha, need to watch the P's & Q's don't want you getting into hot water with the authorities . I'm a republican so I have discovered in conversation how unwilling the Thai nationals are of getting on the wrong side of lese majeste laws. I do sense lesser respect for the new king though as there is far less pictures, calendars and posters around of him.

I don't think the attitude of a lot of the ex-pat Pattaya/Phuket crowd in openly trying to circumvent lockdown helped with shaping the publics opinion.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

That is not the job of the government they introduce it after scrutiny from the parliament and then the local authority or police enforce the law

The government have mandated the style of policing to be adopted around covid regulations via the engage, explain and enforce as a last resort approach. 

2 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Ha, need to watch the P's & Q's don't want you getting into hot water with the authorities . I'm a republican so I have discovered in conversation how unwilling the Thai nationals are of getting on the wrong side of lese majeste laws. I do sense lesser respect for the new king though as there is far less pictures, calendars and posters around of him.

I don't think the attitude of a lot of the ex-pat Pattaya/Phuket crowd in openly trying to circumvent lockdown helped with shaping the publics opinion.

100% this king is not respected.......reasons being you can google, i can't

For your second point, those who don't know Thailand.  Pattaya, never go. Phuket in the name Fuckin, 1000 places/beaches better than that shithole sorry @Perkin Flump, looks good, pocket got a hole all day,.

I've had a few beer now, so i'll be open. ANY c**t on this website want's to travel to Thailand, ask me first. I'll fine and deliver.

work 11 years in with the TAT, even have uniform and badge (which I burnt)

New Zealand finding new cases from community transmission should raise questions about the viability of a "zero covid" approach in the long run.

Be interesting to see how (and if) this develops among a population largely unexposed to the virus.