Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Because staff for the Louisa Jordan would have had to be pulled from the rest of the NHS. We already redeployed a load of staff to hospital critical care units. If I were proper sick with The Covids, I would want to be treated in an actual intensive care unit, in an actual hospital with all the ancillary facilities, not a field hospital in a conference centre.

Which is understandable but what about all the (many, many more) people with chronic or acute illnesses who can't get the required treatment for months on end because every NHS hospital is bricking itself about the risk of spreading Covid? This trade-off is nowhere near acceptable for those other patients, who aren't going to go away unless they do so 'before their time' because of the knock-on effects of obsessing about the pandemic. 

54 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think the poll about a Covid vaccine was a little misleading, 73% of respondents were either certain, highly likely or fairly likely to take the vaccine. I think that surveys based on hypotheticals can give misleading results -it’s one thing to say no to a survey question but another to actually refuse to vaccinate. The survey said that 16% of people were not very likely, unlikely or definitely not going to take the vaccine. I’m fairly sure that vaccine refusal rates for childhood vaccinations are nowhere near 16%.

Regarding the vaccine conspiracism, it’s extremely damaging but I can’t help think that a lot of people who pile in on it aren’t interested in public health or safety and just want to post on the internet laughing at stupid people. Many of the people you will see rage against vaccine conspiracies are happy to peddle conspiracies of their own when they fit into their own opinions. We live in a world obsessed with conspiracy where wide numbers of people believe things that are completely batshit.

I’m very guilty of the “laughing at stupid people” thing myself, I actually started a vaccine thread on here a few years ago dunking on the Wakefield supporters and anti-vaxxers and one poster, who is/was well regarded said they had paid for their kids to have separate MMR vaccines at the time because they were spooked by the stories. I don’t think I said much in reply because what would I have said? “you stupid c**t, you put your child’s lives at risk?”. That might be strictly accurate but it’s not helpful towards the stated goal, getting people to vaccinate. The people who deserve to be called stupid c***s are the hardcore anti Vaccine campaigners (Wakefield, McCarthy and Kennedy) and even then you shouldn’t do it as it’s engagement. For people who are confused by it and who are perhaps edging towards vaccine hesitant, they should be given cold hard info by a doctor or health visitor. We should be training up HVs, doctors and nurses to have these conversations now.

Also, to bolster my vaccine credentials, I’d happily bar unvaccinated children from public schools and remove state benefits from parents who won’t vaccinate their children.

I agree and disagree. I think if people are pulling the anti-vax shit out in a public area (I mean "normal" vaccines, not the CV one) it's important to call out the bullshit and provide evidence / studies to back yourself up. There's too many impressionable people about that can be sucked in by stuff like that and it's important they see the other side too. The aim isn't to convince the nutcase, but to provide sane information for the impressionable. 

I feel kind of the same about the anti-mask fannies on Facebook as well. Those groups are populated by old and vulnerable people who don't necessarily understand the Internet. And given old people are particularly vulnerable to this it's important imo to counter the "masks lower your immune system" type garbage that's all over these groups. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Which is understandable but what about all the (many, many more) people with chronic or acute illnesses who can't get the required treatment for months on end because every NHS hospital is bricking itself about the risk of spreading Covid? This trade-off is nowhere near acceptable for those other patients, who aren't going to go away unless they do so 'before their time' because of the knock-on effects of obsessing about the pandemic. 

I can only really speak from a theatre perspective.

The major issues we're having involve a huge decrease in bed numbers in older wards due to social distancing measures, decreased staff due to shielding and just a general increase in the amount of time it takes to do any kind of procedure, particularly if it involves a general anaesthetic.

Many anaesthetic staff were redeployed to intensive care units. Most are now back, but Covid precautions add at least 40 mins onto a case - you can see why high turnover lists like tonsillectomies, gallbladders etc have just been decimated.

The Louisa Jordan isn't equipped with theatre facilities or all the stuff that goes along with theatre work, like the sterilisation facilities etc. Perhaps it could be utilised for outpatient procedures: scopes, local procedures etc. I think this is the plan.

A lot of consultations are now being done virtually, which for many things is fine, but there's people who need seen face to face. Again, perhaps using other facilities may work.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think the poll about a Covid vaccine was a little misleading, 73% of respondents were either certain, highly likely or fairly likely to take the vaccine. I think that surveys based on hypotheticals can give misleading results -it’s one thing to say no to a survey question but another to actually refuse to vaccinate. The survey said that 16% of people were not very likely, unlikely or definitely not going to take the vaccine. I’m fairly sure that vaccine refusal rates for childhood vaccinations are nowhere near 16%.

There is clearly a distinction between choosing not to vaccinate your children against illnesses that have killed and seriously harmed millions of children and choosing not to vaccinate yourself against an illness which will likely have zero impact on you. 

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There is clearly a distinction between choosing not to vaccinate your children against illnesses that have killed and seriously harmed millions of children and choosing not to vaccinate yourself against an illness which will likely have zero impact on you. 

I thought you had a hard-on for herd immunity? It's the only way it's going to happen.

Having a pint in Ullapool. Sat at an outside table, downloaded Swifty app, popped my card details in, ordered and paid for it, pint arrived 2 minutes later. They've got my name, phone number, location and bank details, I've got a pint. It's not rocket science. (well it was probably harder than rocket science developing all the technology that makes it work, but you get my point.)

55 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Having a pint in Ullapool. Sat at an outside table, downloaded Swifty app, popped my card details in, ordered and paid for it, pint arrived 2 minutes later. They've got my name, phone number, location and bank details, I've got a pint. It's not rocket science. (well it was probably harder than rocket science developing all the technology that makes it work, but you get my point.)

All that just puts me off going to a pub or restaurant. I went to an Ice Cream place in Irvine on Saturday and was going to sit in until I realised they wanted name/number etc so I just took it back to the car. Same with food, Ive only had takeaways and won’t be in a restaurant until this “new normal” shit is over 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

All that just puts me off going to a pub or restaurant. I went to an Ice Cream place in Irvine on Saturday and was going to sit in until I realised they wanted name/number etc so I just took it back to the car. Same with food, Ive only had takeaways and won’t be in a restaurant until this “new normal” shit is over 

Have you absconded from Borstal or something? Do you only use cash?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'm a fan of table service apps. Particularly if im out on my own with work, or only out for a couple.

I do prefer using cash if i'm on a proper night out mind.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I downloaded the App after reading about it in a Subday supplement. Turned on location and the nearest participating outlet was 54 miles away in Bathgate with the 4th on the list being over the border in Carlisle. Hasn't taken off up here the way it appears to have down South which is a pity as it looks a great tool for the pubs. Have a hunch it's the efficiency in collecting contact data that might just be stopping outlets getting on board !

Why would you have a problem with them being able to contact you in the event of a local positive case?

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

It's so long ago now I can't remember if it was you that started the last big cash vs cards row on spurious grounds that cash was quicker.

I don't think so. Cards are quicker these days for sure. My preference is purely based on ease of keeping track of what I've spent on a night out!

16 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I downloaded the App after reading about it in a Subday supplement. Turned on location and the nearest participating outlet was 54 miles away in Bathgate with the 4th on the list being over the border in Carlisle. Hasn't taken off up here the way it appears to have down South which is a pity as it looks a great tool for the pubs. Have a hunch it's the efficiency in collecting contact data that might just be stopping outlets getting on board !

Seems great, only downside seems to be that I couldn't order ice with my large Whyte and Mackay. Maybe they'll give me a wee saucer so I can choose. 

53 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

47 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I use a mix of cash and card but I don’t like being dictated to that I must use card 

Straight in at No. 1...

845ecdf15eeda82f29f7f07c765927f3.gif

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I prefer using cash on a night out, purely on the basis that I won't spend too much without realising. But, for fucks sake, I would rather use a card and spend an extra tenner than refuse point blank to go out. That's dark age crazy shit.

I have a four hour tattoo session on Friday and I am strangely nervous about it. No idea why, they are the more sterile places you could probably visit outwith a hospital. In fact, they are probably cleaner than a hospital.