Coronavirus (COVID-19)

COVID-19: WHY SCOTLAND VS ENGLAND COMPARISONS ARE MISLEADING

04 August 2020

Does the “zero deaths” narrative in Scotland stand up to scrutiny?

https://www.these-islands.co.uk/publications/i355/covid_19_why_scotland_vs_england_comparisons_are_misleading.aspx

The NRS report shows that in the week to 26th July (the latest available data), there were 8 deaths in Scotland where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate, despite zero daily deaths being reported at each day’s daily press conference.

These Islands getting in with it’s ‘Why Scotland is actually shit and weak despite whet you may have heard’ articles I see.

Imagine having to sit there and try and spin the fact that death rates are low as a negative. Wonder if it actually depresses them a bit or if they’re in such a zoomer mentality they’re just in a constant state of fury.

The app bungling in England was being presented in May/June as another example of Sturgeon wisely not making the mistakes of her counterparts: it's now August and neither country has got a functioning system. Many countries produced one in the spring: I've even got a fucking obscure Czech hiking route app that asks whether you want to share your location data to help the health authorities. We have bar staff collecting bits of paper or a sheet on a table somewhere instead. This is not the best use of the technology that exists all around us and it is mind-boggling that using a compulsory tracing app wasn't made part of the reopening agenda.
You make out that we are delaying or haven't been able to launch an app but I have seen nothing to suggest we are even looking at one. I think in a country our size traditional track and trace is sufficient especially given the eye watering costs if you take England as an example.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

These Islands getting in with it’s ‘Why Scotland is actually shit and weak despite whet you may have heard’ articles I see.

Imagine having to sit there and try and spin the fact that death rates are low as a negative. Wonder if it actually depresses them a bit or if they’re in such a zoomer mentality they’re just in a constant state of fury.

It might be best to wait until the PHE figures review is completed before triumphantly declaring just how excellent Scotland's death rate is in comparison to the UK.

It's clear they have been utter nonsense for some time now. Still using them as a comparison is folly.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, virginton said:
The app bungling in England was being presented in May/June as another example of Sturgeon wisely not making the mistakes of her counterparts: it's now August and neither country has got a functioning system. Many countries produced one in the spring: I've even got a fucking obscure Czech hiking route app that asks whether you want to share your location data to help the health authorities. We have bar staff collecting bits of paper or a sheet on a table somewhere instead. This is not the best use of the technology that exists all around us and it is mind-boggling that using a compulsory tracing app wasn't made part of the reopening agenda.

You make out that we are delaying or haven't been able to launch an app but I have seen nothing to suggest we are even looking at one. I think in a country our size traditional track and trace is sufficient especially given the eye watering costs if you take England as an example.

22 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

There is some emphasise on a few universities like De La Salle more or less for the elite, but that's where it ends.

It's a real sorry state of affairs that's not just unique to The Philippines. Had dealings with several schools when I lived there and everyone was shit, but visited a school in Mindanao and words could never describe it.

Than again, words can hardly describe Mindanao.

I guess most of the CoVid-19 issues are in Metro Manila/Calabarzon?

The two hotspots are Metro Manilla and Cebu - not surprisingly.  Where I am in Iloilo it's not great but under control at the moment.

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I don't think concerns that some people will cheat (and some always will) are a good reason to continue to funnel kids towards a hugely stressful event that doesn't really tell us anything we need to know. I've got an A from Higher Modern studies. I remember nothing about it, and the memory test it involved has been of no real benefit to me apart from helping me get into uni. It doesn't seem a useful way to do things.

Funnily enough Modern Studies was probably the subject I got most out of at school. It improved my writing far more than English did and critical thinking more than any other subject. But I did find it interesting and had an utterly phenomenal teacher, which made a difference.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Where the 'skills for a modern job' analogy falls down though is that there are no rational economic incentives for you to either pay someone else to essentially do your assigned tasks for you or for your supervisor to wave through nonsense work to try and bump up their own or department's performance scores (well okay fewer incentives: see the corporate banking sector). 

Education is to a broad degree a high input/high reward process that encourages all sorts of gaming the system to get the right outcome rather than doing the job properly and that problem is only getting worse as people view university itself as little more than a get richer quick jobs factory.

Mark Fisher (RIP) wrote a lot about this and the bureaucratisation/ marketisation of education. I know a lot of people in academia and schools that feel the same as him (and you).

NS putting a stop to the Aberdeen game this weekend. Not even two weeks into the season and Scottish football is proving itself to be absolutely tin-pot. The only country that can fck up games that are already being played behind closed doors 🙄

Edited by Thereisalight..

NS putting a stop to the Aberdeen game this weekend. Not even two weeks into the season and Scottish football is proving itself to be absolutely tin-pot. The only country that can fck up games that are already being played behind closed doors [emoji849]
You cannot stop what people do once they leave the training ground or match day bubble. A family member may have passed it, someone in a cafe or restaurant. Only really successful way it to play it on a secure large location with facilities for all players. Will never happen so we deal with it as it is.

4 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I was defending an approach that seemed sensible to me - you seem to see everything within the prism of constitutional politics. that is indeed laughable.  

Interesting that you've replied to this. Hit a raw nerve?

It was obvious from your reply anyway, but it's good to know for definite that you fall under that banner.

2 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
NS putting a stop to the Aberdeen game this weekend. Not even two weeks into the season and Scottish football is proving itself to be absolutely tin-pot. The only country that can fck up games that are already being played behind closed doors emoji849.png

You cannot stop what people do once they leave the training ground or match day bubble. A family member may have passed it, someone in a cafe or restaurant. Only really successful way it to play it on a secure large location with facilities for all players. Will never happen so we deal with it as it is.

It hasn't been a problem in any other league as far as I know. It's just so typically Scottish. Diddies.

NS putting a stop to the Aberdeen game this weekend. Not even two weeks into the season and Scottish football is proving itself to be absolutely tin-pot. The only country that can fck up games that are already being played behind closed doors [emoji849]
WTF, bar the leagues that could afford to play in bio secure conditions there have been plenty postponements due to players testing positive, it's more inevitable than tin pot !!!

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
NS putting a stop to the Aberdeen game this weekend. Not even two weeks into the season and Scottish football is proving itself to be absolutely tin-pot. The only country that can fck up games that are already being played behind closed doors emoji849.png

But IF the players did indeed contract it in a pub, doesn't that suggest some degree of self-inflicted damage?

That said,  these sort of problems are likely to crop up.