Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Why did they ask teachers to rank students at all if they didn't think it was something worth using?

Presumably because they expected that relatively well-educated teachers as well as senior management would grasp that their predictions had to be aligned to the historical precedent for their school's performance rather than wishful thinking based on how great their students' completed coursework was. Given that some schools did in fact do this, it seems that there were also instructions given to that effect. Obviously though that degree of trust proved to be just too much to place on the minds of the 'professionals' in the Scottish schools system, as at least a large minority of them submitted complete and utter nonsense instead: hence the near 20 fucking per cent disparity between predicted and prior performance on a nationwide basis. Why should the teachers' predictions of band 1 As for certain students retain credibility then when their overall, nonsense claim that 85% of them would get a Higher pass is getting chucked in the bin?

At that point, I don't see there being any other recourse other than to treat everything that teachers provided with a shovel of road salt and hammer down grades accordingly. 

If the SQA isn't well enough staffed and resourced to do this properly then it should have been outsourced to people who could. This is not an ordinary year so they should not necessarily expect it to run in an ordinary way. They could also have opened up their methodology to scrutiny much earlier so that any obvious issues were ironed out, rather than adopting a veil of secrecy and being obstructive to anyone who wanted to find out more. These sorts of issues with the system haven't just come to light yesterday, lots of people in education and several MSPs have been attempting to raise it pretty much since April and have been met by indifference or obfuscation. As much as garbage in, garbage out is true, it's also true that garbage in the middle is unhelpful.

The task was in fact outsourced to teachers, school heads and local authorities to provide a realistic assessment of student performance but those qualified professionals produced a stack of utterly misleading shite instead. I would certainly hope that if the SQA had their time over again they would want to do things entirely differently but when the shit actually hit the fan when predicted grades were received I'm not sure what you then wanted them to do about it before having to confirm awards in early August. There is no bespoke option available for assessing the entire country's students without either an exam nor credible evidence from the schools in that turnaround time. 

Im surprised only Aberdeen has had an outbreak. There was a huge amount of complacency in Aberdeen but I gather that was the same elsewhere in the country? I have pals elsewhere saying its almost normal day to day life. Fingers crossed this is just a short lived spike that can be nipped in the bud pronto

There were (and still are) only a small handful of active cases in the country, so even if folk are failing to behave themselves in pubs or elsewhere there's still a pretty low chance of getting it. Aberdeen likely just got unlucky.

24 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

That's the things with those figures, they include cases where covid is added to the desth certificate even when no test has been done.

Its become a reasonably common thing to be added to a death certificate.

Anecdotally I know of one case where someone died of an MI six weeks after having Covid yet covid was put on the certificate.  Covid is an easy thing to pop down on the certificate as it doesn't take much explanation.

How can they put Covid on the death certificate if they haven't had a positive test?

I've heard of one or two old people who died after a fall, but covid was on the death certificate, how can this happen?

Just now, Musketeer Gripweed said:

How can they put Covid on the death certificate if they haven't had a positive test?

I've heard of one or two old people who died after a fall, but covid was on the death certificate, how can this happen?

It's called being part of the agenda. Absolutly corrupt but it plays to the narrative 

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Doctors are allowed to use their professional judgement. If they suspect flu they don't need a positive flu test to put that on the death cert. Likewise covid. Otherwise at the height of this we'd have been wasting money and time testing corpses to make sure we were 100% on what they died ot

Edited by madwullie

Just now, Musketeer Gripweed said:

You can put it on if you suspect it was a factor, even without a test.

You don't need to explain why you felt it was a factor.

I've no idea why anyone would do this, but I too know of at least one instance.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

It's called being part of the agenda. Absolutly corrupt but it plays to the narrative 

You mean the Government's trying to show themselves being less effective than they actually are at controlling the virus? How sneaky, but why?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You mean the Government's trying to show themselves being less effective than they actually are at controlling the virus? How sneaky, but why?

I hope this isn't the reason, but by pushing up the number of Covid deaths on ONS or NRS stats, they could hide the true number of unrelated deaths caused by their misguided lockdown strategy.

I have no idea what an individual doctor would have to gain from this, but I can see how it would help the government.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Because it allows them to turn us into biddable drones, wearing muzzles, population control you see. Longterm it means we're so scared from the media frenzy and over-reported deaths (I know someone whose parachute failed to open and covid was on the death cert!) that we'll happily self-inject Bill Gates' mind-bending vaccine, that'll kill 20% of us, shrinking global population and allowing governments to further limit our freedoms. 

That's about right @Thereisalight..

The pandemic hasn't crashed any economy. Had it ravaged the world and confined everyone to their sick bed or the grave then you could make a very reasonable case for this scenario.
The global reaction to the pandemic is 100% the cause of the financial crash.

Sure. Hitler didn’t cause WW2, it was the global reaction that did it.

There is surely no argument to be had at all though that the symptoms for the overwhelming majority of people are mild to the point where it barely registers as much more than a moderate inconvenience.

This is true but we tried just letting things run in February and March. It ended dreadfully. Survival of the fittest isn’t an effective strategy.

It’s absolutely bewildering that we’re still having these debates. This isn’t February.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I hope this isn't the reason, but by pushing up the number of Covid deaths on ONS or NRS stats, they could hide the true number of unrelated deaths caused by their misguided lockdown strategy

You're suggesting the government is asking doctors to lie on DCs as part of a national cover up, and doctors are happily doing this because? 

Just now, madwullie said:

You're suggesting the government is asking doctors to lie on DCs as part of a national cover up, and doctors are happily doing this because? 

I edited my post just there to add a bit in about that.

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Morally wrong then as I suspected.

Unlike the usual conspiracy theorists earlier, I suspected it might have been down to budgets and Covid treatment within the NHS might have been worth more to health boards. Glad I was wrong then.

That's the theory in the US when they have this discussion. Apparently a covid death is worth more to a hospital there. 

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

It’s absolutely bewildering that we’re still having these debates. This isn’t February.

Correct. Which makes it all the more surprising that both WM & the SG are acting as though the way they understand the virus behaves and affects people hasn't changed since February.

Less so WM tbh.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Frantically searching through this thread for every Aberdeen supporter that was bantering about locking down the west of coast to send a personalised GIRFUY message

They weegies need a wash eh, dinny ken why they end sentences wae but like, ad lock them doon jist fur thawt like. Ad gie the lawddy Shawnklun a chawnce up front ahead eh that McBurnie eh.