Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I had to re-read what he said but no, he did actually say there would’ve been no lockdown if this happened 10 years ago.

Mock all you like, but there wouldn't have been.

BJ, remember, initially resisted having a lockdown.

Without social media, there would have been no mass exposure to the region in Italy that had it's health service over run, in particular the video or two that went 'viral'

There would have been no mass panic from the public.

There would have been no constant pressure from the media on the PM to lockdown, seen and commented on by millions daily.

20 years ago if the PM had said there was no need to lockdown then that would have been it.

There are many things that have happened in the last few months alone that would not have happened before social media was such a thing.

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Without social media, there would have been no mass exposure to the region in Italy that had it's health service over run, in particular the video or two that went 'viral'

There would have been no constant pressure from the media on the PM to lockdown, seen and commented on by millions daily.

20 years ago if the PM had said there was no need to lockdown then that would have been it.

There are many things that have happened in the last few months alone that would not have happened before social media was such a thing.

Agreed. This is why there was no Second World War. Without the internet, we did not know that Germany had invaded Poland; there was simply no way we could have known. 

@Todd_is_God I've just had a semi decent look on the Internet to verify your 15-20% herd immunity stat, and the lowest I can find is 43% and that's with a vaccine. Even searching only within July doesn't help. Can you link to this study please 

Edit: OK. Think I've found it. Gomes at Strathclyde uni. Sub 20%,reported in the Atlantic. 

Her theory is here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/614035/

Edited by madwullie

What about Sky and the BBC running the Italy stories 24/7, hardly just social media that covered that story.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My word. Outstanding.

Thereisalight will have to go some.

Im just so glad the Internet was invented otherwise how would have people known what was going on outside their own front garden?

We managed a couple of wars with Pathe. It should never've been phased out.

6895179_orig.jpg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

9 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

I went through the Low Level about 2 hours.

There was staff and cops there telling folks to mask up or GTF. Nothing to stop you throwing the mask tae f**k once you had passed the barrier of course.

Tucker seconded to the BTP?Screenshot_20200802-082226.thumb.jpg.c8d87e8a94846d63f9f38474409d7859.jpg

Spoiler

9 hours late and weird sized text but f**k it

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Edit: OK. Think I've found it. Gomes at Strathclyde uni. Sub 20%,reported in the Atlantic. 

Her theory is here https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/614035/

She got a number but can’t explain it.  Hmmmm.

On 01/08/2020 at 08:35, Tynierose said:

The Sanam in Fawkirk isn't on the list, they can ram it.

Looks like everywhere else is though.

11 hours ago, virginton said:

If social distancing and good hygiene are the supposedly essential society-level behaviour to combatting a disease then you don't chuck 20-odd five year olds in the same room for 30 hours per week because neither of those things are going to happen.

Despite the obvious concerns and risks rightly raised about ‘x people in a room’, and also as a parent who will freely admit to feeling a bit apprehensive about sending their child back to school; I still have far more faith in the 5 year olds and school staff consciously embracing the rules, precautions and presenting less risk than I do the behaviours of the general population.

We’ll all have seen the mass gatherings and arsehole behaviours on the beaches at Portobello, Bournemouth etc, but the amount of instances I’ve seen on my work travels this week of smaller numbers of folk openly and shamelessly flouting the rules and taking risks has been staggering. On Friday, Linlithgow High Street was a real eye opener and prime example of the moronic, backward behaviours and grotty, tinky attitudes of a significant portion of society in general.

10 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

To add to my post above I was on the train home last night, and the carriage was relatively full, with the majority of passengers being a large group of what I would guess were kids of around 3rd / 4th year age.

No attempt to SD, and not a single one had a mask on.

Seems to be the same in every city, town or village you go to. Da yoof DGAF.

Edited by 8MileBU

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I seem to remember all the decent telly being suspended for the news when one of Elton John's pals died in a car crash in Paris, but I can't think how major news like a potential global pandemic would have spread back then.

Yeah but we didn’t go into lockdown when Elton Johns pal died.

55 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fucking hell.

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We managed a couple of years with Pathe. It should never've been phased out.

6895179_orig.jpg

Yeah but it didn’t help to cause anything like lockdown.

(apart from restricting folks movements and rationing during the war)

What about Sky and the BBC running the Italy stories 24/7, hardly just social media that covered that story.

Sky and bbc news 24 as it was then was only available on sky and cable, it wasn’t as big as it is now although newspapers had 3 times the sales the do now so swings and roundabouts.
Honestly i think social media had alot to do with it, it was a case of china is doing X so we must also do X or we don’t care . If china hadn’t “locked down” neither would we. There might have been localised school closures or changes to hospital procedures but the public would have been urged to take extra caution whilst going about as normal. Mass hysteria has driven much of what we have seen this year