Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you as teachers been told to wear masks/maintain 1 metre etc?

Since test and protect came along my work have basically, not in so many words told us that since you WILL be maintaining social distance at work, you WILL NOT name any of your colleagues should you be contacted by tracers. Pretty cynical right from the off, and in the current climate I expect you will face similar skullduggery from your employers. 

No masks. We have to attempt to socially distance from pupils and other members of staff.

Edited by Gaz

I think that if there’s a positive test of a pupil or staff member the school involved will be closed and deep cleaned. I’m not sure how long they’ll be shut for. I think that even if the management tried to keep the schools open a lot of parents would keep their kids off and some staff wouldn’t go in.

My son has been back at nursery for about a month and we’ve not heard anything about any infections resulting from any preschool child care so hopefully that’s a good omen, although clearly primary and secondary education are a different level to nurseries in terms of size and number of exposures.

Perth high school shut for 2 days for a deep clean in February after a pupil was sent home showing symptoms. I mind the carnage on Facebook from people going mental about it.

I dont think they will close the schools again unless we reach the unchecked hospital threatening numbers of pre lockdown. Unless you mean closed for the rest of that day for a clean?

Closing the schools again just as furlough ends will result in colossal pressure to go back to that. I realise it doesnt neccesarily make sense, but that's how I think folk would react.

I think if there is a positive test among pupils or staff they will close the affected school for a week at least and get a deep clean done. If a council or the Scottish Government tried to do anything less it would be madness - people won’t send their kids in, a lot of teachers and other staff would refuse to go in. I’m not sure if schools are affected by the local lockdowns in Leicester , Greater Manchester and Aberdeen but if there are more local flare ups in Scotland and the schools are kept open I think absenteeism is going to through the roof, from pupils and staff.

It’s estimated that there will be a lot of kids kept off school when we go back and there were quite a few kids who were kept off the last week or so before the schools were shut. The number of kids who attended the hubs was far fewer than the numbers who were eligible. There’s a big narrative from some that parents are bursting to get schools back for ‘free childcare’ but that’s only part of the story, people are also very nervous of the virus. Prior to the forced shutting of all hospitality, businesses and offices attendance at all of these was hugely down and that was before 50,000 people died with the virus.

Absolute outrage on Hamilton news stand fb group yesterday because some kid friendly posters had been put up outside the primaries, telling kids that it's a good idea to be aware of your own space atm and explaining what 2m is. 

Plenty of beelin women plotting to go down to school and rip the posters down, banging on about msm and the fear driven agenda etc. So tiresome. 

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think if there is a positive test among pupils or staff they will close the affected school for a week at least and get a deep clean done. If a council or the Scottish Government tried to do anything less it would be madness - people won’t send their kids in, a lot of teachers and other staff would refuse to go in. I’m not sure if schools are affected by the local lockdowns in Leicester , Greater Manchester and Aberdeen but if there are more local flare ups in Scotland and the schools are kept open I think absenteeism is going to through the roof, from pupils and staff.

It’s estimated that there will be a lot of kids kept off school when we go back and there were quite a few kids who were kept off the last week or so before the schools were shut. The number of kids who attended the hubs was far fewer than the numbers who were eligible. There’s a big narrative from some that parents are bursting to get schools back for ‘free childcare’ but that’s only part of the story, people are also very nervous of the virus. Prior to the forced shutting of all hospitality, businesses and offices attendance at all of these was hugely down and that was before 50,000 people died with the virus.

I kept our two boys in the last couple of weeks before lockdown happened properly. I don't have a problem sending them next week (youngest starts p1 and feel that's vital for him to be there and to get settled in and stuff). Just have to hope that the prevalence of the virus is low enough that they won't have a chance to catch it because they won't come into contact with it. 

I will be interested to see this study the tories are supposed to be referring to today, because everything I know about the virus suggests that a school would be a cracking place for it to take hold and spread with ease. Would be great if that wasn't the case tho. 

And yeah, I agree that the very loud voices from McConnell and his supporters have probably put disproportionate pressure on schools and LAs compared to how many parents are actually chomping to get them back. I mean yeah, I want them to go back and not miss out, but not at the cost of catching / spreading the virus. 

Edited by madwullie

Back in. Antibacterial and antiviral wipes for every room. Our school had a near 80% accuracy for our estimates which is decent although one school in our region apparently had a 52% accuracy [emoji51] which is a bit of an indicator of something. (VT incoming in three... two...) We can wear masks of we want (and have to wear them of we are in close proximity to pupils for more than 15 minutes) and practical subjects like mine are a bit hamstrung at the moment with equipment that would normally be shared not really being able to be used. PE only allowed outdoors and no inside crush areas to be used in inclement weather so hopefully the kids all wear jackets...

I kept our two boys in the last couple of weeks before lockdown happened properly. I don't have a problem sending them next week (youngest starts p1 and feel that's vital for him to be there and to get settled in and stuff). Just have to hope that the prevalence of the virus is low enough that they won't have a chance to catch it because they won't come into contact with it. 
I will be interested to see this study the tories are supposed to be referring to today, because everything I know about the virus suggests that a school would be a cracking place for it to take hold and spread with ease. Would be great if that wasn't the case tho. 
And yeah, I agree that the very loud voices from McConnell and his supporters have probably put disproportionate pressure on schools and LAs compared to how many parents are actually chomping to get them back. I mean yeah, I want them to go back and not miss out, but not at the cost of catching / spreading the virus. 
Mine will be going.

The vaccine isnt here yet. All of the experts despite the hope, seem to still offer caution on that front.

Elimination is impossible. Pretty clear to see that given the way the numbers have kicked up.

Leaves me with the option of indefinitely suspending my kids education and social development, or sending them in regardless.

Folk are free to do what they want but trying to get my kids back to some sort of actual childhood is important to me so they will be going.

They had a woman on the news yesterday banging on about how she wouldn’t be taking any vaccine that she hadn’t done her own research on. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t in any way a scientist which is so cool. Wish I had the brain that could lead me to 1. think that way and 2. be confident enough to go on the news and just state it with as much self-assurance as she had

They had a woman on the news yesterday banging on about how she wouldn’t be taking any vaccine that she hadn’t done her own research on. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t in any way a scientist which is so cool. Wish I had the brain that could lead me to 1. think that way and 2. be confident enough to go on the news and just state it with as much self-assurance as she had
Read an article earlier about a survey suggesting only 50% of Brits are certain or highly likely to accept a vaccine. I think it was from some shit heel publication like the Mail, but there are undoubtedly concerns about the vaccine, and the seeds of mistrust in "the science" have been seen by the govt who assured us all decisions would be made in accordance with "the science" and yet are totally determined to go their own way and throw scientists under the bus.

This is "people are sick of experts" all over again. This time round it's not going to be a core of anti vaxxer lunatics who dont trust it. It's going to be a huge chunk of the population, and much like Brexit, treating them like idiots wont get us very far.

A large chunk of the population digging their heels in and refusing a vaccine will be a major problem in terms of getting to the back of this. There will have to be some amount of education delivered over this.

We could have a glass box in every town centre with a dentist's chair where we could watch antivaxxers be strapped down and forcibly vaccinated for entertainment. I think that would do a lot to bring local communities together.
I think maybe you should only be allowed 1 policy at a time

It says a lot about the EIS that while they've been willing in recent years to jump up and down and threaten an array of strikes over teachers not getting enough of a pay rise, when school employees get fired into one of the most laughably unsafe environments in the country right now they devote the summer to extracting, erm, zero meaningful concessions that would not only protect their own members but also all the support staff as well. 

FWIW I think the schools should be back this week for a number of reasons. What annoys me is the Scottish Government kidding on that this is all being done because risk is low and safety is of paramount importance, while at the same time demonising pubs or laying into some teenagers having a swally in Kelvingrove Park.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Mine will be going.

The vaccine isnt here yet. All of the experts despite the hope, seem to still offer caution on that front.

Elimination is impossible. Pretty clear to see that given the way the numbers have kicked up.

Leaves me with the option of indefinitely suspending my kids education and social development, or sending them in regardless.

Folk are free to do what they want but trying to get my kids back to some sort of actual childhood is important to me so they will be going.

Yeah totally agree 👍 

Read an article earlier about a survey suggesting only 50% of Brits are certain or highly likely to accept a vaccine. I think it was from some shit heel publication like the Mail, but there are undoubtedly concerns about the vaccine, and the seeds of mistrust in "the science" have been seen by the govt who assured us all decisions would be made in accordance with "the science" and yet are totally determined to go their own way and throw scientists under the bus.

This is "people are sick of experts" all over again. This time round it's not going to be a core of anti vaxxer lunatics who dont trust it. It's going to be a huge chunk of the population, and much like Brexit, treating them like idiots wont get us very far.

A large chunk of the population digging their heels in and refusing a vaccine will be a major problem in terms of getting to the back of this. There will have to be some amount of education delivered over this.

That’s what prompted this woman’s appearance. As usual I’ve been paying attention to like 20% of what’s been going on with the vaccine but the issue seems to be a feeling that it’s being rushed out and will be untested but isn’t that a moot point since a vaccine is unlikely for a while anyway? Felt like a whole discussion around a problem which just won’t exist.

That’s what prompted this woman’s appearance. As usual I’ve been paying attention to like 20% of what’s been going on with the vaccine but the issue seems to be a feeling that it’s being rushed out and will be untested but isn’t that a moot point since a vaccine is unlikely for a while anyway? Felt like a whole discussion around a problem which just won’t exist.
Dont know. There still seems to be some steam behind the idea that one (oxford on?) might ready by January?

And the Chinese are already playing their military I think. Mad Vlad says October for his flock.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Mine will be going.

I was left with 3 options here -

1- Keep my son out of school until this time next year IF a vaccine is found by then

2- Send him to public school as they are re-opening 

3-Enrol him in his school's online programme for this school year

I went for the lesser of 3 evils - option 3.   Option 1 was a no-go and Option 2 a major concern as social distancing etc etc will be non-existent and he struggles with the local dialect which is used in public schools.  

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

They've got a couple of fancy new techniques in vaccine development that can speed up the testing process massively and pretty well guarantee safety. A big shout out to Bolsonaro for providing a massive human Petri dish to try them out.