Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

40 days ?

2 weeks easter, 2 weeks October, 2 weeks xmas and 5 weeks in summer?

Anyway no point me going on. Just accept it and deal with what is going to happen.

It's down for the councils to decide when the holiday allocation is, but generally it's a week in October, two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, and three weeks in the summer.

Not all the long summer 'holiday' is a 'holiday'. Only three weeks is. The rest is unpaid leave.

I think it depends on your headteacher. I've been fortunate that our in-service days are pretty good - a couple of hours in the morning going over the legally required stuff like child protection, a couple of hours of faculty time and then the rest of the time to let us get our classrooms / resources organised.

Might be the difference between primary and secondary, and I’ve only ever had the odd hour here and there to do stuff in my room or planning. Never get time for reports in the spring either, that usually always has to be done afterwards so it seems to be all the admin work I’ve had is done out of hours. I should add that’s been with 3 different headteachers in my career as well.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

It's down for the councils to decide when the holiday allocation is, but generally it's a week in October, two weeks at Christmas, two weeks at Easter, and three weeks in the summer.

Not all the long summer 'holiday' is a 'holiday'. Only three weeks is. The rest is unpaid leave.

Maybe Dundee but have always had two weeks off in October as without fail I have always needed to take a holiday for one of them ( this is usually when holiday prices are dear) 

Unpaid leave? Didn't realise this. 

Every day a school day.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Maybe Dundee but have always had two weeks off in October as without fail I have always needed to take a holiday for one of them ( this is usually when holiday prices are dear) 

Unpaid leave? Didn't realise this. 

Every day a school day.

Yeah, it's a common myth that teachers get 13 weeks holiday a year.

We get eight, with five weeks unpaid leave. Of course our wage gets spread over the 12 months so there aren't gaps.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yeah, it's a common myth that teachers get 13 weeks holiday a year.

We get eight, with five weeks unpaid leave. Of course our wage gets spread over the 12 months so there aren't gaps.

I just copied and pasted this to my friend who is a computing teacher and he didn't know this haha 

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

I just copied and pasted this to my friend who is a computing teacher and he didn't know this haha 

This makes me a sad panda.

Never understood folk who don't take a bit of time to understand the terms and conditions of the job they do. No wonder there isn't a shortage of employers who treat their employees like shite.

The 'unpaid leave' thing came up much earlier in the thread when I had mentioned that I would be more than happy to provide extra classes for pupils providing I was getting paid with it.

This didn't go well with the brown-nosers on the site.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This makes me a sad panda.

Never understood folk who don't take a bit of time to understand the terms and conditions of the job they do. No wonder there isn't a shortage of employers who treat their employees like shite.

I was pretty hardcore when it came to the T&Cs (only one that knew and encouraged people to take (and made sure I took) a day for moving house etc) but even I didn't know the unpaid leave bit. I'd be amazed if many outwith Union reps did - and even some of them will be clueless 

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The 'unpaid leave' thing came up much earlier in the thread when I had mentioned that I would be more than happy to provide extra classes for pupils providing I was getting paid with it.

This didn't go well with the brown-nosers on the site.

Said Computing teacher was meant to help in a hub. Within first week it got cancelled and he didn't need to do a thing regarding that . Then when it comes to making up homework etc he seemed to be bored off his tits throughout this as very little were doing the homework.

Going back to teaching in the school however he is shitting it. 

Selfish point of you I want my kids back to school , in a safe environment. 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

4000 Scots died whilst shielding. Makes you wonder if it was worth spending their last few weeks/months couped up in the house 

Shielding was entirely voluntary. Iirc it said on the letter it is up to you if you did it or not. 

You're implying it was a waste of time but there is no way at all to know that, especially 3 months ago when the virus was much more present. 

9 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

4000 Scots died whilst shielding. Makes you wonder if it was worth spending their last few weeks/months couped up in the house 

How many of those people died before their time, and how many died before their time of /with covid while having underlying health conditions? It's a meaningless stat without context 

Edited by madwullie

15 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

5,172 people who were advised to shield have died.

This number is greater than both the official death toll of 2,491 and the NRS total of 4,201

There is no data on how many of those 5,172 are part of either of those two totals.

It is, I guess, a fair question to ask whether those people would have preferred to spend their last months with their families and friends rather than completely isolated in order to (ironically) prevent them dying.

5,172 people who were advised to shield have died.
This number is greater than both the official death toll of 2,491 and the NRS total of 4,201
There is no data on how many of those 5,172 are part of either of those two totals.
It is, I guess, a fair question to ask whether those people would have preferred to spend their last months with their families and friends rather than completely isolated in order to (ironically) prevent them dying.
You could also say that it was maybe better for them to pass away at home than in a covid ward with no visitors, masks, ventilators and frazzled staff.....

Societies oldest and illest are going to suffer deaths over any given time period. Unsire why this is being discussed.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Societies oldest and illest are going to suffer deaths over any given time period.

Finally some sense.

Given the NHS is now at absolutely no risk of being overrun, why are we continuing to disproportionately restrict people to protect the very people that you clearly understand are likely to die in the short term anyway?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Finally some sense.
Given the NHS is now at absolutely no risk of being overrun, why are we continuing to disproportionately restrict people to protect the very people that you clearly understand are likely to die in the short term anyway?
That's not really what I was getting at. I just dont tgink theres any value or capital in the stat that people died under shielding. Of course they did. It's not relevant though.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Dying at home and struggling to breathe with nothing to knock me out, doesn't appeal. 

Dying at home without having been allowed to have any direct contact with your family for four months prior surely doesn't really appeal either?