Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

not sure if this is veriifed but you have to wonder at the mentality of people who hear that all pubs are going to be closed due to potential transmission of a virus so they pile into the nearest boozer.

The government were essentially complicit in this the first time around. Flagging the day and time pubs would be closing days in advance with a bit of a nod and a wink.

In other news, Mystic Leitch has some competition

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

The government were essentially complicit in this the first time around. Flagging the day and time pubs would be closing days in advance with a bit of a nod and a wink.

In other news, Mystic Leitch has some competition

That's an awkward one for all the folk screaming for Pennington to take over from the current lead scientists

It’s a shitshow and was always going to cause these issues.

The only alternative was delaying exams, which would have had its own challenges.
For National 5 they perhaps could have made more effort to get coursework marked.

Higher is different because the deadline for submission was not until after the Easter holidays - not to mention that some subjects only received their assignment tasks in mid-March.

You have to ask why there was not the same quality assurance process to check estimates across the country. If a course average grade from a school was much better than the previous year then it should have been flagged earlier.

Some pupils have had a double drop because their schools did adjust estimates but then were punished again for others over-inflated grades.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Forfar bridies are one of the biggest disappointment I've ever had. So much talk, such little enjoyment from them. 

When we played them in February I assumed a Bridie around the 35 minute mark would be lovely. Sold out. Very disappointing indeed!

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Forfar bridies are one of the biggest disappointment I've ever had. So much talk, such little enjoyment from them. 

The ones at the ground are shite but the ones from the high street are excellent. You'd think that the fan of a team that spent as much of the 2010s floundering in the seaside leagues like Dunfermline did would have picked up this crucial life lesson. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

The ones at the ground are shite but the ones from the high street are excellent. You'd think that the fan of a team that spent as much of the 2010s floundering in the seaside leagues like Dunfermline did would have picked up this crucial life lesson. 

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

This.

IIRC Forfar's matches are supplied by Saddler's, who's Bridies rank a poor third at best in Forfar. McLaren's have a wee shop just up from the ground which are excellent, but the undisputed king of the Steak Bridie in Forfar is Cameron's in Castle Street. Absolutely glorious. 

If the teachers/schools/local authorities had done their jobs correctly by providing credible grade projections then there would have been no need for the SQA to do a mass smackdown of grades at the 11th hour. But they didn't and so here we are.

It is a point I have made - some have clearly done it methodically, others less so.

It means that those who have done things by the book are in some instances having pupils not downgraded once but twice. They had 4 weeks (until the summer holidays) after estimates were submitted to do something about those cohorts who were miles out - but did nothing.

It's not as if the estimates are on paper - they are submitted electronically - some authorities should have been told to go back and amend estimates that were out of kilter - or provide a detailed commentary on why they should be accepted.

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Lived through the foot and mouth genocide and now this. 

Never mind foot and mouth and Covid, the poor b*****d has lived through the last 25 seasons watching Aberdeen..

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, 101 said:
If the staff didn't think it was safe why would they not just close, even for half an hour would help disperse the crowd back down to a manageable level.

No idea we left as it was getting silly. The staff were pretty young and were clearly harassed trying to control everything. Won't be back anytime soon, stick to eating joints.

I thought you were supposed to smoke them?

ETA: Up yours, 101 still game StillGame,Peacegif,BBC,Sitcom,JackandVictor,Comedy GIF

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It was The Rowan Tree. Was that on the list?

That used to be Martin's Bar when I was a student. It was listed in the Freshers week guide under "if you like contact sports try the following.."

I went in on a Tuesday afternoon with a mate. Five minutes after going in two old gits in the corner started fighting over dominoes and had to get chucked out.

Just had a call from the “NHS”. Not track and trace, some wee guy asking me some “Welfare Survey” questions about how Covid has affected me and the local area.

Question One - Have you or any of your family had Coronavirus?

Question Two - Is there anyone in your house over the age of 65?

Question Three - Have you been furloughed or had loss of earnings?

Question Four - Do you have life insurance......

And that’s when I tried to engage with the guy on the phone, asking why he needed to know that. Told me it was “standard NHS questions” then he asked which company my life insurance was with. Told him very politely to go away.

Certainly makes a change from the people phoning telling me I’ve been in a car accident.

56 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

So are we saying here that nobody knows whether these cases are local transmissions or imported?

I mean, no fucking about, that's quite important.

Just said on the radio that NS says community transmission can't be ruled out

Why did they ask teachers to rank students at all if they didn't think it was something worth using? If the SQA isn't well enough staffed and resourced to do this properly then it should have been outsourced to people who could. This is not an ordinary year so they should not necessarily expect it to run in an ordinary way. They could also have opened up their methodology to scrutiny much earlier so that any obvious issues were ironed out, rather than adopting a veil of secrecy and being obstructive to anyone who wanted to find out more.

These sorts of issues with the system haven't just come to light yesterday, lots of people in education and several MSPs have been attempting to raise it pretty much since April and have been met by indifference or obfuscation. As much as garbage in, garbage out is true, it's also true that garbage in the middle is unhelpful.

This. 

Various PTs in our school asked if there would be further adjustments to estimates - average estimates we gave were not be more than any average in the previous 5 years - but SQA did not respond to these queries at all.

It does not take a genius to check if there is grade inflation - all the estimates were submitted electronically - why does it seem that some LAs did do things by the book and others did not?

It's the fault of LAs but also the fault of SQA - they really should have sent back adjustment guidance to LAs.