Coronavirus (COVID-19)

31 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

The authorities can't win - hundreds dying every day - why don't they do something?

Authorities do something - nobody dies - why have we still got restrictions?

And the gap between those two scenarios is tiny. Perhaps even non-existent. 

Gyms reopened in England and Northern Ireland two weeks ago, they are open all over Europe.  A representative of PureGym said that they've had more than two million people attend reopened gyms without a single transmission incident.  Pubs are now open and have been for several weeks.  I've had people viewing my house, I've had tradesmen in fixing things prior to putting my house on the market.   You can go and stay overnight with elderly relatives, you can have thirty people in your garden.

Most major commercial gyms can easily segregate people, control numbers and run booking systems.  The gym I go to already has cleaners doing circuits of the gym floor all the time.  My gym has an electronic entry system that can easily monitor everyone in the place at any one time - it records every time you go into a gym.  When I went for a haircut the guy was writing down my details in a pad of paper and checking his watch.

Feel like pure shit, just want squats back.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Gyms reopened in England and Northern Ireland two weeks ago, they are open all over Europe.  A representative of PureGym said that they've had more than two million people attend reopened gyms without a single transmission incident.  Pubs are now open and have been for several weeks.  I've had people viewing my house, I've had tradesmen in fixing things prior to putting my house on the market.   You can go and stay overnight with elderly relatives, you can have thirty people in your garden.

Most major commercial gyms can easily segregate people, control numbers and run booking systems.  The gym I go to already has cleaners doing circuits of the gym floor all the time.  My gym has an electronic entry system that can easily monitor everyone in the place at any one time - it records every time you go into a gym.  When I went for a haircut the guy was writing down my details in a pad of paper and checking his watch.

You'd think they could at least do one hour booking slots to manage numbers.

24 minutes ago, super_carson said:
26 minutes ago, Hauzen said:
Sturgeon ripping Jackson Carlaw a new one on telly... great viewing.

Love to see it, he really is a helmet.

Ooh Matron Kenneth Williams GIF - OohMatron KennethWilliams What GIFs

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Sturgeon clearly wants a country of waddling couch potatoes.

She is terrified of the Swoletariat. 

1 minute ago, David W said:

:lol: Swinney getting told off for heckling.

1400 new teachers will be spread pretty thinly across the 2400 schools in Scotland.

I also question where are these teachers going to appear from? There's been a shortage for a long time. Some authorities like Aberdeenshire and Moray just simply don't even get applications for positions at times. 

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It is absolute nonsense. A huge number of the vulnerable people who were at risk to this type of virus have sadly passed so we wouldn't get anything like the same numbers of deaths in the near future. Plus there is far more focus on protecting the vulnerable than there was 5 month ago anyway. Case numbers really aren't that important anymore - countries are testing more which gives the impression of an increase, and there are question marks over the accuracy anyway, it is ICU admissions and deaths that are crucial and all across Europe they have reduced back down to their normal level for this time of year. It is noteworthy that as deaths and ICU admissions have dropped the media seem to be focusing more on case numbers to continue to the fear. A quick glance at the death figures for Spain in recent weeks makes a complete mockery of all the scaremongering of their 'second wave'. On the day that we imposed a quarantine on Spanish arrivals Spain had 3 deaths. Although I'm sure the wave is '2 weeks away' though, as it has been for the last 2 months.

I'm sure there will be small regional flare ups, probably more in winter, but that isn't going to result in anything approaching a second wave. The virus will not be eradicated, therefore there needs to be a grown up discussion about how best to manage and live with it and people need to know that every small flare up is not a sign of a second wave. Unfortunately the hysterical and irresponsible coverage of this has made this really difficult for people to understand.

What relevance are the deaths, those people for obvious reasons can't pass the virus on to people coming back to Scotland, the number of active cases is obviously the relevant figure. 

Just now, Detournement said:

Sturgeon clearly wants a country of waddling couch potatoes.

She is terrified of the Swoletariat. 

Studies have shown that people who weight train are more likely to have right wing views.  Clearly the woke SJWs in the SNP are running scared of the well muscled based gymbro army of Rogan-heads champing at the bit to get lifting.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Do you need a gym to do squats? 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Studies have shown that people who weight train are more likely to have right wing views.  Clearly the woke SJWs in the SNP are running scared of the well muscled based gymbro army of Rogan-heads champing at the bit to get lifting.

I don't doubt that for a second. 

However if lifters were to somehow take out their airpods and achieve class consciousness then they would be a historical force unlike any other.

Edited by Detournement

There are few more loathesome subsets in our society than gym-goers, so I for one am delighted that the preening arseholes are denied the opportunity to get back to #fitspo and #gymselfies for the time being. 

The Office for National Statistics have released a report comparing all cause mortality across countries and regions in Europe.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/comparisonsofallcausemortalitybetweeneuropeancountriesandregions/januarytojune2020

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Describing a virus as "very dangerous" when it has sent no one to ICU in 21 days, and caused 1 death in the same time frame is ridiculous.

Already laying the groundwork for digging the feet in again in 3 weeks time as well 🙃

Tunnel vision towards getting to zero cases, something which is likely impossible so long as our borders remain open.

700,000 global death count, but it’s not dangerous. Cool.

Have you considered that the current low numbers of ICU admissions and deaths may be in anyway linked to the measures that the Scottish Government have taken? The very measures that you’ve seemingly been criticising this entire thread?

10 minutes ago, David W said:

:lol: Swinney getting told off for heckling.

1400 new teachers will be spread pretty thinly across the 2400 schools in Scotland.

Just over half a teacher each. Might work if the schools are next door to each other, otherwise the other half day will be wasted travelling...

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

There's no evidence that what you have described is seasonal and not to do with patterns of movement introducing the virus at different rates.

What we are seeing in Australia and Catalonia is probably down to the virus incubating in high density, poor quality housing during lockdown and transmitting to the wider community once lockdown is lifted. 

What I think you are suggesting is that for some reason the virus in the initial phases was only spread to the Northern Hemisphere, and didn't reach the Southern Hemisphere until 2 or 3 months later?

That makes no sense and the data does not show this. Incidentally it was widely reportedly that Covid was found in Brazil in November. However I will stick to using official cases. If you look at when the first official cases were recorded in UK and, for example Brazil, they were initially only a couple of weeks behind us (which was partly the availability of testing probably, but we'll ignore that). Brazil had their first recorded case on the 25th February. On that same date the UK had 9 cases. Yet it wasn't until mid May that Brazil started to see a real exponential increase, yet by mid-May in the UK we were about 6 weeks past our peak, it looks like Brazil haven't even reached their peak yet despite having (official) cases for 5 months! I picked Brazil just as it's the biggest in South America but the same applies for all the South American countries. Including countries with hard, military enforced lockdowns like Peru and Argentina, so the use of a lockdown is not a significant factor here. Identical pattern in South Africa on a different continent where their lockdown was ridiculously strict. The South are all experiencing much longer, slightly flatter curves through the winter, whereas Europe was shorter and steeper, ending abruptly as summer approached. The exact reasons why are debatable, but the fact itself is undeniable.

It is quite clear from when countries saw their first cases that the virus spread everywhere initially around roughly the same time - within a few weeks at most, but the pattern from then on was vastly different depending on the season. There are numerous other things which affect this clearly, and big countries like USA which span varying climates from Alaska to the Sunshine States will see huge variations (which we are also seeing), but it is undeniable looking at the figures that the North and South have been worst affected at different times of year - which is literally the definition of seasonal.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Do you need a gym to do squats? 

To do a safe barbell squat, yes.  If I'd known it was going to be six months I'd have joined the rush to build a home gym, although now we are selling our house we dont' have room in the garage.

There are few more loathesome subsets in our society than gym-goers, so I for one am delighted that the preening arseholes are denied the opportunity to get back to #fitspo and #gymselfies for the time being. 
The subset that posts on Jambos Kickback?