Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The English strategy appears to be based on keeping infections below 1,000 per day nationally, whilst allowing a gradual return to normal.
They seem to be accepting of a residual level of cases so long as the number of people in hospital, hospital admissions and deaths are falling, which, at least for now, they are.
I wouldn't put it past BJ to remove the requirement to social distance in November, and replace it with an advisory message instead to do so "where possible"

The “requirement” was already removed. In England the only laws that remain in force pertaining to Covid are:

- No gatherings of more than 30 people

- Certain businesses forced to remain closed (nightclubs etc)

- Certain localised measures imposed by councils including the Leicester lockdown

Everything else is just “guidance” now. For example, we are supposed to limit indoor gatherings to 6 people from 2 households, however the police are powerless to enforce anything as long as the number of people is below 30.

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I went to a venue today and had to get my temperature checked. It got me thinking what happens when someone who’s job requires a temp check regularly gets a cold/flu and their temperature increases? Will they have to go to a test centre or would a high temp justify 14 days self isolating at home? 

Just asked my offshore HSE chief (who gave me a check no more than 30 mins ago), just for you.  ;)

Answer (for offshore work at least):  Procedure is that if I fail the temp' test then I'm punted into quarantine and given a few hours to cool down.  If I fail again, I'm back into quarantine until a chopper comes to take me back onshore where I'm given a test, with a further quarantine until a negative result is achieved.  However, if the temperature remains high, then I'm not allowed back to work, regardless of any Covid result.

The procedure on the way to work involves a Covid test followed by a nights quarantine in a hotel.  If there's a negative result then I have to pass the temperature check to enter the heliport.  If I fail that then I don't go. 

So don't catch anything that gives you a fever (or drag 30kg worth of kit through a hotel immediately before the temp' check). 

Edited by Hedgecutter

Happened at my work the other day. Boy got sent home and told to sort a test

I went to a venue today and had to get my temperature checked. It got me thinking what happens when someone who’s job requires a temp check regularly gets a cold/flu and their temperature increases? Will they have to go to a test centre or would a high temp justify 14 days self isolating at home? 

It is, but it happens. Regularly.
It really doesn't. The police are patrolling these beaches on good days as though they were an OF game. Pretty much stamped it out and the teens have stopped coming now for a good few years. Safer Shores was their campaign that stopped it, quite impressive for once.

15 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Well that looks like Belgium is going to be back on the U.K. quarantine list after Antwerp decided to do a Leicester 

They won the league?

9 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

No they get shot on site, burnt on the spot.

Keep cool..mutherfucker 

On 27/07/2020 at 21:51, Jacksgranda said:

Not yet, they're (probably) making it compulsory in August.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-53528661

We've been very good here following government advice/directions, it's absolutely baffling that so few are wearing masks. AFAIK masks are compulsory on public transport, without any great issues.

Listening to Radio Ulster yesterday afternoon, apparently there's 25% non compliance. No idea how that figure is arrived at.

13 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Listening to Radio Ulster yesterday afternoon, apparently there's 25% non compliance. No idea how that figure is arrived at.

You take the number of non compliant people, divide it by the total number of  people and multiply by 100.

Hth

Is it just me that thinks talk of a second wave is nonsense? There will inevitably be ups and downs in case numbers everywhere but there seems to be a number of people who think a second wave will basically be another round of what we went through in March/April. Surely no government anywhere (even the UK) would be that incompetent or unprepared that they would allow case numbers to get anywhere near the levels they were at previously.

My view is that we'll have one wave of this which we'll either have to see out or learn to live with until such times as a vaccine is widely available.

Think it's mentioned because of historical cases of pandemics? So called "second waves" happened. I do feel though that it's fast becoming a cliche for brain-dribbling morons to sound smart. 
Yeah, the Spanish flu came in waves because it was seasonal so totally died down and then resurged.

Covid-19 shows no sign of being seasonal and therefore is just going to come at us consistently with spikes happening in areas at times and measures will need put in place to counteract them. So far, test and protect up here seems to be doing an excellent job and has managed to quell two spikes out of two so far without extreme measures, let's see how Port Glasgow plays out.

The the only country in the world that is letting it out of control again is the USA and arguably that's because they didn't suppress it enough from the initial surge, England is arguably in a similar position in not driving down cases to close to 0 before releasing measures but even they seem to have a handle on it compared with the states.

I am confident the other devolved nations especially NI and Scotland will be able to manage outbreaks sufficiently to avoid any further restrictions but we shall see.

30 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Is it just me that thinks talk of a second wave is nonsense? There will inevitably be ups and downs in case numbers everywhere but there seems to be a number of people who think a second wave will basically be another round of what we went through in March/April. Surely no government anywhere (even the UK) would be that incompetent or unprepared that they would allow case numbers to get anywhere near the levels they were at previously.

My view is that we'll have one wave of this which we'll either have to see out or learn to live with until such times as a vaccine is widely available.

It is absolute nonsense. A huge number of the vulnerable people who were at risk to this type of virus have sadly passed so we wouldn't get anything like the same numbers of deaths in the near future. Plus there is far more focus on protecting the vulnerable than there was 5 month ago anyway. Case numbers really aren't that important anymore - countries are testing more which gives the impression of an increase, and there are question marks over the accuracy anyway, it is ICU admissions and deaths that are crucial and all across Europe they have reduced back down to their normal level for this time of year. It is noteworthy that as deaths and ICU admissions have dropped the media seem to be focusing more on case numbers to continue to the fear. A quick glance at the death figures for Spain in recent weeks makes a complete mockery of all the scaremongering of their 'second wave'. On the day that we imposed a quarantine on Spanish arrivals Spain had 3 deaths. Although I'm sure the wave is '2 weeks away' though, as it has been for the last 2 months.

I'm sure there will be small regional flare ups, probably more in winter, but that isn't going to result in anything approaching a second wave. The virus will not be eradicated, therefore there needs to be a grown up discussion about how best to manage and live with it and people need to know that every small flare up is not a sign of a second wave. Unfortunately the hysterical and irresponsible coverage of this has made this really difficult for people to understand.

27 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Yeah, the Spanish flu came in waves because it was seasonal so totally died down and then resurged.

Covid-19 shows no sign of being seasonal and therefore is just going to come at us consistently with spikes happening in areas at times and measures will need put in place to counteract them. So far, test and protect up here seems to be doing an excellent job and has managed to quell two spikes out of two so far without extreme measures, let's see how Port Glasgow plays out.

The the only country in the world that is letting it out of control again is the USA and arguably that's because they didn't suppress it enough from the initial surge, England is arguably in a similar position in not driving down cases to close to 0 before releasing measures but even they seem to have a handle on it compared with the states.

I am confident the other devolved nations especially NI and Scotland will be able to manage outbreaks sufficiently to avoid any further restrictions but we shall see.

Sorry but I don't know what data you are looking at. The entire Northern Hemisphere saw peak deaths in March/April, at that point Southern Hemisphere countries had hardly any deaths. From late April/May onwards Europe's deaths plummeted whilst every single South American country saw an almost uniform increase in deaths. As did Southern Africa. And more recently Australia, who managed to repress it for a while but have now been hit. New Zealand have managed to stop it so far by almost preventing it getting into their country, but they are the exception and aren't through their winter yet.

There are obviously numerous other factors within countries which affect it which cause variations, but it clearly has a huge seasonal element to it.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Genuine question about temperature checks...

Does a high body temperature caused by a fever somehow show up any different from one which is simply due to 'normal' reasons (eg. Due to just having undertaken exercise/wearing more layers of clothing than needed)?

Is the test measuring the temperature of a different part of the body which can distinguish between the 2?

There's no evidence that what you have described is seasonal and not to do with patterns of movement introducing the virus at different rates.

What we are seeing in Australia and Catalonia is probably down to the virus incubating in high density, poor quality housing during lockdown and transmitting to the wider community once lockdown is lifted.