Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Interesting point from NS about people moving from pub to pub on a night out.
This is an unfortunate by-product of bars operating a 2 hour time limit on booked tables, leaving no option to move elsewhere.
Not sure the best approach for tackling that, beyond binning the ability to book tables.

I haven't encountered a 2hr limit anywhere and the queues outside venues that sparked fears of this in Aberdeen at the weekend suggests they were not operating that policy either. Clubs being shut and SD restrictions reducing capacity is driving massive demand on pubs that normally wouldn't see it. I went out Fri to watch Galway races in a local racing type pub. By 9.00 it was packed with a young crowd that would never be near such a place as there is so few places they can go (apparently other pubs in the town were already full, it was last resort stuff).

Fair enough. I've not been out too much, but, apart from Wetherspoons, the places I have been required booking & time slots.

In fairness I deliberately choose those places so that I knew i'd have a place to go.

Fair enough. I've not been out too much, but, apart from Wetherspoons, the places I have been required booking & time slots.
In fairness I deliberately choose those places so that I knew i'd have a place to go.
Fri was my first non food venture and I was unpleasantly surprised. Pubs busy with full beer gardens rain came on about 8.30 and in piled all the beer garden crowd. Only ladies working with no door staff on and to a man and women every one coming in from the gardens when told they couldn't as it was at capacity inside told the staff to GTF. They were powerless to do anything about it. We left just after as it was crazy stuff by 9.00.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fri was my first non food venture and I was unpleasantly surprised. Pubs busy with full beer gardens rain came on about 8.30 and in piled all the beer garden crowd. Only ladies working with no door staff on and to a man and women every one coming in from the gardens when told they couldn't as it was at capacity inside told the staff to GTF. They were powerless to do anything about it. We left just after as it was crazy stuff by 9.00.

If the staff didn't think it was safe why would they not just close, even for half an hour would help disperse the crowd back down to a manageable level.

If the staff didn't think it was safe why would they not just close, even for half an hour would help disperse the crowd back down to a manageable level.

I think this needs to be encouraged. If it’s getting overcrowded close the bar for an hour and ask people to leave.

Just now, mizfit said:

I think this needs to be encouraged. If it’s getting overcrowded close the bar for an hour and ask people to leave.

Just basic common sense - could also refuse to serve those who have come in against the staffs wishes but that is a bit harder if its loads of folk.

Whilst obviously shite for those impacted, in the long run we probably need a number of little outbreaks to happen and pass without much incident.

After 5 months of being told it's going to be like the apocalypse I can't see any other way we are going to get people to lose the sense of fear that it's going to kill everyone.

The locking down of entire cities and regions for relatively localised clusters will only work with the public's full co-operation for a very, very finite amount of incidents.

I've said it since the initial laws passed giving local authorities the ability to do so, that this is not something that is at all sustainable as anything other than a stopgap plan.

Think we need to know what the actual long-term plan is here for both the UK and Scottish government in dealing with these clusters as the current strategy of 'if there's a cluster, we'll shut the area down until it goes away again' isn't going to fly as a viable solution. Particularly when it affects people's ability to provide, further displaces families who have already gone through 4 months of not seeing relatives and there is no guarantees of a vaccine, much less a finite timescale on one. 

I wouldn't like to be the one communicating that a town is locking down again for the 3rd or 4th time in 9 months due to another 40-50 person cluster. People will most certainly start to push back.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

The locking down of entire cities and regions for relatively localised clusters will only work with the public's full co-operation for a very, very finite amount of incidents.

I've said it since the initial laws passed giving local authorities the ability to do so, that this is not something that is at all sustainable as anything other than a stopgap plan.

Think we need to know what the actual long-term plan is here for both the UK and Scottish government in dealing with these clusters as the current strategy of 'if there's a cluster, we'll shut the area down until it goes away again' isn't going to fly as a viable solution. Particularly when it affects people's ability to provide, further displaces families who have already gone through 4 months of not seeing relatives and there is no guarantees of a vaccine, much less a finite timescale on one. 

I wouldn't like to be the one communicating that a town is locking down again for the 3rd or 4th time in 9 months due to another 40-50 person cluster. People will most certainly start to push back.

See above

Just basic common sense - could also refuse to serve those who have come in against the staffs wishes but that is a bit harder if its loads of folk.

I was in a pub on Saturday and 30 guys came in at once. Shouting, swearing and obviously on drugs. Bar staff didn’t even try and control them. We left almost immediately and went somewhere quieter.

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

If the teachers/schools/local authorities had done their jobs correctly by providing credible grade projections then there would have been no need for the SQA to do a mass smackdown of grades at the 11th hour. But they didn't and so here we are.

The SQA would have followed their back of a napkin methodology regardless of how teachers predicted the grades. Fewer grades may have been changed, but that doesn't detract from the original point that the teachers giving good grades to other students shouldn't have any impact on the grades of the very best students given that all students were ranked in order anyway.

Just now, mizfit said:

I was in a pub on Saturday and 30 guys came in at once. Shouting, swearing and obviously on drugs. Bar staff didn’t even try and control them. We left almost immediately and went somewhere quieter.

Sounds awful - why didn't the bar staff just phone the polis and get them huckled/ chased off? If it was me i'd serve them for a quiet life before phoning for help to get rid.

Although my main address is in Aberdeen, I've not been there for three weeks (ie pre-outbreak) other than passing through the heliport en route to a bumpkin town last night where I was planning on staying for at least a week anyway. 

Am I to f*** off home to Aberdeen and lock myself in my house for 23hrs a day at a time when people are being advised to avoid Aberdeen? 

Sounds awful - why didn't the bar staff just phone the polis and get them huckled/ chased off? If it was me i'd serve them for a quiet life before phoning for help to get rid.

I think they got chased fairly soon after, we seen them attempting to go into another pub in the same large group later on and got promptly telt by a bouncer to f**k off.