Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Carlaw resigning is a bit unexpected!

He’s not been an effective opposition leader. They’ll be hoping to tempt Davidson back into the job after realising how humped they’re away to be in May at this rate.

6 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The authorities can't win - hundreds dying every day - why don't they do something?

Authorities do something - nobody dies - why have we still got restrictions?

Well no, the authorities 'can't win' when they produce a shiny 'restart plan' based on The Science, only to veer completely off that course because parents want their screaming brats back in state childcare five days a week from August 11. In the exact same way that they ran against all logic on the opposite side of the infection curve by insisting on keeping schools open until March 20, despite them being one of the most obvious vectors for community spread of the virus. This renders almost all of the remaining restrictions illogical because reopening schools poses an objectively much greater risk than opening a gym or allowing people to attend a capacity-limited outdoor event. 

17 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I’m sure the ones on here saying we wouldn’t be allowed in football stadiums until 2021 “at the earliest” are feeling a tad silly now.

There are some right drama queens on the internet now " you'll only see the old way of  life in tv and movies filmed before 2020"  Now I don't have a crystal ball but I say that's  pish,  money always finds a way.  people don't want to be restricted they don't want to be socially distant and they don't want to wear face coverings , a lot won't want to permanently work from home after the novelty wears off.  People and business want the old way of life back and with enough determination it will happen one way or another.

Also I do believe that masks might be somewhat usefull but I think that the mandatory use of them is a phycological tool - not tin foil hat stuff just a way to remind people that covid is still there otherwise it would be quite easy to forget about the virus  a lot of the time

There's still been absolutely no guidance on what happens if a pupil is in school who is then found to have the virus. If the normal practice of everyone he's been in contact with having to self-isolate that could be hundreds of people for just one case.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There's still been absolutely no guidance on what happens if a pupil is in school who is then found to have the virus. If the normal practice of everyone he's been in contact with having to self-isolate that could be hundreds of people for just one case.

i'm going to take a punt and say that parents will be informed, but kids will not be required to isolate.

By ditching the need for children to social distance weeks ago the SG appear satisfied that children are very poor spreaders of the virus, and therefore no need to isolate.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

i'm going to take a punt and say that parents will be informed, but kids will not be required to isolate.

By ditching the need for children to social distance weeks ago the SG appear satisfied that children are very poor spreaders of the virus, and therefore no need to isolate.

I think it's far more likely that the only way they could get children back into childcare was to ditch the pretence of social distancing and the decision to allow them to mingle with their friends over the summer holidays was to make that palatable to parents.

They certainly aren't following the science. This is a political decision. It's not even an educational decision.

And besides what - even if kids weren't required to self-isolate, what about the teachers / school staff / bus drivers etc. they have come into contact with?

26 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I think it's far more likely that the only way they could get children back into childcare was to ditch the pretence of social distancing and the decision to allow them to mingle with their friends over the summer holidays was to make that palatable to parents.

They certainly aren't following the science. This is a political decision. It's not even an educational decision.

Every decision is political. It's why allowing individual healthcare or science focused individuals (In Scotland's case Devi Sridhar) to heavily influence political decisions should be met with caution.