Coronavirus (COVID-19)

54 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fucking hell, how many times do I need to say it? The Swedish model was a balanced, sensible approach, and it appears to have worked.

For a multi generational household it's obviously harder, as you'd need to be very anal about distancing as much as possible as often as possible, but them existing is not a sound reason for a blanket policy on absolutely everyone.

Noone is advocating a blanket draconian policy though. The options seem to be vulnerable become hermits and everyone else gets on with life as it was before, or society makes some changes (masks, distancing, being careful) and everyone is able to live in this society. Of course, a vaccine could change all of that if we could get enough take up. I suppose if it comes down to everyone gets the jag and we can go back to normal, or only some do and measures have to remain in place, even mad anti-vaxxers like @Thereisalightmight change their mind if it means transmt 2021 can go ahead. 

Given the much covered damage to mental health that is caused by forcing people to stay in at all costs, I'm surprised to see that being the method you propose. Also, you weren't bigging up the Swedish method when they were looking like a shit-house in the graphs and their citizens were banned by everyone else from leaving their borders, so it's a bit disingenuous to be advocating their method now, just when things are looking better. There is still plenty of twists and turns to come, and as we've seen throughout, what might look like the best approach now, could quite easily be shown to be a shiter in 3 months time. 

Edited by madwullie

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Gaz said:
Love this thought that the Tories are going to tell over-65s to stay in the hoose while everyone else is out having fun.
Not going to happen.

It's over 50s if the rumours today are to be believed. Utter lunacy.

I'm over 50 and I'll be doing what I see fit, I'll certainly not be listening to those in power, they've shown no more of a grasp of the situation than most people with no science to formulate an opinion. 

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I'm over 50 and I'll be doing what I see fit, I'll certainly not be listening to those in power, they've shown no more of a grasp of the situation than most people with no science to formulate an opinion. 

More cheery news regarding kids and the virus 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/07/31/new-evidence-suggests-young-children-spread-covid-19-more-efficiently-than-adults/?fbclid=IwAR2-BfSgyEYQmZX90XflCSLfNapcg5jEc6gO9UCR-V3JlvqsxKyxD99QUkM#52a063f19fdc

Edit: no idea why I quoted you mate and can't seem to delete the quote on my phone. 

Edited by madwullie

24 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Noone is advocating a blanket draconian policy though. The options seem to be vulnerable become hermits and everyone else gets on with life as it was before, or society makes some changes (masks, distancing, being careful) and everyone is able to live in this society. Of course, a vaccine could change all of that if we could get enough take up. I suppose if it v one's down to everyone gets the jag and we can go back to normal, or only some do and measures have to remain in place, even mad anti-vaxxers like @Thereisalight@Thereisalight might change their mind if it means transmt 2021 can go ahead. 

Given the much covered damage to mental health that is caused by forcing people to stay in at all costs, I'm surprised to see that being the method you propose. Also, you weren't bigging up the Swedish method when they were looking like a shit-house in the graphs and their citizens were banned by everyone else from leaving their borders, so it's a bit disingenuous to be advocating their method now, just when things are looking better. There is still plenty of twists and turns to come, and as we've seen throughout, what might look like the best approach now, could quite easily be shown to be a shiter in 3 months time. 

That's not what i'm saying. Masks, distancing where possible, hygiene etc is fine whilst we achieve natural slowing of the spread / elimination. People should be able to go to gyms etc too (albeit with additional measures) and maybe even live events (but with masks and 2m distancing at first). Over 65s should be strongly advised to avoid certain locations (indoor events and any 1m distancing zones) at first, but if hospital admissions etc rise to uncomfortable levels then they should be ordered to shield.

Even for the low risk group, Sweden asked them to change their habits, and visit restaurants and bars less frequently than in normal circumstances.

I don't think any of that is unreasonable, especially so in Scotland with our numbers, and I think all but the most out of touch would be happy.

Not sure if you have me mixed up with someone else but my support for the Swedish model has been consistent. Even to the point of highlighting how similar their "shit house" graphs almost exactly mirrored ours.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

No problem. 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

That's not what i'm saying. Masks, distancing where possible, hygiene etc is fine whilst we achieve natural slowing of the spread. People should be able to go to gyms etc too (albeit with additional measures) and maybe even live events (but with masks and 2m distancing at first). Over 65s should be strongly advised to avoid certain locations (indoor events and any 1m distancing zones) at first, but if hospital admissions etc rise to uncomfortable levels then they should be ordered to shield.

Even for the low risk group, Sweden asked them to change their habits, and visit restaurants and bars less frequently than in normal circumstances.

I don't think any of that is unreasonable, especially so in Scotland with our numbers.

Not sure if you have me mixed up with someone else but my support for the Swedish model has been consistent. Even to the point of highlighting how similar their "shit house" graphs almost exactly mirrored ours.

People are talking about life just going back to normal and over 50s staying in the house in perpetuity. If that's not you, I apologise. 

They don't need to stay in if everyone remains as careful as they mainly seem to be just now. For me personally, it's preferable that everyone is able to get out and about as much as possible, even if that means SD measures etc need to be in place for the foreseeable future, it's far superior imo to shutting a large proportion of the population away just so the rest of us can get our rocks off. 

And there's still the caveat that long term effects of this virus are being reported every week, even amongst those who had very mild symptoms. Maybe not so much here, but def in the US where it has a much greater hold. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fucking hell, how many times do I need to say it? The Swedish model was a balanced, sensible approach, and it appears to have worked.

In what sense?

People have been asked to work from home where possible, avoid unnecessary travel, and socially distance.

The government also banned gatherings of more than 50 people, banned visits to nursing homes, and closed secondary schools and universities. 

Sweden's death toll, currently 5,702, has been high in comparison to neighbouring countries of a similar size.

None of Denmark, Norway, or Finland, each with a population roughly half that of Sweden, have seen their tolls rise above 1,000.

Many of the European countries that have begun to reopen their borders to foreign visitors are still yet to allow entry to people travelling from Sweden.

The country's healthcare system also initially struggled to cope with the impact of the virus, with 45 people at one point being admitted to intensive care every day.

Research from Scandinavian bank SEB in April suggested Swedes were spending at a higher rate than consumers in neighbouring Nordic nations.

Despite this, various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year. That's less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19 such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March.

Five months into Europe's pandemic and only 6% of the population here is known to have antibodies, according to Swedish Public Health Agency research.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12258908/lockdown-free-sweden-positive-coronavirus-decline-masks-pointless/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53498133

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The thing about "the Swedish model" is it looks good compared to our half arsed f**k up, but compared against most competent governments, they don't stack up nearly as well. It was never a choice between the Swedish model and ours, it was a choice between letting it run wild and going into a proper lockdown. Our govt went for the second option and fucked it 

Also, when given the chance to self police and follow advice, a lot of roasters were coming out with shit like "until they tell me to dae it am no daen it", and the swedes relied pretty heavily on goodwill and people acting in the greater good. Its by no means certain people would have been so biddable here had we tried to do what they tried to do until BJ got so many sad faces on Facebook he had to act. 

Edited by madwullie

That's not what i'm saying. Masks, distancing where possible, hygiene etc is fine whilst we achieve natural slowing of the spread / elimination. People should be able to go to gyms etc too (albeit with additional measures) and maybe even live events (but with masks and 2m distancing at first). Over 65s should be strongly advised to avoid certain locations (indoor events and any 1m distancing zones) at first, but if hospital admissions etc rise to uncomfortable levels then they should be ordered to shield.
I don't think any of that is unreasonable, especially so in Scotland with our numbers, and I think all but the most out of touch would be happy.
Where you getting over 65s from, it's over 50 that's being widely reported this weekend which would be totally unacceptable. Even with shielding the vulnerable there is no talk of that meaning the "young team" would be able to ditch masks and SDing. It's here for the long haul until the pandemic is declared over or we have a successful vaccine. You just need to suck it up, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I want back to racing and football more than anything but I am realistic enough to realise it's a long way away from being possible without huge restrictions. It's just a matter of acceptance.

People are talking about life just going back to normal and over 50s staying in the house in perpetuity. If that's not you, I apologise. 
They don't need to stay in if everyone remains as careful as they mainly seem to be just now. For me personally, it's preferable that everyone is able to get out and about as much as possible, even if that means SD measures etc need to be in place for the foreseeable future, it's far superior imo to shutting a large proportion of the population away just so the rest of us can get our rocks off. 
And there's still the caveat that long term effects of this virus are being reported every week, even amongst those who had very mild symptoms. Maybe not so much here, but def in the US where it has a much greater hold. 
This exactly and I can't see what anyone would find unpalatable about it.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Where you getting over 65s from, it's over 50 that's being widely reported this weekend which would be totally unacceptable. Even with shielding the vulnerable there is no talk of that meaning the "young team" would be able to ditch masks and SDing. It's here for the long haul until the pandemic is declared over or we have a successful vaccine. You just need to suck it up, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I want back to racing and football more than anything but I am realistic enough to realise it's a long way away from being possible without huge restrictions. It's just a matter of acceptance.

Why do people keep saying this? Who is suggesting this?

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Ditto

The fucking level of irony in this is off the scale

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

Of course, a vaccine could change all of that if we could get enough take up. I suppose if it comes down to everyone gets the jag and we can go back to normal, or only some do and measures have to remain in place, even mad anti-vaxxers like @Thereisalightmight change their mind if it means transmt 2021 can go ahead. 

I’ve said on at least 3 occasions on here that I’m not an antivaxxer by any stretch of the imagination. 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’ve said on at least 3 occasions on here that I’m not an antivaxxer by any stretch of the imagination. 

But you think as a fit young man who's at little risk from Covid you'd rather other people took the risk of testing the vaccine. Is that about right?

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But you think as a fit young man who's at little risk from Covid you'd rather other people took the risk of testing the vaccine. Is that about right?

If folk want the vaccine that’s their choice, just the same as it’s the choice of people who don’t want to take it. As far as I’m aware nobody will have a gun put to their head and forced to get the vaccine so your “other people took the risk of testing it” quote is a bit of a fallacy 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If folk want the vaccine that’s their choice, just the same as it’s the choice of people who don’t want to take it. As far as I’m aware nobody will have a gun put to their head and forced to get the vaccine so your “other people took the risk of testing it” quote is a bit of a fallacy 

So will you take it after other people have proved it safe by voluntarily testing it, if it means you can go on holiday and stuff?