Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The Johnson government are utterly useless at communications through all of this.  Local lockdowns are a perfectly understandable thing but they will need to be communicated properly.

Also, gyms reopening in Wales on August 10th.  I bet if there's no increase in cases the SG will reopen them mid-late August.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, gyms reopening in Wales on August 10th.  I bet if there's no increase in cases the SG will reopen them mid-late August.

I don't know.

Every egg is in the schools back basket, and measuring the impact of that was declared the reason for not allowing things sooner.

It would be a humiliating U-turn to change this at the next review, and a further admission that whatever models they are basing their decisions on are flawed (each review they have been "surprised" by the progress).

Add in the fact that the SNP didn't go with the usual tactic of getting some clown like Leitch to comment so they can judge the mood, and adapt policy accordingly, I don't think moving that date (forward anyway) is on the cards.

4 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Clearly not given where I live. Doesn't change the point though.

I think it does.

The original point was that by going to the pub with a person who had coronavirus, you have the same risk of catching it from them as you did if you went to their house.

Your argument about surfaces in a house being potentially contaminated is valid, but this can be mitigated by good hygiene practices.

By being forced to go to a pub instead, you carry all the risk of going to their house, plus the additional risk of being around others.

Tomorrow will be an interesting day for pubs up here. For the first time since this all began, Scottish football will be live on TV in pubs.

I've seen a few share government guidelines about singing / shouting and that people doing so will be asked to leave.

It will be a brave barman who empties his bar when the first goal goes in.

The Eid festival is tomorrow. Not a hope in hell social distancing will happen in the majority of those places, but I think that is what Hancock is trying to prevent.

There was weeks of unsubtle dog whistles about the lockdown being a bogey when the Muslims would start gathering for their religious festivals at the same time as people were shoving on to Westminster Bridge to clap NHS workers or having conga lines to sing Two World Wars and One World Cup

I think it does.
The original point was that by going to the pub with a person who had coronavirus, you have the same risk of catching it from them as you did if you went to their house.
Your argument about surfaces in a house being potentially contaminated is valid, but this can be mitigated by good hygiene practices.
By being forced to go to a pub instead, you carry all the risk of going to their house, plus the additional risk of being around others.
Every surface, implement, glass, doorknob, piece of furniture in their house is a potential vector for the virus. In the real world people don't practice the required hygiene in their homes. Evidence emerging around the world is that second wave spread is mainly driven in workplaces and in homes. The pub/restaurant spread is a driver only where there has been untrammelled opening (hiya Florida).

The Eid festival is tomorrow. Not a hope in hell social distancing will happen in the majority of those places, but I think that is what Hancock is trying to prevent.

”most of those places” have put out strict Social distancing recommendations and regulations that will be adhered to and ignored the same most other places.

5 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

”most of those places” have put out strict Social distancing recommendations and regulations that will be adhered to and ignored the same most other places.

Other than as a good excuse to be able to air a thinly veiled racist view, where does the idea that Muslims categorically cannot social distance, unlike the absolutely impecable displays of observation by flag waving conga dancers and statue defenders, come from?

'The Science' may well have been totally shit in the beginning, but this is an utter farce.  If your mate's got coronavirus and you go to the pub with him rather than visit him at home, your chances of catching it are the same. 

My understanding is that you can go to the pub but mustn’t mix with people from another household

From BBC “The new lockdown rules, which came into force at midnight, mean people from different households will not be allowed to meet in homes or private gardens.

They also ban members of two different households from mixing in pubs and restaurants, although individual households will still be able to visit such hospitality venues”.

In terms of communication of the “strategy “ it’s yet again an absolute clusterfuck.

The Scottish Government is now advising against travel to the areas mentioned in the English guidance from last night. Seems they’ll be asking people in those areas to cancel Scottish travel if they have it booked too. Ultimately completely unenforceable of course but hard to objectively argue it isn’t the correct call.

But of course people will. Going to be some spectacular breakdowns incoming...

Scottish Govt just announced no one should travel from Scotland to N.W England for the time being.

Brilliant!! That will keep my relatives away for a while. Presumably this will work both ways, which will be better still.

:)

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My understanding is that you can go to the pub but mustn’t mix with people from another household

From BBC “The new lockdown rules, which came into force at midnight, mean people from different households will not be allowed to meet in homes or private gardens.

They also ban members of two different households from mixing in pubs and restaurants, although individual households will still be able to visit such hospitality venues”.

In terms of communication of the “strategy “ it’s yet again an absolute clusterfuck.

This wasn't clear last night, to be fair. The usual hatchet job of releasing information at stupid o'clock that needed clarification about twenty times. 

Further lockdown restrictions in England pushed back to the 14th August.

I give it 3 weeks until they close pubs and restaurants in the NW of England