Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

This.

Various PTs asked if there would be further adjustments to estimates - average estimates we gave were not be more than any average in the previous 5 years - but SQA did not respond to these queries at all.

It does not take a genius to check if there is grade inflation - all the estimates were submitted electronically - why does it seem that some LAs did do things by the book and others did not?

It's the fault of LAs but also the fault of SQA - they really should have sent back adjustment guidance to LAs.

Its not really surprising though, it's always been the case that some places game the system while others do it by the book. 

I remember hearing of schools where kids were failing nat 4 but miraculously passed after spending the afternoon with the PT. The issue is that the sqa should be aware of this, and have had measures in place to deal with it, rather than just shrugging the shoulders and making the results fit their model without any deeper look at individual pupils.

We all know that prelims aren't a perfect measure, but you have kids hitting 80% As in the prelim waking up to Cs yesterday because they live in a scheme. That's not right. At least the prelim is an exam. 

Also, when it comes down to it, the appeals will be handled by teachers, whose judgement in the first place wasn't acceptable. 

Edited by madwullie

Just now, Stellaboz said:

What am I missing here, at what point does their address come into their downgrading?

Kids have been awarded grades based on their school historical average without looking at their individual cases. This means that kids in shit areas have been downgraded more than those in posh areas. 

4 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

The story about the girl from Motherwell getting 5 prelim A's and being awarded 2 A's and 3 B's seems incredibly harsh, and no doubt would never happen to a pupil from a posh school. Hopefully her results are reversed upon appeal. The BBC article will probably make it a formality

It inarguably wouldn't have happened if she'd went to the posh motherwell school. Her predicted grades would have been waved through without a second glance because that's the highest performing school (or was) in North Lanarkshire. 

Edited by madwullie

not sure if this is veriifed but you have to wonder at the mentality of people who hear that all pubs are going to be closed due to potential transmission of a virus so they pile into the nearest boozer.

My pal was in the boozer next to his work when the pubs shut in March after finishing work. He told me within 20 minutes of the announcement that bars etc were closed the place was heaving.

Unfortunately people are morons.

Just now, madwullie said:

It inarguably wouldn't have happened if she'd went to the posh motherwell school. Her predicted grades would have been waved through without a second glance. 

Except that the pass rates of schools in the top quintile of the SIMD were also downgraded by about 10 per cent and the bands will have been smacked down accordingly so no, you're actually talking nonsense.

This is where actually being able to read and interpret that basic table would have helped you out. 

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

My pal was in the boozer next to his work when the pubs shut in March after finishing work. He told me within 20 minutes of the announcement that bars etc were closed the place was heaving.

Unfortunately people are morons.

FB_IMG_1584714899977.thumb.jpg.2afe9e2e9b84c4f317a8f62a989b8d48.jpg.c45064440c45cea6b408de0f12c39913.jpg

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that the pass rates of schools in the top quintile of the SIMD were also downgraded by about 10 per cent and the bands will have been smacked down accordingly so no, you're actually talking nonsense.

This is where actually being able to read and interpret that basic table would have helped you out. 

Are you still talking? She'd have been top 10 in her class so her grades wouldn't have moved. At braidhurst entire classes have been downgraded. Not so at Dalziel. 

Edited by madwullie

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Kids have been awarded grades based on their school historical average without looking at their individual cases. This means that kids in shit areas have been downgraded more than those in posh areas. 

So kids are in fact being downgraded on the basis of the shite historical performance of the school that they went to and not just for living in a shit area like you falsely claim above. 

FB_IMG_1584714899977.thumb.jpg.2afe9e2e9b84c4f317a8f62a989b8d48.jpg.c45064440c45cea6b408de0f12c39913.jpg

A few local pubs in Perth took to doing deliveries of drink to people’s homes for a period but stopped quite quickly. Think they realised very few were interested in a stale pint in a plastic tumbler

Just now, virginton said:

So kids are in fact being downgraded on the basis of the shite historical performance of the school that they went to and not just for living in a shit area like you falsely claim above. 

Sorry what did I say that was wrong? Shite area = shite historical average. I thought we all understood that

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Are you still talking? She'd have been top 10 in her class so her grades wouldn't have moved. At braidhurst entire classes have been downgraded. Not so at Dalziel. 

If Braidhurst's prior performance was piss-poor but they submitted nonsense grade predictions then they absolutely should be smacked down more than a school with a proven track record of delivering good results because that's where the bulk of the missing failures and lower grade passes are likely to be found. That's simply using the evidence that you've got to reach a logical conclusion, as opposed to the special case pleading of folk who think that good prelim results made them a shoo-in for straight A passes over the entire course (which wouldn't happen in any other year either).

I remember at the height of lockdown @JTS98 getting on his high horse about people in the UK following the rules set by the UK Government. His argument pretty much being that we should be adhering to the much stricter rules which were in place wherever the f**k it is he lives - I think Malaysia.

People going out for a walk or a run locally were scum, despite being told by authorities here that these were things perfectly acceptable. Don’t they know they should all have been following the standards set in a country in the far east! 

I think on that basis his remarks on this can be safely filed in the bin. Although worryingly there were actually quite a few people on here agreeing with him at the time.

I made it out of Aberdeen before the lockdown - phew.

I was up there with work and yesterday ate out twice. At lunch I waited in a socially distanced queue into the restaurant in Turriff which had taken half the tables and chairs out and only half of those left were occupied. My name and telephone number were taken. All staff wore masks and were constantly cleaning. The bill was a surprise as I'd forgotten the 50% off. All in all, a pleasant experience.

Dinner was in an Indian Restaurant in Westhill. When I went in, there were 4 couples evenly spaced around the edge of the room so I got a table in a corner at a safe distance. Nobody took my contact details and only 1 waiter wore a mask - pulled down over his chin. No gloves either. After I ordered, groups of workmen started to arrive and all sat at tables close together in the middle of the room. By the time they numbered over a dozen, the restaurant was getting quite full. Added to which one woman at a table not far away had been coughing persistently and not covering her mouth.

I had my starter but asked for my main course to go as a takeaway and paid the bill - no discount applied.

If that restaurant is typical, it's no surprise they've had an outbreak