Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I'm not criticising it because it's the snp, it's because I think it's wrong. There will be plenty snp members whose kids will be affected by this. It goes beyond party politics imo (as does CV) 

I'm not particularly interested in the grades of English students. I know their government is a wreck. I believe ours can do better. 

Yeah it's definitely the big bad government to blame here and not the dunces in the education sector who - much like yourself - failed to look at a straightforward chart of historical attainment and think 'oh this data is obviously fucking relevant to my otherwise total back of a fag packet set of grade predictions'.

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yeah it's definitely the big bad government to blame here and not the dunces in the education sector who - much like yourself - failed to look at a straightforward chart of historical attainment and think 'oh this data is obviously fucking relevant to my otherwise total back of a fag packet set of grade predictions'.

You got a hard on when you saw I'd posted about that didn't you.

Edited by madwullie

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

No but the dial on my braying stupidity sensor (very handy in this sort of thread) nearly smashed as a result.

Do you take the battery out before posting? 

Edited by Angusfifer

Middle aged woman came into my work yesterday.

Admitted she'd just got back from France that morning, and had spent all morning at the dentist and shops. No face mask on as she "didn't have one on her".

Drove past the skate park and it was filled with huge groups huddled together. On the park you had large groups gathering having picnics.

Can see Perth getting hit soon.

Just now, Tynierose said:

bored russell westbrook GIF by NBA

Its not even a lie tbh. Her car wouldn't start at the fuel station across the road after she'd be around the shop beside it.

She'd gone straight there from the airport.

Probably be fine, but folk are still taking massive risks and not following guidelines all over the place that I can see. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its not even a lie tbh. Her car wouldn't start at the fuel station across the road after she'd be around the shop beside it.

She'd gone straight there from the airport.

Probably be fine, but folk are still taking massive risks and not following guidelines all over the place that I can see. 

But there are no guidelines saying you should quarantine after arriving from France. So she was doing nothing wrong. 

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I've got a few quibbles but I haven't seen a better summing up of what's been going on across the pond. He left out what Eisenhower called the military industrial complex meaning that in order for Congressmen to justify demanding more dollars for arms factories and and military bases in their states, amounting to multiple times more than they needed for defence, they had an urgent motive to justify it with more wars. Anyway, here's a quote I thought summed it up.

I read that quote but I was amazed at some of the facts in the article.

At its peak, Henry Ford’s Willow Run Plant produced a B-24 Liberator every two hours, around the clock.

Shipyards in Long Beach and Sausalito spat out Liberty ships at a rate of two a day for four years; the record was a ship built in four days, 15 hours and 29 minutes.

A single American factory, Chrysler’s Detroit Arsenal, built more tanks than the whole of the Third Reich.

Also

On D-Day, June 6th, 1944, the Allied death toll was 4,414; in 2019, domestic gun violence had killed that many American men and women by the end of April.

Fascinating facts.

The Unraveling of America

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/?fbclid=IwAR3y7pPUQ7lx2igelAM_P1i_6hwMDq509PN9lv00eSz2e6jrKZl4Thcmti4

SQA need to take some of the blame - they sat on the estimates for 2 months and did f**k all to get those who had submitted inflated estimates to review them.

They had the estimates from 28 May - all submitted electronically - still had plenty of time to send them back.

47 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I read that quote but I was amazed at some of the facts in the article.

At its peak, Henry Ford’s Willow Run Plant produced a B-24 Liberator every two hours, around the clock.

Shipyards in Long Beach and Sausalito spat out Liberty ships at a rate of two a day for four years; the record was a ship built in four days, 15 hours and 29 minutes.

A single American factory, Chrysler’s Detroit Arsenal, built more tanks than the whole of the Third Reich.

Also

On D-Day, June 6th, 1944, the Allied death toll was 4,414; in 2019, domestic gun violence had killed that many American men and women by the end of April.

Fascinating facts.

The Unraveling of America

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/?fbclid=IwAR3y7pPUQ7lx2igelAM_P1i_6hwMDq509PN9lv00eSz2e6jrKZl4Thcmti4

The bit in bold I found quite surprising. I'd always figured it was much higher.

39 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The Ken Burns documentary about WW2 covers a lot of this kind of thing, it really was incredible what they got done.

They had a huge geographical advantage with nobody capable of bombing them. Heard a radio thing recently saying that we had to split Spitfire production into wee sheds around the country.

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The bit in bold I found quite surprising. I'd always figured it was much higher.

The Allies lost most of their casualties in the ensuing attempt to build a bridgehead following the landing, as the bocages of Normandy - which are fields surrounded by 15-foot hedges - suited defenders much more than attackers.

On D-Day itself about three-quarters of the casualties were on two of the five beaches....the Saving Private Ryan Omaha beach accounted for about 2000 deaths and the Canadian Juno beach about another 1000.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

After watching Saving Private Ryan I thought so as well.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Thought so too, this explains it well.

https://www.history.com/news/d-day-casualties-deaths-allies

Among the stunning losses of those first-wave soldiers were 19 young men known as “the Bedford Boys.” The U.S. Congress chose Bedford, Virginia as the site of the National D-Day Memorial because it suffered the highest per capita D-Day losses of any community in the nation. The 19 Bedford Boys were mostly National Guardsman who were some of the first to land on Omaha beach.

Incidently my Dad was badly wounded at the Battle of Caen six weeks after D-day.

He was in the Black Watch and he and another two guys jumped into a shell crater but unfortunately a shell followed them in.

The two guys were killed and my Dad's back was peppered with shrapnel.

That was his war finished.